“Great Front Desk Staff, large rooms, a bit worn”

Quality Inn Midway Airport
Ranked #141 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Lakewood, WA
“Great Front Desk Staff, large rooms, a bit worn”
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We selected this hotel based on rate and free parking. Cicero was not my 1st choice of town to stay in but this hotel is close to Midway airport and they have a shuttle. The hotel is a bit worn but the rooms are large, internet is free in room and there is a business center and workout room (neither of which we used.) We used the free internet from the room and had no problem connecting or with speed of connection. A/C in the room is a bit of pain as it's a wall unit that makes the room too cold and blows on you but we dealt with it. Amenities in bath were not fancy but adequate. The price we paid for this hotel was quite equitable especially since another major name brand down the street was double our price here.
The front desk staff was excellent, especially the day manager. We got an excellent suggestion for dinner from the evening staff, Louie's Chop House. We didn't try the food in the hotel. The area is not the best but it's not dangerous; it's on a busy road and well lit and convenient to shopping.
We found the bed too soft for us but the bedding was in excellent condition, as were bath linens. No fridge, but has a coffee maker, iron, hair dryer, which all worked fine.
The free shuttle service was nice to have as they give you a ride to bus or train and explain how it works and make recommendations on what type of ride pass you will need/want.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed September 8, 2009

On the positive side, the staff members were friendly and responsvie. The carpets had massive stains and were not well-vacuumed. The rooms were comfortable, but found pubic hair in the tub and in the soap dish next to the sink. Asked to change rooms, found pubic hair in that tub as well plus trash on top of the TV that I guess the maid did not or could not see. I remember when the name "Sheraton" meant something - not sure if that still holds true based on my latest experiences with this chain.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Larry G

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Chicago,IL
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I will never in my life stay at this place again. I've stayed at much nicer looking , more courteous staff, and top of the line hotels that make this hotel look like DIRT!! It was definately not worth an almost $3,000.00 stay.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank unfairtreatment
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 10, 2008

I was really pleased with this stay. We chose it due to points usage, so I didn't expect much since it is so far out of the city. The neighborhood it's in may be a little questionable but is pretty suburban; just seemed to be a lot of run down buildings within a mile range. The shuttle driver (I think his name was Jeff) was the sweetest man ever and he gave us a lot of city history on our travels back and forth to the Orange line. The hotel was pretty clean, decor was pretty standard. The carpet and a few other things were starting to show some age, but well kept in general. A new girl at the front desk was pretty incompetent and resulted in some long waits for pickups and some confusion about billing, but it was clear that she was in training (or soon to be fired!). All in all, my three night stay here was pretty acceptable, and better than I expected.

The only thing that is really frustrating is public transit. I guess I'm jaded from a recent stay in NYC, but the El just doesn't run to as many places, and from this specific hotel it's about a 3-5 minute shuttle ride. Getting there is fine, but waiting for pickups stinks. Also, depending on the shuttle schedule, time of day, etc, it can be up to a 45 minute ride average to the loop and possibly longer on the way back. We were in and out of the city a lot, and wasted a good part of the weekend on the El. If you plan on changing your clothes in the evenings, or want to make pit stops back at the hotel, you may wish to opt for something in the city. Had I known it would take so long I would've paid the extra money to stay closer.

One really cool thing about this location, however, is that it is within walking distance to a mall, Target, Best Buy, a drugstore, and some other really good places to get things you forgot or chose not to pack.

• Liked — The shuttle driver, cleanliness, proximity to daily needs stores.
  • Disliked — Proximity to train station, desk staff.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spoothed
South Dakota
Reviewed September 21, 2008

Pretty decent stay. Room was clean and roomy, price was affordable. Amenities were nice. Only thing I didn't like was that we had a room on the fourth floor and were carrying shopping bags to and from the elevators. Neighborhood was less that desireable (groups of people hanging out in the parking lot of the adjacent mall all night - some fighting), but at least there were stores nearby for convenience. Staff at the bar was wonderful, front desk staff not so much. The location is on the edge of town, far away from a lot of places we were visitng (i.e. Downtown). But there was a shuttle to the airport (when the driver feels like showing up), which would get you on the El-Train system.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Bay Area, California
Reviewed August 3, 2008

My nine year old daughter and I were here for one night on the way to the airport.

Pros: Clean room, comfortable beds. Free wireless

Cons: LOUD air conditioner that comes on and off all night waking us up.
Front desk people sullen, slow and uninterested
Messed up room service order
Messed up movie order (twice)
Lobby looks depressing

• Liked — Proximity to airport
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank KingsMountaineer
us
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed at the Four Points on a Saturday night prior to a Sunday morning flight out of Midway. We arrived to the hotel around 8pm. We contacted the hotel for shuttle and didn't have a long wait. Upon entering the lobby we noticed that there were people all over the place as a large family reunion was being held. When I say all over the place - I mean people laying on couches, all over the chairs, surfing the internet like they were sitting at home (my concern - what if a traveller would like to check in for their morning flight - We had done that from home).
I booked this room using my starwood points - had we paid I would have been very disappointed.
Check in:
I over heard the young man state that he had "changed our room" - not sure what that meant.
Room:
We could not get in with the keys issued. The door seemed quite worn. It seemed as though they were not sure what to do about our key situation..
One of the clerks came up and was able to finally get it open.
The room was worn - but OK for just one night.
Dining/Bar
We went to their bar - there was another couple in there and they soon left. We had a couple of beers and then looked at the menu (24 hour dining right next door). Not impressed - may it was the time of our meal (about 9:15)
Check out
Was fine
Shuttle back to airport - we sat there waiting while the driver watched TV. We got to the lobby and were told shuttle would leave at 7am (About 15 minutes). The driver stunned himself when he realized it was 7am. Upon finally getting into the shuttle van the driver needed to tune the radio, adjust his mirrors, adjust his seat....It seemed to take forever. Those seem like things that should have been done prior to us sitting in the van waiting for him to go.
OH - and the walls are paper thin. We heard people shouting in the halls until about 1am. And then it started promply at 6am.
May have been a better stay without the family reunion.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
#4 of 5 in Bedford Park
Best Western Inn & Suites - Midway Airport
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Midway
Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport
Hyatt Place Chicago Midway Airport
Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Midway Airport

Been to Quality Inn Midway Airport? Share your experiences!