“Good budget stay, transit tough w/o a rental.”

Quality Inn Midway Airport
Ranked #141 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 10, 2008

I was really pleased with this stay. We chose it due to points usage, so I didn't expect much since it is so far out of the city. The neighborhood it's in may be a little questionable but is pretty suburban; just seemed to be a lot of run down buildings within a mile range. The shuttle driver (I think his name was Jeff) was the sweetest man ever and he gave us a lot of city history on our travels back and forth to the Orange line. The hotel was pretty clean, decor was pretty standard. The carpet and a few other things were starting to show some age, but well kept in general. A new girl at the front desk was pretty incompetent and resulted in some long waits for pickups and some confusion about billing, but it was clear that she was in training (or soon to be fired!). All in all, my three night stay here was pretty acceptable, and better than I expected.

The only thing that is really frustrating is public transit. I guess I'm jaded from a recent stay in NYC, but the El just doesn't run to as many places, and from this specific hotel it's about a 3-5 minute shuttle ride. Getting there is fine, but waiting for pickups stinks. Also, depending on the shuttle schedule, time of day, etc, it can be up to a 45 minute ride average to the loop and possibly longer on the way back. We were in and out of the city a lot, and wasted a good part of the weekend on the El. If you plan on changing your clothes in the evenings, or want to make pit stops back at the hotel, you may wish to opt for something in the city. Had I known it would take so long I would've paid the extra money to stay closer.

One really cool thing about this location, however, is that it is within walking distance to a mall, Target, Best Buy, a drugstore, and some other really good places to get things you forgot or chose not to pack.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spoothed

Reviewed September 21, 2008

Pretty decent stay. Room was clean and roomy, price was affordable. Amenities were nice. Only thing I didn't like was that we had a room on the fourth floor and were carrying shopping bags to and from the elevators. Neighborhood was less that desireable (groups of people hanging out in the parking lot of the adjacent mall all night - some fighting), but at least there were stores nearby for convenience. Staff at the bar was wonderful, front desk staff not so much. The location is on the edge of town, far away from a lot of places we were visitng (i.e. Downtown). But there was a shuttle to the airport (when the driver feels like showing up), which would get you on the El-Train system.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2008

My nine year old daughter and I were here for one night on the way to the airport.

Pros: Clean room, comfortable beds. Free wireless

Cons: LOUD air conditioner that comes on and off all night waking us up.
Front desk people sullen, slow and uninterested
Messed up room service order
Messed up movie order (twice)
Lobby looks depressing

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank KingsMountaineer
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We stayed at the Four Points on a Saturday night prior to a Sunday morning flight out of Midway. We arrived to the hotel around 8pm. We contacted the hotel for shuttle and didn't have a long wait. Upon entering the lobby we noticed that there were people all over the place as a large family reunion was being held. When I say all over the place - I mean people laying on couches, all over the chairs, surfing the internet like they were sitting at home (my concern - what if a traveller would like to check in for their morning flight - We had done that from home).
I booked this room using my starwood points - had we paid I would have been very disappointed.
Check in:
I over heard the young man state that he had "changed our room" - not sure what that meant.
Room:
We could not get in with the keys issued. The door seemed quite worn. It seemed as though they were not sure what to do about our key situation..
One of the clerks came up and was able to finally get it open.
The room was worn - but OK for just one night.
Dining/Bar
We went to their bar - there was another couple in there and they soon left. We had a couple of beers and then looked at the menu (24 hour dining right next door). Not impressed - may it was the time of our meal (about 9:15)
Check out
Was fine
Shuttle back to airport - we sat there waiting while the driver watched TV. We got to the lobby and were told shuttle would leave at 7am (About 15 minutes). The driver stunned himself when he realized it was 7am. Upon finally getting into the shuttle van the driver needed to tune the radio, adjust his mirrors, adjust his seat....It seemed to take forever. Those seem like things that should have been done prior to us sitting in the van waiting for him to go.
OH - and the walls are paper thin. We heard people shouting in the halls until about 1am. And then it started promply at 6am.
May have been a better stay without the family reunion.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2008

We stayed here for the following reasons:

1. Free Chicago parking
2. Free shuttle to train station at Midway
3. Points per night were 4,000 on Starwood

The employees were extremely friendly and cooperative, the shuttle drivers and front desk bent over backwards to give you anything you needed.

My basic complaint with the property is that it needs a good makeover. Double beds in two bedded rooms are too small for this man and his wife, "we got little or no sleep". Not that we shouldn't lose at least 100 pounds between the two of us, but I do prefer queen beds in two bedded rooms.

The room itself was tidy, but needed updating. Certainly nothing to keep me away from it. The HVAC system was noisy and did not keep the temperature very steady, we spent the night either too hot or too cold -- very little sleep for either of us. The TV didn't work most of the time we were there, we would have moved rooms but weren't in the room enough to bother with that.

Two free computers and printers in the lobby to use for guests were very convenient.

Parking is free here, so we were able to leave our car and use public transportation to get around town at $9 for a two day transit pass. Shuttle service was near immediate every time we needed it. They gave us a number to call when we were approaching the train station to let them know you needed picked up.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2008

Hotel quite clean, friendly, quiet on backside away from Cicero Blv. Reasonably good restaurant on premises. 24 hr shuttle svc, every 20 min or, if they don't have people scheduled, eg in middle of day, will go right away. Will also take you direct to CTA Midway train station. (This is connected by skybridge to airport terminal, but walk from airport is about a quarter mile, so if you like using pub transit train, have shuttle go direct to train/bus station). Room rates are yield-managed to some extent, but got much better rates than downtown, same chain or other starwood affiliates, and I like to read paper, etc on train to loop area. If you don't want/need to be right in Loop, check it out.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We were in Chicago for one night and stayed at Four Points. I enjoyed the stay! The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The location was nice... it was near a shopping mall and only about 2 1/2 miles from Midway airport. Check in went well and the staff was nice. I booked the room through Priceline for a rate of $74 (taxes/fees included) I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank The-Clouds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
#4 of 5 in Bedford Park
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#140 of 191 in Chicago
Amber Inn
#166 of 191 in Chicago

Been to Quality Inn Midway Airport? Share your experiences!