“Stuck Due To Flight Cancellation”

Quality Inn Midway Airport
Ranked #142 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Romeo, Michigan
“Stuck Due To Flight Cancellation”
Reviewed January 3, 2008

My wife and I were in Chicago and staying at a 4 Pts. downtown (see review). When we arrived at Midway Airport we discovered our flight had been cancelled due to weather. I might add that if the airline would have told us on the phone an hour earlier that our flight was cancelled, we would've never left the downtown area.
Anyway, our airline gave us this "distressed traveller" form with a phone number on it. It provided area hotels at a discount. The operator stated that a 4pts. was in the area and was available. Having good luck so far with 4 pts., we decided on this hotel.
After making the reservation, we walked outside and the shuttle was standing by for us. The driver was very nice and helpful with our bags. During the drive, he made small talk with us about our weekend.
Upon arrival to the hotel, we entered a very small lobby. The desk staff was also very nice and gave us information about the hotel amenities. We then went up to our room.
We arrived at the door to our room. It stated "Starwood (something)". Anyway, we thought the room would be of the same quality of the downtown location. The room was large with a king size bed and a couch with a hide away bed. The problem was that the room either was a former "smoking" room or just really musty. The smell was something we just had to get use to being that most of Midway flights were cancelled causing the rooms to fill up. As for cleanliness, we really did not have any complaints. Everything was very clean in the room, just old.
Wanting to check out the area, my wife and I decided to go outside and kill some time. We did go over to the mall next door for a while, however Target, Costco, and other businesses were across a very busy street. If you feel daring enough to cross this street at night during a snowstorm, go ahead. My wife and I just returned to the hotel.
We went to the 24 hr cafe in the hotel. There was a very limited menu. We ended up just splitting a club sandwich which was actually pretty good.
I guess under the circumstances, the hotel wasn't all that bad. The best way that I can describe it would be "tired". Everything just seemed old, outdated. It wasn't on the same level as the 4 pts. downtown. Would I stay there again? No.

• Liked — location to the airport
  • Disliked — musty/smoky room
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachBum874

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
California City, California
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Very nice, affordable option for staying in Chicago. Free shuttle to/from MDW and you can catch the Orange line el from there to go downtown. Granted, the downtown Sheratons have the location, but they also cost three or four times as much as this one. Free Internet access (with printers) in lobby for those without laptops. Some reviewers have commented negatively on the neighborhood, but I found nothing wrong with it. The hotel borders a major shopping center. Costco is across the street. Cicero Avenue is lined with new hotels and restaurants. Plenty of options within walking distance.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank mhkzak
Prairie du Chien, WI
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I had the opportunity to reserve two (2) rooms at the Four Points – Sheraton Chicago Midway on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 for a family funeral. Those in my party were traveling from Minnesota and Wisconsin and needed a hotel for the evening. I looked into many of the properties around the Midway Airport area…where I needed to be (57th & Pulaski) and found the properties either booked OR very expensive for one night…between $200 and $259 per night. Not wanting to spend that much, I chose to go online and see what was available nearby. Just going a few extra blocks past the Midway Centre, I was able to locate the Four Points – Sheraton and got two (2) rooms for about $129 each!

The two rooms were very clean and comfortable. The lobby was small but nice and the 24-hour restaurant on site, which my family used to have dinner around 10PM that night, was very good and the service friendly. The beds in the rooms were the standard “high quality” beds you’d find in most Sheraton hotels. While the neighborhood felt safe…it certainly was nothing to look at and I would not recommend this property for a family getaway. The size of the bathroom was small but very clean. After reading some of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, I was concerned with cleanliness of the bathroom and facility, but following our arrival, I did not observe any poor conditions I had read about in previous reviews. One disappointment was the wireless internet which was extremely weak in my room…while complimentary to guests…I got dropped repeatedly.

I felt the rooms were very comfortable for what I was looking for and by driving another mile on Cicero Avenue we saved a great deal of money. I would recommend the Four Points – Sheraton for any business traveler or someone looking for a stay before leaving from Chicago Midway Airport.

• Liked — Location to Midway Airport Area, Room price.
  • Disliked — No major complaints.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Scott326
UNIONTOWN, OH
Reviewed July 26, 2007

The last night of my stay there was no TV for the entire evening due to a rain storm affecting their satellite dish and then to top off the evening, a large cockroach crawled out of the bathroom sink drain while I was brushing my teeth. Yuk! When I called the front desk, I was told that it was probably just a water bug & it would not hurt me. I encountered another very large cockroach on my shower curtain the next morning so I captured it under a glass in the bathtub to prove that the room had cockroaches. I was given a $30 discount off of my room rate on the last night of my stay and an apology as compensation for the cockroaches! I sent an e-mail to Sheraton and was told that I had been fairly compensated for the problem. I will not be staying there in the future!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — cockroaches!!!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank FENTON64

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

California
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We stayed here because we needed to fly out of Midway. The hotel is not in an elegant neighborhood and our room overlooked a giant paper company warehouse facing east.

Our room was clean, small but fine for 2 of us. A big plus was the computer with printer in the lobby. I had no computer with me and needed to print boarding passes 24 hours before our flight.

We swam in the pool and it was clean and refreshing on a hot day. The staff was very respectful and friendly and our room service portions were huge. The ice machine on the 5th floor was broken but everything else worked, including the iron. I usually do not use hotel toiletries because of the frangrance but the ones at this hotel were citrus without being too much. Very nice.

We drove to the Museum of Science and Industry from here and it took a long time because of street traffic and lack of freeway availability so plan ahead if you need to go downtown.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — not much within walking distance
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 31, 2007

We choose to stay at the Four Points Sheraton Midway after trying for a week unsuccessfully to find an affordable hotel option downtown. We've been to Chicago several times and will be moving to the city soon, so we didn't mind sacrificing a couple of days in the city in exchange for saving serious money (we ended up spending $119/night on a weekend when everything downtown was going for at least $250 or more).

The hotel actually exceeded my expectations in terms of staff friendliness and overall room quality. The free shuttle to and from the airport is a HUGE bonus (they'll take you there to catch the El as well). We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at 11 am - they actually already had a room ready for us to check in after being fully booked the night before. All of the staff were pleasant and helpful. There is a decent gym and an outdoor pool if you have kids interested in swimming. Another bonus is that the hotel is right within short walking distance of a large mall and a movie theater, as well as plenty of other stores/shops. The hotel restaurant actually has decent food, and is open 24 hours.

The only complaints I have about the experience would be that the free wireless was not strong on all areas of the building (we had to shift in our room to pick up the signal, but we were eventually successful, so I wasn't overly upset). The only other issues were that our tub drained slowly and the room had an under window unit air conditioner, which is just a little annoying because the room does not stay temperature controlled very easily (it’s either on continuously and the room ends up getting pretty cold or you have to turn it completely off). Overall however we had a very pleasant stay and I would recommend this hotel to tourists that are on a budget and have not been able to find affordable options in the city or a business traveler that has business in this area.

• Liked — Price, free 24 hour shuttle service to/from airport
  • Disliked — wireless access signal not strong enough
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eebtraveler
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed April 11, 2007

I've stayed here a couple of times before, the last time in August 2005. It seems as though things have been spruced up a bit since that last stay. Rooms are clean and comfortable with excellent beds and a couch for lounging about. Bathrooms are nice with good amenities, though I found the flourescent lighting a bit harsh. Internet access is free, the wifi signal is strong and access to it is explained well. There's plenty of shopping and restaurants within walking distance, and the hotel restaurant is open 24 hours now. Parking is free, and the shuttle to Midway (airport or the CTA station) is a good option in case you're without a car.
Best of all, from what I've seen in online searches, the Four Points is usually cheaper than any of the other Midway-area hotels, even the Sleep Inn in the Midway hotel center. All in all, you can't go wrong here.

• Liked — The great location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank eromitlabhitw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
#4 of 5 in Bedford Park
Best Western Inn & Suites - Midway Airport
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Midway
Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport
Hyatt Place Chicago Midway Airport
Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Midway Airport

Been to Quality Inn Midway Airport? Share your experiences!