“Hospitality in Play”

Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North
Ranked #82 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Last weekend I attended the NRA Show with a group from my college and stayed at this Holiday Inn in Chicago.
The hotel is in a spacious and convenient location readily accessible to everything in the city.
The décor is contemporary with a well appointed lobby, restaurant and bar on the 15th floor.
Our room on the 17th floor was very nice.
The staff was efficient, courteous and very helpful.
Russell, the concierge, was especially gracious with suggestions and information about Chicago's many attractions.

On our last day,as I was getting ready to leave, I accidentally hit my head on the towel rack and it started bleeding.
My roommate called the front desk and the manager on duty,Karolina Gadza, came to our room immediately offering to call an ambulance and asking if I needed a doctor.
The bleeding stopped and all I asked for was some coffee and more towels which she brought herself.
She allowed me to stay in my room past checkout and Thomas, the restaurant manager called my room and sent up breakfast.
Ms. Gadza checked on me periodically. She was very kind.

The Holiday Inn Mart Plaza is an excellent hotel with a superior staff who are more than willing to accommodate their guests.
Even with a cut head, I had a wonderful stay and would readily recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Chicago.

Lana F.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
ChicagoMartPlaza, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Lana, thank you for your 5-star review and recommendation! We greatly appreciate your kind words about our Staff and are so thrilled you had a wonderful stay. We certainly hope your head is okay and you are feeling better! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Check in was prompt, service was friendly. The room on the upper floor faced the river. The view was magnificent. The bar was enjoyable. The breakfast buffet at the restaurant was great! Overall, nice hotel, comfortable rooms, great service and friendly staff.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Traveler, thank you for your 5-star review. Prompt and friendly service is exactly what we strive for and our magnificent views are an added bonus! We are so pleased you had a chance to experience our Cityscape Bar with its extensive menu ranging from bottle and draft premium beer to wine to specialty cocktails and martinis, even food! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

Kevin P at the front desk made my check in real easy ! Very personable toward me . What a warm welcome to a nice hotel in a great city. The room was clean and comfortable, and this hotel offer some of the best city views available! Great deal

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear John, thank you for your 5-star review! We strive to provide our guests with great service and are so pleased Kevin was able to provide a memorable check-in experience. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We chose the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza because we were travelling with friends who were attending a conference at the hotel. It was nowhere near the top of the tripadvisor list and I likely wouldn't have come across it. The price was reasonable for a big city and we paid a bit extra for a view room. And boy did we get a view! The room was newly and nicely renovated and included a great breakfast buffet. Hotel location was excellent although we had some trouble finding it at first since the lobby is on the 14th floor and it's not well marked from the street. There were a couple of things that bugged us but they were minor: the fitness room was well equipped but not air conditioned and there was too much emphasis placed on how much of a tip should be left at breakfast. But overall, we would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for the view room. It was so worth it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Tad, thank you for the review! We are so pleased you had the opportunity to stay with us in our newly renovated rooms and experience our fantastic Chicago River and skyline views. Lobby signage is coming soon and part of the finishing touches on our $40 million hotel renovations! We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Within 10 minutes walking distance of the magnificant mile. Parking charge in out front and charge is $45 US per day hence if you want a cheap hotel this is not the place. I booked on line because I did not mark the breakfast box I was unable to add breakfast at booking time at the counter. I cannot understand that rule I wish to upgrade to add breakfast crazy!!. Rooms start at level 16 up to 23, reception on level 15 which works ok, we had a room on 17 very average better in Hilton Hamptons. Our room had no fridge or micro wave and we were charged $2000 US for 3 nights includes 3 days for the car park. We arrived on a sunday departed on a wednesday so thats $668 per night. This is a rip off, look at the web site and some nights are only $150 per night. It appears they inflate prices beyond reason, the only thing on was a yankies vs cubs baseball game on monday night. Our hallway was dark and dull false ceiling drooping on the 17 th floor it felt damp. House cleaners doing great job internet works well. Bar at level 15 reasonable price for drinks wine $9.
Location is good breakfast dinner restaurants only 5 minutes walk to Mckinzie street.
We are touring the US since 24 April visiting many places starting in St Louis on 24 April we have been in 7 Holiday Inns and 8 Hilton Hamptons during our trip. I can say this hotel has our lowest rating so unless you have no other options give this place a miss. If levels 22/23 have been upgraded this hotel can be too expensive. Great views from our window across the river was outstanding and some reflections on a glass clad building opposite was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with river view a fridge and micro wave.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Traveler, thank you for your review and continued patronage of the Holiday Inn. We wish you safe travels throughout your trip and thank you for stopping in Chicago!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This is a very nice property that sits above the Sun-Times Building on the north bank of the Chicago River. Since it occupies Floors 14 to 26 and sits a little west of the Magnificent Mile and northwest of the Loop, it offers some beautiful views of Chicago, both during the day and especially at night. The best views are on the east side of the building and if you splurge on a suite, the southeast and northeast corner rooms are fantastic. The rooms themselves are very comfortable and nicely decorated and furnished - but you will spend most of your time gazing out the windows and not at the room. And you are very close to the action of downtown Chicago. I found the front desk process to be slow and there were always phone calls interrupting the process but my only real complaint was in finding a cup of coffee in the morning. No coffee maker in the room, no coffee in the lobby (you need to go into the restaurant if you want coffee) and the cafe on the ground floor is not open on Sundays.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rich B
ChicagoMartPlaza, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear Rich, thank you for your kind review and we are delighted you enjoyed your experience with us! From our river and skyline views to the modern décor of our recently renovated rooms down to our convenient River North location, we are happy we could accommodate your needs. We do appreciate your suggestion of offering coffee in our lobby and will be sure to discuss it with our Staff. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

I really enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza. Its really conveniently located and I really enjoyed my stay. I came in for a small work conference and the service was great. Even upon arriving a Mr. Kevin Perry checked me in and went above and beyond. He was very polite and helped my roommate and I figure out the best place to have dinner, even offering to make us a reservation. The maid who cleaned my room was very sweet and the hotel staff was very accommodating. I'd definitely recommend anyone to stay here. The room was very comfortable and the view of downtown chicago was breathtaking. If I had one complaint it would be that the alarm clock randomly went off in the wee hours but it wasn't a huge inconvenience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 23rd floor have the best view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Brittnee B

Dear Brittnee, thank you for that fantastic 5-star review and recommendation! We are so pleased we could accommodate you and your roommate during your business conference. We look forward to your next stay with us in Chicago!