“Very nice, but with some surprising inconsistencies.”

Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North
Ranked #84 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel starts on the 15th floor of the Chicago Sun Times building - There is an amazingly beautiful lobby up there complete with a city-view bar and very nice looking restaurant. The hotel has a HUGE pool (you could literally do laps in it), but no hot tub. It has a nice fitness center as well ~ all on the 16th floor. The conference center is in the 'basement' (14th floor). The lunch we were served was probably the best lunch I've ever had at a conference. Because of that, we were really looking forward to lunch on the second day, but imagine our surprise when we were served it, and it turned out to be almost exactly the same meal...delicious, but two days in a row? Puzzling. Our room was average for the most part, though the sink was cracked, the lining on the tub was pealing and the shower curtain didn't fit (room 1750). The view from the room of the Chicago River and the city was amazing.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Recent Guest,
Thank you so much for the review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We do suggest menu items for banquets, in this case; we served what was ordered. Please visit us again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,218)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Coming from Europe, it is important to remember a couple of pointers when arriving at the airport. I wanted to buy a CTA pass for my stay when I arrived at the train terminal, but of course the machines doesn't give you any change. Most foreign VISA cards will not work either, so it is important to have small bills/coins in US dollars. So I walked for an another 5 minutes upstair to the bus station, and I boughts some snacks at the kiosk so I could get some small bills. Another option is to buy something straight after you are exiting the customs in the shops or McDonalds in the arrival hall. It is 6-10 minutes walk to the train station so it important that you have your money ready. I bought a 5 day card for US 22,50, so that's OK. The train takes around 40 minutes downtown and for this hotel you exit on the station called Clark&Lake. Then you can walk to the hotel , but it the easiest to taking the Brown line direction Kimball one stop to Merch&Mart. From there you just follow the walkway to the hotel through the shopping center.

First time to Chicago in December and I stayed 2 nights at this hotel. I got a big nice corner room on the 23th floor facing north -west. The room was very good, and I have nothing to complain about. I didn' try the breakfast as I went early out in the morning for walking and eating at Subway and Starbucks. There is also a small deli shop downstairs on first floor where they sell you some food. As the hotel is beside a large shopping center there is also some food shops like McDonalds,Jumbo juice etc in the building but I didn't try out any of these shop. There is a Starbucks just 100 meters behind the hotel, a Subway and a CVS where I did most of my shopping these two days at the hotel.

It was not very much people staying at the hotel as my stay was in the Christmas week. However, I liked it the hotel and if you get a good price , I think you will not regret it. I will certainly try them again next time in Chicago !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

In chicago for work at the merchandise mart and stayed directly across the street at the holiday inn so that made it easy. The only downsides i found was parking was a walk from the building, but since i didnt have to drive and just walked across the street for work no big deal. Also bars and restraunts are also a good walk from the hotel (it was jan. so obviously cold) but there was two in the hotel lobby and a little deli downstairs. The room was clean and nice. A cool downtown veiw pretty much on the river. Noisy heat/ac unit in the room but nothing ridiculous. Overall just a decent clean place with a friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2013
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Recent Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind review. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next visit. Please visit our concierge next time you are in town, there are dozens of nightlife opportunities close.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Prior to arriving I contacted the hotel asking for a quiet room, and what a superb room I got! It was a corner room on the 23rd floor, very spacious, with fantastic city views. It seems that a few floors are under renovation. My room in particular, seems to have had a bathroom upgrade (no tub though, and the shower had a weak/inconsistent water pressure), but not the room itself. It had outdated furniture, but a big and new flat screen tv. The bed was way too soft for my liking and the pillows too high. It was disappointing not to have a safe in the room. Reception is located on the 15th floor, rooms are located from floors 16 to 23. It's located in a very quiet area, but not too far from some of the main attractions that Chicago offers. The Brown Line is directly connected to the hotel. Elevators are plenty and fast. Hotel seems to cater mainly to conventions, which was my case. Food was good. Overall, a very good place to stay in downtown Chicago!

Room Tip: Room 2345. It's a corner room with lots of windows, offering great views of Chicago's downto...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Recent Guest,
We appreciate your business and we certainly rely on our guests review. Thank you so very much! As you can see, we continue to improve our hotel and our services to make the Mart Plaza, your choice when visiting Chicago. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and recently attended a concert in Chicago and stayed at the Mart Plaza. Great location for access to theater district, restaurants and Michigan Avenue. Nice setting on the river with a charming lobby bar that takes full advantage of the river view. Concierge assistance was top notch. Rooms are nicely appointed, clean but not "upscale". A very good value.

Room Tip: Request a river view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J H
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have stayed here for business and privately. The location is very convenient and in waling distance to the main streets. Of course you could live more central (talking about maybe 500meters) but then the prices are getting much higher! The rooms are nice, sometimes the air condition could be more quiet. The breakfast and lobby are is what it is made for and spacious. The bar is outstanding as you have a really nice view towards the river! I also attanded a conference this year in this hotel and can say that it was well organized and the rooms were great. Taking price, location, the bar and the room into consideration this is my favourist in chicago.
By the way this hotel is very convenient to walk to Hubbard Street where you can find great bars and restaurants. Basically this is where the nightlife is!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I always try to stay here when I'm in Chicago. The hotel has been remodeled and the rooms are always clean and tidy. The staff is friendly, the bar is terrific and the view from the bar is one of the best in Chicago. Pound for pound, it's one of the best values one can find. One complaint. The remote controls for the TVs are really tough to use, in terms of transmitting a signal.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Recent Guest,

We really appreciate you! And, we thank for your comments. We are continuing to improve the Mart Plaza for your future visits.