“Nice hotel, Great location”

Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North
Ranked #82 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. Its about a 20 min taxi ride from the Midway airport. It has a very nice view of the Chicago River. From the room, I could watch boats on the river, and see the Metra (city train) in the distance as it made its rounds. This was cool for me since I live in the country. Its in walking distance of several resturaunts, starbucks and a CVS. They dont have a free breakfast, but there is a deli on the ground floor that I visited every morning and had a bacon, egg & cheese bagel, and a coffee for $5. There were always taxis there waiting, and there was always someone there to wave them up for you. The staff was more than friendly. I actually spilled my coffee on the way back up to my room one morning and one of the roomkeepers saw it, cleaned it up immediatly, and later, to my surprise, brought me a fresh pot of coffee!! I visited the bar on the 15th floor after work twice, good drinks and great service. If youre in the area, I highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing the river for a better view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Recent Guest,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. We hope that you visit us again soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just stayed 6 nights here and enjoyed my stay. It was so cool sitting in the lounge looking over the river as the sun was going down. Such a great location!! The rooms were standard nothing special but the staff was AMAZING! I will be back here with my family. Ask for a river view and stay away from the elevator rooms. The food was decent but it is a hotel so venture out. Ronnies Steakhouse was cool, found a great place for sushi, Sushi Sai (all you can eat) I know what your thinking but it was amazing. The best meal we had was at Coco Pazzo. The hotel all in all was nice as I was worried that it would be loud since my room was located in the main area and there were a lot of happenings going on at the hotel but it was quiet. The price is Chicago a little more that what I am usually paying but on the less expencive compared to the rest of the town. Bring your walking shoes if you really want to see the city, the el is close and so is the train.

Dear Recent Guest,

It sounds like you had a great time! We appreciate the review and your business. Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was by far the nicest Holiday Inn that I have ever stayed in. If you can, get the room that is on one of the corners of the hotel. This room has an amazing view with a ton of windows. The room was also very clean and had a really nice shower. Having a couch in the room was also nice.

But, there were a few drawbacks. The hotel charges 40 dollars per night to park there. Also, you do not get free breakfast at this hotel. You have to book a time for you breakfast at the front desk. You can't even just walk in and have breakfast.

But, the rooms are superior here. So i feel obligated to still give a good rating.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Recent Guest,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to your next visit to Chicago. We would like to clarify the Breakfast comments and hope that you might contact us to discuss. Our Restaurant is open to all guests and there is no need to schedule a breakfast time at all.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The first thing you will notice about this location is the great views. Once you get up to the hotel lobby, there are amazing views of Chicago and the river. The front desk, lobby, and restaurants are nicer than what I expected.

This alters as you make your way up to the room. The elevators have gremlins in the buttons. One elevator has a panel in which not all of the buttons work. Yet the panel on the other side of the door (in the same elevator) will allow you to select your floor. Elevator 17 had a curious habit of not stopping at a floor while decending. I was on the 22nd floor and visited colleagues in a room on the 20th floor. Twice, in the same elevator, the 20th floor was selected and illuminated, but the elevator did not stop. Once I was down to the bottom floor, the light for the 20th went dim. I then had to travel back up to the 20th floor.

My room was tasteful. The bathroom was renovated: nice tile and wallpaper, granite counter, dark woods. I could see all of the northern parts of the city and had glimpses of Lake Michigan. The big disappointment was the loud airconditioner. I commented at the front desk after my second night of the loud droning. It supposedly was "fixed", but it continued throughout my stay. Having visited another room, I know that the a/c could have been a lot quieter.

Another noise issue is the atrium. It is 9 levels, with room doors accessed off the exposed walkways. One night on a weekend, just as I was about to turn off the light, I heard loud piano playing and singing. It sounded like a bunch of drunk people letting loose. Other times just the sheer number of people in the lobby/bar/restaurant would send large amounts of noise up to the rooms.

The free wifi is patchy. I got good reception most of the time, but it nearly froze between 8-10pm - high traffic times on the internet. My colleague in a large room by the elevator had abismal wifi reception.

The staff members were great. Aaron at the bell desk was superb. Another surprise was the amazing menu for room service. Two colleagues and I had dinner in a room while working, and each was presented with incredibly tasty, well presented meals.

This Holiday Inn has a great location, city views, and touches of taste in the lobby and food choices. It is severly hampered by old electrical appliances (elevators and room air conditioners) that are in need of replacement. It's on the verge of being a great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Recent Guest,

We truly appreciate your comments and your patronage. And, we are so pleased to tell everyone that we are in the process of modernizing our Express and Guest Elevators; all (6) six, inside and out! We are spending over 2.5 million dollars. We hope that you will come visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Good location right next to Brown Line stop at Merchandise Mart. Got a room for $105 on Priceline, so don't pay full price! One issue we had was with room service. Someone took the liberty of adding a $10 tip which we noticed on our bill. Things just didn't add up. So make sure if you order room service that you review your bill closely!

• Stayed: October 2012
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you so very much for the kind review. We are sorry to hear of the error and hope that it was corrected immediately. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This was my third time staying here in as many years and my experience was pretty much the same: great location by shops, eateries from Au Bon Pain to Kinzie Chop House were so convenient, fairly good service, etc. But the rooms badly need updating as the carpets, linens, drapes and furniture were stained and very worn looking. At least the bed was comfortable though and bed-bug-free during my stay. I would stay at this hotel again, I suppose, but until the rooms are updated it will only be a utilitarian, average, not very pleasing run-of-the-mill choice for me and I might bet for most guests. A star will always be lost when I have to crawl under the desk and unplug the lamp in order to get a plug near enough to power up my laptop to do some work, for example!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank CardCarrier

Dear Recent Guest,

We appreciate your review and your patronage. We are in the midst of a major guest room renovation and we are more than sure you will be pleased.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The room was dated. Smelly too. Water was cold for a long time so you had to wait for your shower. A person named Robert working at one of the desks, helped himself to a tip while giving me some change for a hop on and hop off bus that I preordered from him. Just a shady character...So many bell hops chatting and not helping. Left a really sour experience for me. Never again. Chicago is my kind of town but this hotel is not my kind even on the 2 star level hotel. The doors were slammed real loud and too much ecco. Did not grt one nights sleep. To the manager please do not write to me, there is nothing you can do to improve. Maybe Donald Trump can fix the place now that he owns the building.

Dear Recent Guest,

We are very surprised to hear of your experience. We have always received nothing but praise regarding our Concierge’s service to our guests. Our Concierge, per the hop on hop off bus sells a $33 ticket, saving you $2 at the bus. The bus company gives the Concierge a tip for doing this, not the guest. We are saddened to hear of your overall experience and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Mr. Trump does not own our building.