“Nice hotel - but review your bill!”

Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North
Ranked #82 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Nice hotel - but review your bill!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Good location right next to Brown Line stop at Merchandise Mart. Got a room for $105 on Priceline, so don't pay full price! One issue we had was with room service. Someone took the liberty of adding a $10 tip which we noticed on our bill. Things just didn't add up. So make sure if you order room service that you review your bill closely!

• Stayed October 2012
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you so very much for the kind review. We are sorry to hear of the error and hope that it was corrected immediately. We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Korean first
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This was my third time staying here in as many years and my experience was pretty much the same: great location by shops, eateries from Au Bon Pain to Kinzie Chop House were so convenient, fairly good service, etc. But the rooms badly need updating as the carpets, linens, drapes and furniture were stained and very worn looking. At least the bed was comfortable though and bed-bug-free during my stay. I would stay at this hotel again, I suppose, but until the rooms are updated it will only be a utilitarian, average, not very pleasing run-of-the-mill choice for me and I might bet for most guests. A star will always be lost when I have to crawl under the desk and unplug the lamp in order to get a plug near enough to power up my laptop to do some work, for example!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank CardCarrier
Dear Recent Guest,

We appreciate your review and your patronage. We are in the midst of a major guest room renovation and we are more than sure you will be pleased.
Toronto, ON
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The room was dated. Smelly too. Water was cold for a long time so you had to wait for your shower. A person named Robert working at one of the desks, helped himself to a tip while giving me some change for a hop on and hop off bus that I preordered from him. Just a shady character...So many bell hops chatting and not helping. Left a really sour experience for me. Never again. Chicago is my kind of town but this hotel is not my kind even on the 2 star level hotel. The doors were slammed real loud and too much ecco. Did not grt one nights sleep. To the manager please do not write to me, there is nothing you can do to improve. Maybe Donald Trump can fix the place now that he owns the building.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Recent Guest,

We are very surprised to hear of your experience. We have always received nothing but praise regarding our Concierge’s service to our guests. Our Concierge, per the hop on hop off bus sells a $33 ticket, saving you $2 at the bus. The bus company gives the Concierge a tip for doing this, not the guest. We are saddened to hear of your overall experience and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Mr. Trump does not own our building.
Aachen, Germany
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed in a great many hotels in Chicago, but the first time near the Merchandise Mart. On a nice day it is an ok walk into the area where things are at, but if it is a little rainy or cold, this little peninsula is outside of the area you want to be. After a long trip, and walking up and down on the Brown Line, then having to get around inside the Merchandise Mart to get around to the hotel, I had hoped for something special upon arrival.

The rooms are ok, but in a very commercial building- not at all like entering into a hotel. I must say that the check-in and check out was very well done, even to the point of correcting my bill as necessary for reimbursement by my company, so this made me feel good.

Nothing special about the rooms. In my room the wall paper was coming off near the edges, but, the room looked like it was clean, and the bed was up to the holiday inn's new standards, so I got a good sleep.

The concierge was no where to be found on two occasions when I needed one, for maps of the city, etc. I looked for a safe, which I love to have when visiting the area, but there was not one available in my room. As a gold member they do give you the paper bag with a snack and water, but otherwise, nothing else special.

I love to use mass transit in Chicago, but here, only taxis to get you in the city and, no one comes this far out (even though it is not far from a distance perspective, it is off the beaten path, so the taxis stay closer in downtown) when it rains. Happened on this trip and I almost missed my appointment. It was only on the other side of Michigan Ave., but this is a little adventure when considering the location of other comparable hotels in the area.

Sorry to speak so much about location, but, for me, easy to get around is of importance. Normally I would have expected a good price for an ordinary hotel and in a less than ideal location in relation to Michigan Avenue. But this was not the case. I found the price/quality ratio too much on the high side. For the same price or lesser price, I could have gotten the same or better quality even closer to the most interesting parts of downtown.

Room Tip: I was not far from the elevators, but this was not a problem. The elevators ran well with little wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you so much for your patronage and for your review.
USA
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is located at a great location with a beautiful view over Chicago skyline. Enjoyed my stay. Rooms were clean and staff very friendly! This is my 2nd time staying at this hotel. Looks like some rooms are updated and some are not. 2nd time around my room needed some furniture update but other than that everything was great.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your review and your patronage. We are renovating again in December, be sure and ask to see the new rooms.
Champaign IL
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed at the hotel probably 15 times over the past decade. I like the location for the business I do there. It's in a little less congested area and easy to get to when driving, but while there are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby, there are fewer choices than near Michigan Ave. Some rooms have very nice views of the river and city. Handy for some shopping at the Merchandise Mart. I usually have a king executive room--which the last time I stayed there had been remodeled with a nice walk-in glass door shower, pull out sofabed, frig, desk and chair. Pretty quiet, but if you get a room on the atrium side and at a low level, you may notice more noise. Parking is in an adjacent open lot and is, for a city hotel, pretty reasonable. I have noticed room rate vary a lot depending on supply and demand. Nice lounge, nice lobby. Has a restaurant on site, but honestly, with so many other choces, why stay there? The hotel is just part of what is housed in the building; the building is not one of Chicago's architectural jewels. Still, the hotel has it's points.

Room Tip: Avoid atrium side and elevator shaft.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Recent Business Traveler,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your patronage over the past years and hope that you will take a moment to introduce yourself next time you are visiting.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 20, 2012

On past trips to Chicago, I've stayed in some really horrible hotels with outrageous prices. I'm happy to say that this was a much better experience. I stayed in a room with 2 double beds, but it still had a sitting area with a desk counter and comfortable chair. All I ask for when I stay somewhere is that the room is clean, and this one was. It was also close to the Shedd Aquarium which is a favorite of mine. Great shopping was also very close by and I even took in a show at a nearby theater. I was able to walk to most of the locations I wanted to visit, then return and take a relaxing swim in the pool to loosen up after a busy day. The ItaliAsia Restaurant had great food with enough variety that even I found many things I liked. Next time I go to Chicago with my friends, I will definitely insist that we stay here because I know it will be nice, clean, and have comfortable beds. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Decide what you want to look at when you visit and request the view of your choice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Recent Guest,

We appreciate your review and are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to your return.