Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North
Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$317
$375
$281
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Hotel Versey - Days Inn Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$158
$144
2,239 results
All reviewsthe merchandise martsun timescityscape barhotel startsbrown linegreat view of the riverhotel lobbyriver northsears towerthe loopcity viewindoor poolbusiness tripcorner roomself parkingking bedthe magnificent mile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This was my third time staying here in as many years and my experience was pretty much the same: great location by shops, eateries from Au Bon Pain to Kinzie Chop House were so convenient, fairly good service, etc. But the rooms badly need updating as the carpets, linens, drapes and furniture were stained and very worn looking. At least the bed was comfortable though and bed-bug-free during my stay. I would stay at this hotel again, I suppose, but until the rooms are updated it will only be a utilitarian, average, not very pleasing run-of-the-mill choice for me and I might bet for most guests. A star will always be lost when I have to crawl under the desk and unplug the lamp in order to get a plug near enough to power up my laptop to do some work, for example!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank CardCarrier
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Recent Guest,

We appreciate your review and your patronage. We are in the midst of a major guest room renovation and we are more than sure you will be pleased.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The room was dated. Smelly too. Water was cold for a long time so you had to wait for your shower. A person named Robert working at one of the desks, helped himself to a tip while giving me some change for a hop on and hop off bus that I preordered from him. Just a shady character...So many bell hops chatting and not helping. Left a really sour experience for me. Never again. Chicago is my kind of town but this hotel is not my kind even on the 2 star level hotel. The doors were slammed real loud and too much ecco. Did not grt one nights sleep. To the manager please do not write to me, there is nothing you can do to improve. Maybe Donald Trump can fix the place now that he owns the building.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Recent Guest,

We are very surprised to hear of your experience. We have always received nothing but praise regarding our Concierge’s service to our guests. Our Concierge, per the hop on hop off bus sells a $33 ticket, saving you $2 at the bus. The bus company gives the Concierge a tip for doing this, not the guest. We are saddened to hear of your overall experience and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Mr. Trump does not own our building.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed in a great many hotels in Chicago, but the first time near the Merchandise Mart. On a nice day it is an ok walk into the area where things are at, but if it is a little rainy or cold, this little peninsula is outside of the area you want to be. After a long trip, and walking up and down on the Brown Line, then having to get around inside the Merchandise Mart to get around to the hotel, I had hoped for something special upon arrival.

The rooms are ok, but in a very commercial building- not at all like entering into a hotel. I must say that the check-in and check out was very well done, even to the point of correcting my bill as necessary for reimbursement by my company, so this made me feel good.

Nothing special about the rooms. In my room the wall paper was coming off near the edges, but, the room looked like it was clean, and the bed was up to the holiday inn's new standards, so I got a good sleep.

The concierge was no where to be found on two occasions when I needed one, for maps of the city, etc. I looked for a safe, which I love to have when visiting the area, but there was not one available in my room. As a gold member they do give you the paper bag with a snack and water, but otherwise, nothing else special.

I love to use mass transit in Chicago, but here, only taxis to get you in the city and, no one comes this far out (even though it is not far from a distance perspective, it is off the beaten path, so the taxis stay closer in downtown) when it rains. Happened on this trip and I almost missed my appointment. It was only on the other side of Michigan Ave., but this is a little adventure when considering the location of other comparable hotels in the area.

Sorry to speak so much about location, but, for me, easy to get around is of importance. Normally I would have expected a good price for an ordinary hotel and in a less than ideal location in relation to Michigan Avenue. But this was not the case. I found the price/quality ratio too much on the high side. For the same price or lesser price, I could have gotten the same or better quality even closer to the most interesting parts of downtown.

Room Tip: I was not far from the elevators, but this was not a problem. The elevators ran well with little wait !
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you so much for your patronage and for your review.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Hotel is located at a great location with a beautiful view over Chicago skyline. Enjoyed my stay. Rooms were clean and staff very friendly! This is my 2nd time staying at this hotel. Looks like some rooms are updated and some are not. 2nd time around my room needed some furniture update but other than that everything was great.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Recent Guest,

Thank you for your review and your patronage. We are renovating again in December, be sure and ask to see the new rooms.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed at the hotel probably 15 times over the past decade. I like the location for the business I do there. It's in a little less congested area and easy to get to when driving, but while there are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby, there are fewer choices than near Michigan Ave. Some rooms have very nice views of the river and city. Handy for some shopping at the Merchandise Mart. I usually have a king executive room--which the last time I stayed there had been remodeled with a nice walk-in glass door shower, pull out sofabed, frig, desk and chair. Pretty quiet, but if you get a room on the atrium side and at a low level, you may notice more noise. Parking is in an adjacent open lot and is, for a city hotel, pretty reasonable. I have noticed room rate vary a lot depending on supply and demand. Nice lounge, nice lobby. Has a restaurant on site, but honestly, with so many other choces, why stay there? The hotel is just part of what is housed in the building; the building is not one of Chicago's architectural jewels. Still, the hotel has it's points.

Room Tip: Avoid atrium side and elevator shaft.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Recent Business Traveler,

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your patronage over the past years and hope that you will take a moment to introduce yourself next time you are visiting.