“Good Location”

Ranked #83 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Fairfax, VA
“Good Location”
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I stayed on business at this location. Very convenient location as it was next to Merchandise Mart. I had a nice view of the river and the accommodations were nice. Rooms were big enough to make you feel like you have some space.
The parking is a little steep and I did not get a chance to eat at the hotel, but otherwise a decent stay. I am a PC member and they treated me well.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Price of the parking
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, March 18, 2008
Thank you so much for your recent comments. We hope that next time you visit our hotel you can try some of the delicious food on our new menu in Regions Restaurant, also the extensive appetizer menu in our new Cityscape Bar. I certainly understand and agree with your comments regarding parking rates in Chicago, that is why our hotel has specifically priced our rates below the competition. Thankfully our location allows you to either walk or is just a short cab ride away. Again thank you and we look forward to your next visit.

Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We booked our room through Priceline and got a weekend rate of $62 a night. When we checked in, the woman at the front desk informed us that the hotel was sold out and the only room available was a smoking room with a king sized bed. After a little pleading, a non-smoking room miraculously opened up, but it only had a double bed. We decided that a double bed was better than a smoking room. While room 2116 had an incredible view, it smelled like smoke and there was definitely water damage that had occurred at some point. There were water stains all over the walls and ceiling and the wallpaper was pealing off. Our room was in no way sound proof. I could hear every conversation going on in the room next door, as well as all hallway conversations-which we heard all night long. The room definitely could use some updating-the decor was dated and the bed was as quite hard. It was a sizable room, but had limited furniture (double bed, night stands and a desk with a chair). There was definitely room for a chair and ottoman and/or a king bed. There was free internet, although it was a bit on the slow side. As others have said, having to take two different elevators to get to the hotel rooms is a bit inconvenient, but not horrible to deal with.

I thought the location of the hotel was just fine. We took the blue line in from Ohare and then transferred to the brown line. Just one stop up and you are at the Merchandise Mart. You can walk through the Mart and get to the hotel. You can access both the brown and purple eL lines from this stop. The hotel is not far from Michigan Ave (if you don't mind the walk). We were able to get around in the city without any difficulty. Gino's East is just a few blocks north on Wells, but fine dining will require a cab ride. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant (prices were high for what you get), but did admire the bar located on the 15th floor (lobby level). It has a lot of comfortable chairs and tables to sit at and enjoy a cocktail and the view.

So, the hotel was not fantastic, but the price and location worked just great for us.

• Liked — View from my room and the price
  • Disliked — smell of smoke and all the water damage in my room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelqueen34
Thank you so much for your recent visit and the comments that you shared. We do appreciate your comments and have addressed the issues that you brought to our attention. We are happy that you enjoyed our location and some of the best views in Chicago. In addition we have enhanced our wireless support with an additional T1 line and are happy to say that our internet is faster and remains complimentary.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I got another great price on Priceline. Last time I stayed here I gor a fabulous room with a fantastic view of the Chicago River and the Sears Tower. Since I've seen that view, I decided to get a quiet room away from the elevator this time. Not much of a view of the "courtyard" and the top of the pool. However, it was quiet, and nicely furnished. The tub could have used a re-coating though. It was peeling a bit. Still all in all, it is a nice, comfortable hotel in River North and it is easy to get arounf the city. I will stay there again.

• Liked — Getting the great price
  • Disliked — Could be a bit closer to Michigan Ave but not bad
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Krokstadelva, Norway
Reviewed February 27, 2008

As we have been traveling to Chicago several times now, we have tried several hotels too. This is one of the best so far. We came in by train from New York and it was only a short walk from Union Station.
The hotel is on the top floors of a pretty tall building, so you have to take the elevator up a few floors to get to the lobby. The lobby looked good, and had theire own staffed information desk were you could ask all kinds of questions, get directions and tips.
Check in was fast and the staff was polite. The room was spaciouse with to beds, a desk and a big tv. The bathroom was nice, big and clean.
The hotel was situated within walkingdistance of all the major attractions and there was alot of restaurants near by. We especially loved Rock Bottom Sportsbar and Restaurant. Great spare ribs, great prices.
This hotel is worth every penny, would stay there again in a hearbeat!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
martplaza, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza River North, responded to this review, March 11, 2008
Thank you so much for the kind words. The Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza realizes that you have many hotel options and appreciate your patronage. We look forward to your next visit.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I booked my hotel at a great deal through orbitz from san antonio..the room had an excellent view of the river and downtown area..what i liked the best was that the brown line (cta public transportation) connects right into the merchandise mart where the hotel is located, there are also fast food eateries right in the mart..I found the hotel staff to be very friendly and always helpful..the only downside i found was the rooms, while the view was great there was no microwave, no fridge, also the area doesnt have much to offer for late night eating..you of course have the option of room service (not really cheap) until 1:30 am ..nothing really within walking distance unless you want to take a $ 5 cab ride towards the magnificent mile. I would recommend this hotel highly and would stay here again.

• Liked — the view, access to public transportation and cheap eats
  • Disliked — no late night eats outside the hotel
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for the kind words regarding your experience at the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza, we too value our tremendous views. On your next visit step right outside the Merchandise Mart to Wells Street where you will find some of the best Restaurants and pubs in the city. We look forward to your next visit.

Chicago
Reviewed January 29, 2008

I've actually stayed at the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza twice. Once for a wedding (the reception was held in the banquette room with the spectacular view) and the other was just recently when I brought my nephew downtown for his birthday. Not many of the Chicago hotels have a pool but this one does. They have some nice breakfast choices...but room service is a bit pricey. They offer parking at a reasonable rate, but the cars are not covered as they sit in an outside parking area. There are very steep steps down to the parking area.
There is a drive-up area to the front entrance. The hotel lobby itself is situated on the 15th floor so you need to take an elevator up once you enter the building. I've always seemed to find the cheapest rates on the Holiday Inn website. They provided us a room with a wonderful view of the river and Sears Tower. Its easy to get a cab. If you walk 2 blocks you can catch the el. The hotel rooms were average size. We had 2 double beds, desk , 2 chairs, tv with lots of first run and just released DVD selections for an additional fee. Video game rental for an additional fee. Electronic checkout. Bathroom was large and brightly lit. We went at Christmas time so the lobby was all decorated. Overall its a great place to stay for the price, but if you want to walk out onto Michigan Ave its a bit too west .

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Uncovered parking
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ILuv2Travel76
All Over America
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I would have to agree with the last traveler! The views at this hotel are outstanding! I stayed there the first weekend in January and I have to say that my experience was good. The staff was friendly and helpful at all time. I would stay here again and plan to do so next month. If I based my decision to stay at this hotel off previous reviews I would not have done so because of some negative comments but I did not see any of this during my stay! I suggest everyone seeing for them selves!!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business