“Great location and service!”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #68 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 31, 2010

My friend and I stayed here to go shopping and hit Rush St. for nightlife. I am from Indiana, but just across the border and know the area, but didn't want to have to worry about going home after a night out. We booked on Hotwire for a great price.

The minute you walk in, you are pleased by the pleasant (and soothing) sort of lobby. The front desk staff is EXCELLENT and took care of us. We even got to move in early and were upgraded from one bed to two and from a city view to a high river view.

The room was HUGE. It had an office, a very nice bathroom and two large beds. Closet space was ample. It came with two comfy chairs and a HUGE window. The view of the Wrigley building and the river was great. I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel for under $200.00 in Chicago with such a view.

We had no coffee in the room and wanted some before we left, so we called housekeeping. They brought us some with no fuss. Very pleasant staff. We went out to shop and it was a great location and the main reason for booking. The checkout in the AM was easy. And since we had to wait to catch the train, we left our luggage with the bellman. Brilliant staff, really great.

Altogether, it was very nice. The shower was amazing in the morning and the linens were clean and bright. I would definitely stay here again. The service and location alone should sell you!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 25, 2010

We usually stay at the Westin on Michigan Avenue but were attending a wedding at this hotel and got an amazing deal so booked here. For the price, I felt it was really good value. The hotel has a great location overlooking the river and within walking distance to many of the shops (although up towards Water Tower place and the beach there is definitely a bit further).

The hotel has a nice bar downstairs and a good lobby area with seating which was perfect as a meeting place as so many wedding guests were staying there. The service was fine although the key cards are very finicky.

The room itself was fine, but didn't include some of the basic amenities I expect like a mini-bar and an in-room safe. It was a very good size though, and had a great view over the river. Unfortunately it was right next to the elevator and when we requested changing rooms, they said that most of the king rooms were by the elevators. It didn't cause too much of an issue though. The room was a bit rough around the edges and could probably use an update, but for the money, I felt it was great value. They could also use a light in the shower though as it gets very dark in there with the curtain closed. Could also be helpful to have a larger counter area by the sink, but I assume that wouldn't be a quick thing to fix!

The ballroom on the top floor where the wedding was offered spectacular views, highly recommend getting up there if possible. Not sure we'd stay here again, unless there was a great deal when some of our other favorite Chicago hotels are very expensive.

One last thing, they were doing a lot of filming for Transformers 3 just down the street from this, which was really fun to see. I saw photos a week after we left Chicago and it was crazy to see everything right in front of the hotel. It didn't affect our stay at all though.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Living in St. Louis we make weekend trips to Chi-Town a few times a year. This time I had one big request, a room with a view of the skyline...if I could get river+skyline for under $200 then I was pulling the trigger!

In steps Hotel 71. It's a boutique so a little stripped down (as in not ice on every floor and room service people running around) HOWEVER the rooms are fine for Chicago. Staff was super friendly & knowledgeable. Beds comfy. Bathroom big and nice. Oversized King room was big. GREAT LOCATION.

But the bread and butter of this hotel really is the VIEW. OMG magnificent. I watched the sun go down, the city come alive at night and just had to watch the sunrise. Get a river view/city view combo and when you check in tell them to put you up high (which they said is automatic). I paid base $179 for one night (Saturday in July).

I still think of it and took about 300 pictures from the room. Oh, and the windows open...how cool for Chicago! Plus the river walk is RIGHT THERE. Very happy customer!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank brightmorningstar
Reviewed July 22, 2010

For our stay we chose a corner room and had a spectacular view of the Chicago River, Trump Tower, Wrigley Building and Marina City.

Any of the Riverview rooms would pretty much have the same view but the corner room gave us a view to the south down Wabash Ave.

We usually don't spend much time in our room but waking up in the morning with the great view and then coming back late in the day to people watch was a nice way to wind down.

The location is great for those looking to explore the main Chicago attractions. Walking distance to pretty much everything or easy access via public transportation.

If you need to take the "L" it's just a short walk to the State and Lake or Randolph and Wabash stations. Located just across Wacker Dr from the hotel you can take the riverwalk all the way to the lakefront without a street crossing.

This hotel doesn't have a pool so if that's important stay elsewhere.

The hotel does not offer a complimentary breakfast but a menu is available. We chose to pick up breakfast to go from the Corner Bakery Cafe located just a few steps from the front door to the hotel.

The room was very comfortable and bathroom had a rain shower which was an interesting treat.

There is a ballroom on the top floor with a great view of the city that you should check out if there are no meetings going on.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2010

now i read all the good, bad & ugly about this hotel here on tripadvisor and decided to "take a chance" . i really cant believe anyone would write something bad about this place. ok, so they don't have a pool get a grip, go somewhere else if you really want a pool.

when i checked in there was a problem with the reservation, because of 1800 hotel NOT because of the hotel, and they were very nice about the whole thing and right off the bat the lady at the front desk said not to worry they had rooms available. John Castronovo the business sales manager came out explained the whole situation and took my booking upgraded my room and the room rate was even LESS then what i had booked at. John apologized for the mistake made by 1800 hotels and was very helpful through out my stay. Being the dummy i am i read here that there were no "black out" curtains in the room, so as soon as i got in the room i looked, nope couldn't find them either, and i had a view room on the river so that meant when it was time for bed the room was still bright as day from the lights outside. the next morning i spoke to John and he was shocked at the story i told him. john said he would send a crew up right away to check because of course there are "black out" shades in the room. so i went back up to the room to check again for myself, and OF COURSE they were there. housekeeping had just pushed them back farther then i had looked.
i had room 1014 a premium view room with two queens. was a fantastic room, the bathroom with two separate vanities a huge tub, walking in shower with built in seat. the wifi in the room was great, very fast. i was able to buy movie tickets on line and make dinner reservation too. there are 4 elevators, NOT two as someone here has stated. more correctly TWO BANKS of elevators. i never waited more then a few seconds for one. the gym on floor 37 (or 36) is very nice all new equipment and has a great view too.

not sure why some people have complained about the property but in my opinion, its a very nice place to stay and i'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I'll caveat my review with the fact that they were filming Transformers 3 right outside the hotel door when I arrived which I think impacted my experience. I was lucky to get a room at all - the movie staff were all staying there. Because of the overcrowding I was stuck with a smoking room which I absolutely hate! Everything seemed really dirty to me. Even the floor seemed sticky! To top it all off, I had party neighbors who played gangster rap into the wee hours of the morning. I will say that the hotel staff was very courteous about it and spoke to them and had them turn the music off. On another positive note, the room was ENORMOUS and the views amazing!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2010

i found hotel 71 a great palce to stay... the room & bathroom was very clean & tidy... the free wireless internet was very good... had no touble with it at all... the staff was very polite & very helpful... i would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends