“Well located hotel, comfortable rooms”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #64 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia
“Well located hotel, comfortable rooms”
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I stayed here for a Friday business trip that I extended into a long weekend. This hotel was very good for both business and leisure travel. It's location on the Chicago River just off Michigan Avenue places it at the heart of the city's business area. At the same time, the hotel is within walking distance of the restaurants in River North, shopping on the Magnificent Mile, concerts and other events in Millennium Park and the treasures of the Art Institute.

Rooms are well appointed, clean and comfortable for either the business or leisure traveler. The business center has several free access internet terminals for the use of guests.

Unfortunately, the hotel lacks a restaurant or breakfast area. Nearby are the Corner Bakery and other popular breakfast spots, but that does require going out in the weather to get there - not always a great thing in Chicago. This is the only drawback that leads me to give the hotel a four star rather than a five star rating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed January 28, 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend for the weekend for a touristy Chicago weekend (we live in the Chicagoland). It was exactly what we needed, great location and a great price. The room was nice and big, no real complaints. If your looking to impress someone, this would not be the place, but it was still nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed January 10, 2010

We booked a NYE vacation in august and got flights from Toronto and 4 nights at 71 for $500 CDN...so we weren't really expecting much! Wrong! This hotel was great! The location is phenomenal - it's on East Wacker, a two second walk from Michigan avenue. The rooms were huge!! I can't describe how big the beds are! And we had awesome city views! The concierge were awesome and so helpful! I don't have a bad word to say about our stay at Hotel 71! It was amazing and I will definitely look to book there again the next time we're in Chicago!

Stay here if you can...you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Davenport, IA
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We ended up at Hotel 71 after a Hotels .com search for downtown Chicago hotels close to the magnificent mile.
The price was right and were were surprised with an unexpected upgrade to an Executive Deluxe. The newly renovated room was lovely, the view spectacular, and the ease of walking around to where we wanted to go was exactly what we were hoping for and more. Michael and Kareem were wonderfully welcoming and the only thing I would change is to forego the valet parking and just park the car for the weekend. We never drove anywhere!
Walked the mile and then over a few blocks to Fado's Irish Pub.. authentically fun atmosphere, cold beer and excellent appetizers while we watched the football games.
That night we walked- literally- one block over the bridge to eat dinner at Smith and Wollensky . We had a river view window table, excellent service and the best Steak Oscar I have ever tasted.
We'll definitely be back to Hotel 71

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grgegirl9
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I feel like I need to write a review where I have stayed in the past year, due to the fact that I have been utilizing trip advisor for all of my hotel stays. (great product!) However, this hotel was extremely disappointing. The room was very nice and the location was great. However, I stayed here for Valentines day and the service was a disappointment. When we pulled up to vallet the car the bellhop informed us the lot was full and we will not be able to park at the hotel, (what???). Therefore we had to self park at a sketchy parking area near the hotel inbetween two huge building and lug our suitcases by ourselves to our room. Not the kind of service I would anticipate from an upscale property. Then we had to wait for the front desk to 'figure' out how their schedules were going to work and who was going to check in who prior to checking in - again horrible service. I would recommend staying away from this property if you expect top notch service. There are too many other properties you can stay at downtown Chicago for the price.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katelynsandon
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed November 8, 2009

The Hotel 71 in Chicago is very well positioned near Wrigley Tower and on the River at Wabash street. It was easy walk to everywhere I needed to be.

The room was clean, comfortable, and spacious. Bed was comfortable, and the heating and cooling system worked well. The bathroom was clean, shower was good with plenty of pressure. In room coffee was tasty, and the desk and wifi were a nice touch. The view of the river was great! As an added bonus, the windows open, so a little fresh air was a welcome thing, as the room did have the odor of smoke. (Hotel was full due to conventions in town. I was not able to get a non-smoking room)

Overall the room was nice, however I do believe it had not been refurbished in a while. There was shoddy repair work from the removal of the in bathroom hairdryer, and some wallpaper was peeling. Once again, minor issues, but hopefully that will be rectified soon.

Elevators were swift, and the doormen and front desk staff were very friendly, quick with several recommendations, and very attentive to any extra needs. It will be better when the full restaurant is back opened, instead of the bar area being only option. The Hotel 71 does get kudos for a good breakfast selection for grab and go!

The modern design of the hotel is a nice break from the chains, and I found the lobby area inviting and comfortable. It was a good area to sit and read the paper, and watch the comings and goings as I waited for other members of my party.

I will definitely stay at the Hotel 71 in Chicago again, should business take me there again! I would also use it for a pleasure trip, as it is in a good location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Loafinbaker
boston
Reviewed November 3, 2009

I did a TON of research before we went to Chicago for the weekend about hotels and where to stay in the city. This place had great reviews across the board so we tried it out. Unfortunately - that's the best part of this review.

I called to make a reservation over the phone b/c i found a package online for a weekend away - where you get two nights with some other stuff included and 30% off one of the nights. I called b/c I wanted to be SURE that's the way the offer was. The girl assured me it was and proceeded to book me. However, once i got my email confirmation, she booked me on the wrong day. The cost was cheaper on that weekend but it was the wrong weekend. The reason i caught the incorrect booking is because they charged my credit card for a late fee since the weekend was in the past! Um HELLO!

I tried to call and change the reservation and find out why they had charged my card and was put on hold for 15 minutes. I was pissed and hung up. Had my boyfriend call back b/c i would have been mean to them and he's way nice on the phone. He called up to change the reservation and they didn't apologize but booked it on the correct weekend. The price had gone up as well! We were leaving in two days so we decided to deal with it in person once we got to the hotel.

When we arrived - the lobby was pretty cool but once we got to our room, it was nice but it certainly wasn't worth the price we paid for it. There was a HUGE crack in the tub and everything looked a bit rundown. No so happy about that.

Once we were leaving and going to pay - the price was different than what i was quoted a few different times. It was different from the second email confirmation i received as well. Also, i we hadn't be charged for the 30% off the second night that i had SPECIFICALLY asked about over the phone. I asked the guy at the front desk who wasn't so hot to help me out either. Come on dude! I bet you were the one who put me on hold for 15 minutes! at least take my number down and call me back. I've worked in a serious industry and this is not the way to treat a customer.

After questioning the bill again he brought up the offer online and proceeded to tell me that it was 30% off a second ROOM not a night. so freaking confusing. I was pissed but whatever. I just wanted to go home at this point. I will NOT be staying here again.

This should be a BUYER BEWARE if you're going to be staying here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple