“Wyndham Winner!”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #66 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights at the hotel for leisure and we were very impressed by the central location ( 2 minutes walk to the loop and the Near North), great views of the river. Room was large with a great 'his and hers' bathroom suite and comfortable beds. We really couldn't fault the hotel for facilities vs the price which is why we chose it. We had drinks and snacks at the hotel bar, which didn't really feel like a typical hotel bar as it was quite busy and bustling with passers by. Only slight complaint is that the bottles water in the room wasn't replaced after day one but that wasn't a big deal. Highly recommend this hotel for a good value leisure option in the heart of the city

Stayed: July 2014
BobHolland-GM, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Thank you so much for your positive review! We thank you for staying with us and are so pleased your enjoyed your room. We look forward to having you back again very soon!

Best-

Reviewed July 16, 2014

First of all, location location location. This hotel is ideally situated for a first timer in Chicago (a returning visiter will know what they have come for and wand to be near). For us, all the downtown attractions were within easy walking distance. Second, the room. This was larger than average for a city centre hotel. If you are on a high floor the views are good (we were on the 36th). All the amenities were as expected and worked seamlessly. The staff were helpful when approached and not 'in your face' when not. It is a busy hotel, so while the service is not personal it is generally efficient. If you are visiting Chicago and want a well located base that is comfortable to come back to then you could do a lot worse than the Wyndham.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quieter and have good views (on higher floors) without the supplement for river vie...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
BobHolland-GM, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear AlanofLondon-
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. It was lovely having you and we thank you for choosing our property. I am very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the city and that you got to take advantage of our central downtown location. We hope to see you again very soon.

Best,

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Reviewed July 15, 2014

A rating of four won. Let me tell you why. First off, the good things: Great location, close to the El and along the river. Room (3708) was large, big bathroom with both a bath and a tub (tubs are getting rarer nowadays and if the are big enough and deep enough, they can be really relaxing) and a great view. Could even see a bit of the lake. King bed, comfortable.

So why was I considering a three rating? First reason, the air conditioning. Quite poor and it was a hot time in the city. My belief is that the hotel has abandoned the thermostat on the wall and decided what temp your room shall be. I'm sure they deny that, but if the gauge is set to the coldest, and what comes out of the system is barely cool - something is wrong. I had to order a fan because I like it cold. The second reason is the incredibly lame and atmosphere-free "restaurant," Hoyt's. Just a big bar with a few tables thrown in.

Given all that, why the four rating? I received an email from management welcoming me to the hotel - you know, the standard you are a valued guest stuff. I responded to the email and complained about the a/c. Their response was almost immediate and I did get my fan.

So Wyndham Management, it pays to be responsive and it is noted and appreciated! But take down the thermostats or make them work.

Room Tip: 3708 has a small glimpse of the Lake and a nice city view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear David C-
Thank you so much for your feedback and your comments. We thank you for staying with us and are always happy to accommodate as best as possible. I apologize if your room was not cold enough and thank you for bringing that to our attention. I assure you that we will have the thermostat issue you looked at and apologize if you feel you were mislead about the temperature reading. I hope that you will continue to stay with us when in Chicago and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Best--

Reviewed July 15, 2014

The location of this hotel is great. It is right in front of the river and major tourist attractions are easily accessible. What needs improvement is the service of the front desk attendants, as well as the concierge. I didn't find them welcoming or helpful at all. I asked the concierge very simple questions about the entry cost and opening/closing times of certain attractions. He couldn't answer any of them so I had to Google the information myself from my room. Also, when I asked the concierge to call the airport shuttle to arrange a pick up time for the next morning, his response was, "You can call yourself from the phone over there." My reasoning is that if a guest asks you to do something on their behalf, you should oblige them. After all, you are there to provide a service. Also, smiling every now and then wouldn't hurt either.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on a high floor as the street noise is quite loud. We were on a high floor an...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Anna P-
Thank you so much for your feedback on your stay. We thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and will certainly be sharing your comments. I am terribly sorry if the service you received from our team was insufficient and I understand your frustration. I assure you we are committed to the highest level of guest satisfaction and that this is an issue that will be addressed and resolved.

Best-

Reviewed July 15, 2014

In my opinion, this is the best hotel to stay in Chicago. It's modern, well decorated, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The bedrooms are really big for a hotel in downtown Chicago! There's room for like 4 people in there.The bedroom I stayed had a little space to make coffee. The view from the window is also very beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Raquel O-
Thank you so much for your review! We thank you for choosing the Wyndham Grand Chiago Riverfront and are so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Best--