“Good day!”

Ranked #65 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel at the end of June for a business conference. When we arrived at the hotel my colleague and I were given a room with one king sized bed. Call me crazy but I don't want to share a bed with my boss. We were told that the hotel couldn't guarantee the type of room requested when booking. (I'm sure someone from the management staff will respond to reiterate this nonsense.) A little tip, your customers are better served when you are up front about this rather than letting them discover that upon arrival. Book the rooms you have - very simple. If you don't have any double rooms available don't let a customer think that you do. This is especially important for a hotel that has a lot of business travelers.

We were eventually given another room with two queen beds. We were on one of the higher floors, four below the top level ballroom. This hotel so completely lacks in soundproofing that we could hear the songs played by the DJ from a wedding reception taking place above us. Not just a little bit of thumping bass. We could hear, identify, and sing along with the songs. It was as if we were listening to a radio in our room, loudly. Again, we were FOUR floors below. Also contributing to noise was the fact that the door didn't fit the doorway correctly. There were gaps on all sides of the door that let light and noise from the hall into our room.

While we didn't expect the wedding to reception to be shushed I did call to front desk and ask to speak to the manager on duty. I was told that the ballroom was booked until midnight and to use earplugs. (Not that they would provide any.) Since I had Ben on the phone I told him about a few other things that we encountered, such as the aforementioned single bed incident.

In addition to the noise and the bed snafu we encountered the following: a bathtub that was stained with brown smears that looked like feces, a carpet that hadn't been vacuumed, cleaning staff having gone through my suitcase, etc. When I mentioned this last one Ben question MY honesty.

Aside from our room issues the elevators just seemed unsafe. They were small, there were weak spots on the floor of at least one of the elevators and they shimmied.

All in all, a horrible stay. Customer service is obviously not important to the management.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mwsogl

Dear Mwsogl,

First let me thank you for offering your feedback about your stay. We take any criticism very seriously and customer service, I assure you, is our top priority. That said, I would like to apologize for the issues and lapses in service, from a service and product standpoint that you encountered, as this is not our standard. I would ask that you please book though us directly, as we can better accommodate your requests. I am happy to offer you the name of our front desk manager, Mike Eizenberg at 312-462-7083, as a point of contact on your stay. Once you have booked, you can follow up with him and he would be happy to make sure you are placed a room suitable to your preferences. We hope that you will choose us again for a future stay, so that we may regain your favor.

Best,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Grand Chicago Wyndham Riverfront is a wonderful spot for its location, spaces and services. But for me the most important feature of this luxury hotel is the people who serve you there: The crew and its warm, kind and human teamwork. With no doubt, this is an invaluable asset.

I sincerely like to congratulate Mr. Fernando Pava, for the following:

One week ago I stayed at the Grand Chicago Wyndham Riverfront with the only purpose of proposing my fiancee. Since it was a surprise, I made in advance a phone call to the hotel asking for help. And I had the best luck finding Fernando Pava, because once I let him know my plan, he became a friendly ally. Just picture this:
It was a beautiful night. My girl and I walked hand by hand in the river sidewalk. Then I ask her to read in huge sign over the bridge back of us (a large sign held by two staffers of Fernando’s team) this message: Do you want to marry me. She just can`t believe it, and then I give her the ring.

All this was possible because of Fernando and his crew, because the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront has the best people working for us, the clients.

Congratulations. My family and I will remember this, one of the most important episodes of my life, each and every time we come to The Windy City, of course to the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront.

Thanks a lot, forever.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Rodrigo G,

Let me start by saying congratulations! We wish you many happy years with your new fiancee. We are so happy to have played a part in your engagement, thank you for letting us get involved! Fernando has been a tremendous asset to our property and exemplifies our commitment to creating memorable experiences for our guests. We thank you for sharing your story here and can't wait to welcome you back to Chicago.

All the Best,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The front desk would not give me the name of the General Manager. When asked why, I indicated a had a service complaint. Food & Beverage needs to kick it up a notch. Room cleaning, need to pay attention to body hairs and soap. Due to the size of the soap bars, one would assume one "tiny" bar will not last a four (4) day stay. I was warned, should have stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel. Never again.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Gregory H.,

Please allow me to extend my sincerest apologies. I would love to discuss the difficulties you faced in detail. Please call my office and speak with Kelly, my assistant, as she can mediate your concerns. I would very much appreciate your feedback to improve future guest experiences and try to restore your faith in us. Please reach out to us at 312-462-7070 at your convenience.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Recently spent five nights for a combination of business and personal. The property is perfectly located to everything, and the rooms and accommodations were quite nice, but it is the staff that impressed me most. Rachel Traurig assisted, in advance, to ensure the room was right and then followed to confirm. Sarah greeted me at check-in and was simply fantastic in attitude and assisting with charting my stay. Several other members of the check-in desk, including Wendolyn, were also very good. The rest of the service staff (maids, bell hops, etc.) were exceptionally friendly and focused on service. Management is to be commended for hiring and motivating the right customer service team. A first call for future Chicago trips.

Dear WaynePrice,

Wow! First, a big thank you for your wonderful review, we thank you for taking your time to leave such positive feedback. And second, I commend you for remembering all those names! We certainly do have a great staff here, and I will personally pass along all of your compliments to each of them. We are always happy to accommodate you anyway we can and look forward to welcoming you back to Chicago very soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family