“Great Hotel, Great Location”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #68 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Had a great business trip to Chicago. The rooms are very nice, and they currently have remodeled most of them. I think they are working on 9 more floors to be remodeled. Beds were good, staff was good, and everything was clean.
I would stay at this hotel again. This would work good for a family as well.
I flew into midway airport, took the orange train (only one at midway) and got off at state/lake station. (above ground) walked over to the hotel... a few blocks. It is pretty common to see people with there luggage on that train.

overall good stay... ask for a room as high up as possible, and away from the elevators. the only negative was the elevators are pretty slow for a 39 story building. In this day and age it seems like we all want things instantly. not a big deal though.

Room Tip: Up High, and away from elevators. 25th floor or above. I stayed on the 33rd and it was great
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Amorace,
Thank you for your kind words and generous compliments. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your room, our views and --most important--your stay. And thank you for your great travel tips, they are sure to help future guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Windy City soon.

Bob Holland

Write a ReviewReviews (4,956)

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I booked the Premier Suite for one night as a little splurge for myself and my son, as we were both in town from different parts of the country. Since I have lived many years in Chicago in the past, I immediately recognized the hotel building as the old Executive House Hotel from the 60's.
Obviously, they are still deep in the process of remodeling it, because the noise from the jackhammers, drills , and various banging, clanging, and pounding was coming from all directions around our 16th floor room. Yes, when we checked in the polite clerk did mention the construction, saying "you may or may not hear it". You would have to be stone deaf or dead not to hear the racket that ensued at precisely 9:00 am on Monday morning!
The hotel is in a great location, right on the river, fabulous view, two blocks from Millenium Park. The windows are not floor to ceiling, but I knew that going in. The suite was quite large and very clean if not modern or lavish, and the rate was less than that of two separate rooms in much less favorably situated hotels around the area.
If you are coming for the weekend when the construction isn't going on, definitely stay here and pay for the river view. I would not book during the week at this point, unless you are completely sure that you can handle the extreme noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, river view, as far from contruction as possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Hello,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave us your comments. I am terribly sorry that you were disturbed the construction noise, as we try our best to keep it from interfering with our guests. We are working to wrap this construction up as quickly as possible and all our efforts are dedicated to providing an improved guest experience- from our facilities to our service. Thank you for complimenting our location and rooms, we take a great deal of pride in these aspects of our property. All of that said, I hope that you will return as we would love to welcome your back to a much quieter property.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Great location, courteous staff. But we only discovered that the hotel was undergoing heavy construction after we arrived, noisy, and somewhat spoiling an anniversary trip. Plus the "free" internet is spotty at best.

Dear TonyTonto,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback about your recent stay. We are in the process of wrapping up our renovations and I apologize if that soured your experience. Our internet connection is undergoing an update as well, and we are widening our bandwidth to alleviate any issues. I hope that you enjoyed your trip in spite of these things and we would love to see you again, next time you are in Chicago. We are constantly working to improve the experience of our guests, and I hope that you will come back to see our progress.

Best,

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on my first visit to Chicago and I have to say the location was about all I can say to find good about it and a few of the staff.
We were there during construction which they told us when we checked in at 2 in the morning. We were told 9-5 but it was on the 21st floor and we were on the 28th floor. Well WE HEARD IT AND THEY STARTED AT 8 in the morning. Tub didn't drain so had to have maintenance up to our room on the 1st morning. Day 2 I found an old old pear under the fridge which kinda says a lot about the housekeeping. The hotel eatery had tables that had been washed down with a sour towel. Basically the decor is old and outdated but fine but the eyes to detail are lacking.

• Stayed: September 2013
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with the location, but I am sorry we didn't measure up in other areas. We try to keep guests as far from the construction as we can, but sometimes there are conflicts and for that I apologize. As far as your other issues, they will specifically be addressed and I thank you for bringing them to my attention. We hope that you will visit us again next time you are in Chicago and give us another chance to impress you.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Our stay at this hotel was superb ! From the nice clean room to the friendly concierge who made excellent recommendations, this hotel is clean, big room, excellent view of the River, superbly well-located from a walking distance to everything...the concierge was very helpful and very resourceful and the room was quiet with a huge bathroom. We thought that being next to the elevators would be noisy and not at all, did not hear a thing.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to walk in this beautiful city !

Room Tip: It is worth the extra money to pay for a view to the River. When we checked in, there were some avai...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Stephanie A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such an outstanding review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, your stay, and most importantly, Chicago! We look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in town.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Have stayed here once prior, the best part of the hotel is its location central to business district and even closer the the magnificant mile. Staying here again this Thursday, looking forward to posting pictures and an updated review.

Room Tip: Check Hotwire for a great price, ask for a high level for the best views of the city/river.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Hello AdamHerried,

Thank you for your kind words! Welcome back to Chicago- we look forward to seeing you on Thursday and are so glad you chose us again. Feel free to tag us in your pictures, on Facebook and @wyndhamgrandchi on twitter. We love sharing guest photos!

Thanks again,

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Could not believe the deal I got on this hotel with a couple months anticipation. Could believe it less the second I saw the location, directly in front of the river and minutes away from anything in Downtown. The front desk staff were great, the check in process was smooth and the room was amazing! Wanted a room with a king bed, but quickly sacrificed it for one with two queens once I saw the view from the window. Absolutely stunning. The room was large with a huge bathroom and walk in closet. There was a shower and a tub in the bathroom which could be closed from the double sinks in the other room. There were some renovations going on at the time of our stay, but I wouldn't have known it because they could not be heard. A tremendous hotel in the heart of Chicago. Definitely my first choice when deciding where to stay on my next trip to Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the riverfront. Even the lower levels have a tremendous view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a stellar review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and your stay. Our staff looks forward to welcoming you back to Chicago!