“amazing views”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #72 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Very good location, at the centre of Chicago. I had a room with an amazing view of the river and the skyline. The room was very big, clean and the free wifi was quick. The american breakfast was good although a little pricey for european standards. The guys at the reception always there to help you with any questions.

Room Tip: Ask a room with a view at a top floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear General_traveller,

Thank you for the great review! I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay, especially our location in downtown Chicago, spacious guestrooms, and views of the city. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon!

Bob Holland

Write a ReviewReviews (5,050)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We visited Chicago & The Wyndham Grand this August for 4 nights with another couple. We were celebrating our 12th Anniversary (Aug. 4th) and their 14th Anniversary (July 31st) & only our 2nd trip away from our kids. Considering were were here the same weekend as Lallapalooza we were able to find a pretty good deal online through the Hotwire Mystery Hotel. Unfortunately the deal does not disclose that the hotel is under construction. This was no bother through the weekend but on Monday-Wednesday the noise started pretty early right outside below our window. Construction aside the hotel was pretty nice & a good value for the money . Our room was a decent size & nicely furnished. Our only issue in the room was the leaky shower as there was no seal on the bottom of the glass door causing the water to pool on to the bathroom floor each morning & a pillowcase that had an unwashed dried blood stain on it (which we promptly put aside) We never had any problems with the restocking of toiletries and coffee but our friends did not have their coffee or shampoo replaced during cleaning when it was all used up. The common areas...lobby, business centre, elevators & bathrooms were all excellent. The staff was always pleasant & friendly but when I tried to have a bottle of wine sent to our room on my anniversary I felt I didn't get that" above and beyond" attitude. By no means was anybody rude or unprofessional but I did expect them to help take care of that detail for me. When I came down that morning to ask if I could have a bottle sent up while we were out the staff at the desk informed me I would have to go back to my room and contact dining. This did not work for me as I wanted it to be a little surprise for my husband when we returned from the ball game later that day. The staff then called dining for me but said I would have to speak to them. After waiting on the phone for a while with no answer I gave up. Not once during my time at the front desk did staff wish me a happy anniversary or offer to take care of it for me. It was minor detail but I feel its that kind of extra effort and service that make a place really special. That being said we still had a great time in Chicago and at the Wyndham.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
BobHolland-GM, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Speedygee,

Happy anniversary! Thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate such a special occasion. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially our spacious guestrooms. However, I sincerely apologize for the minor issues you experienced with your room and our staff. Your feedback is extremely valuable and will help us improve our hotel.

Thanks, again! I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We booked this hotel through an online discount site and had read reviews, botn good and bad. We stayed 4 nights at a good price and feel that we got our money's worth.

We were aware there was construction going on and it was a bit noisy during the day - but we weren't there much during the week from 8-5 so it wasn't a problem. Room was fine, not the nicest I've ever stayed in but clean and comfortable. Housekeeping was good, all was well stocked and we didn't need anything.

Location was fabulous! Close to train and able to walk many places. We parked in a lot two buildings away for $34 a day rather that the $57 the hotel valet charged.

We ate at the restaurant next door one night and one morning and it was ok. Breakfast at the place on the corner pretty much every day. There's an Irish pub on the corner across the street towards the train that was very good! We had read poor reviews about Hoyt's, the hotel restaurant and they certainly lived up to their review. We only had drinks and appetizers at the lovely outdoor sitting area once and I've never had a more miserable waiter in my life! The waitress who helped us out while he ignored us was lovely though and she gave us free drink coupons after we complained.

Hotel staff was fine - not overly friendly and accommodating, but pleasant. We had to bring our son to the hospital in an ambulance one night during the stay and they were accomodating - though I found it curious that they didn't even follow up the next morning to see if all was ok.

Overall, hotel was fine for the money we paid. If you are paying the advertised rates, you'd want more for your money.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Msslp,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, especially our location in downtown Chicago. However, I'm sorry you did not have a better experience in our restaurant. That is not reflective of the level of service we strive for, and I would like to assure you that we take guest feedback very seriously. I hope your son and family are doing well. Best wishes.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel was recomended to me and I am glad that we stayed with you. It was a great experience even though we did not use the dining facility. We would not hesitate to stay with you again. Thank you, Rita

Dear Rita E,

Thank you for the great review! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and plan on staying with us again in the future. We're looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.