“Hotel Reserved for a Chicago Wedding”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #65 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 22, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel based on reviews and I was not disappointed. I got in early on the day I was checking in, and had asked the hotel prior to arriving if I could leave my bag before I started exploring the city. I got to the hotel at 9:30 a.m. and they allowed me to check-in early without any charge. That allowed me to plan my day without a stop back to check-in. My room looked right down on the river, with beautiful views of the architecture of Chicago right out my window. The room was well-appointed and clean. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful, and the location allowed me to walk to most attractions. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Chicago. This was my first time and Hotel 71 made an excellent first impression. I guarantee I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra amount for a river view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear MLK1954,

Thank you for choosing Hotel 71 and for leaving us such a glowing review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, specifically our location in downtown Chicago and views of the Chicago River. I'm glad our Front Desk Agents were able to assist with an early check in and that you found our staff to be very friendly and helpful. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the rest of our team!

Thank you for recommending our hotel. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Reviewed May 20, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Friendly Hotel with Attentive Service and Lovely Rooms - would recommend a River View Room. Even though the hotel is going through a refurbishment it was hardly noticeable. Bar/Restaurant Area is decent with loads of Breakfast places nearby for additional choice.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Andy S,

Thank you for choosing Hotel 71 and for leaving us such a great review! I'm so happy to hear that you would recommend our River View Rooms and found our staff to be friendly and attentive. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Arrived early (around noon) on Friday for a wedding weekend in Chicago and had to wait about an hour for room to be ready. Very nice room on 14th floor overlooking the river. Staff were very helpful and accommodating (especially the Director of Housekeeping and another housekeeping staff, named Theresa). Rooms are spacious with lots of closet space and mirrors. The bathroom had two vanity sink areas, a wonderfully large and deep soaker tub, and a walk in glass shower with built-in bench. I wasn't overly fond of the sample products, but there was also no shower cap to use with the wonderfully, but not adjustable, big shower head.
The occasional chair in the room wasn't terribly comfortable which was a drag. There is a one-cup Keurig in the room with two cups, but not enough coffee and condiments, so I had to ask for more. My room was across from the ice machine and the front desk lady told me "no one has ever complained about the noise", but it was, indeed, VERY noisy. As others mentioned, there were a couple of elevators out of order all weekend and with the hotel very full, it was a lot of waiting for it.
I did enjoy the gym. Probably one of the best I've ever seen in a hotel with good machines, not cheap! There are a few things they could do to improve it though, such as adding some Purell or disinfectant and water/cups. Never did figure out how to use the TVs on the equipment. Full length mirrors and several floor mats (although dirty), and a couple swiss balls. There is no pool, jacuzzi or sauna in the hotel.
I did eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was fine, and not horribly priced.
I thought it was a little pricey, but probably not much out of line with the competition.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are nice, although you'd have to stand up to see the view! Avoid ro...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Judy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a nice review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, specifically our spacious guestrooms and baths, views of the Chicago River, friendly staff and complimentary fitness center.

We appreciate all of your feedback. I apologize for the noise issues due to the ice machine. We will be sure to look into this. Thank you for your patience with our elevators, we are finishing up some work to improve them. Finally, regarding the bath products, you will be happy to hear that we are upgrading to Gilchrist & Soames products very soon.

I hope we will be bale to welcome you back again soon. Safe travels.