“Mini Honeymoon and a perfect stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #61 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Mini Honeymoon and a perfect stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a mini honeymoon a month after we had gotten married and we loved everything about this hotel. The views were absolutly amazing and it was walking distance to shopping and more. We loved it because it was a smaller, more unique hotel that did not have the feel of a over crowded, major tourist hotel in the city. We would stay here again!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room that faces the river, You will not be disappointed with the view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cpersha
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear cpersha,

Thank you so much for choosing Hotel 71 for your mini honeymoon. Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear that we did not disappoint on such a special occasion. We love offering our guests a unique, boutique atmosphere that you can't find anywhere else in Chicago. It was also great to hear that you loved our views of the Chicago River and our location near the infamous shopping district, the Magnificent Mile.

I hope you can stay with us again soon for any occasion, big or small.

Steve Shern

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I booked a weekend at Hotel 71 for a Romantic night with my girlfriend (and booked the Romance Package!). The hotel room was large, the bed was comfy, and had a great view of the river. It is located downtown, with easy access to cabs and close to the L-train. The hotel staff was friendly and allowed me to select the time I wanted the champaign sent to our room. Room service was timely (20-30 min) and Hoyt's restaurant had its good parts and bad parts. I was charged the "Romance Package" for both nights and only received the champaign and breakfast for one (so the price was a little high). Overall it was a nice experience and I would love to come back again. Tip: they have parking directly next to the hotel ($49 a day) with unlimited access to your vehicle at no charge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AskewFamily
Dear AskewFamily,

Thank you for choosing Hotel 71 for your romantic getaway weekend! It was great to read all of your positive comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your room, from the comfy bed to the view, and that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating. It was also great to see that you enjoyed our location. We pride ourselves on having one of the best hotel locations in Chicago, central to all the main attractions like Navy Pier, Millennium Park and the Magnificent Mile.

Regarding the Romance Package, typically when a guest books this package through our website it will automatically enter the package for your first night, but then only charge you for our best available rate for any subsequent nights. If you could email me with more information, I would be happy to look into this further. If you paid for the Romance Package both nights, you should have received all of the amenities (champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, etc.) both nights. I would be happy to upgrade you to the Romance Package for free during your next stay if you paid for it both nights and we failed to provide the amenities on the second night. Please contact insiderhotel71@wyndham.com so we can work everything out.

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

This was a great stay. I was here for one night for an interview. Free upgrade to premier executive suite and I got a place overlooking the river. It was amazing. Gym was very thorough and large and got a great workout in as well. Furnishings were not overly modern, which I liked. Staff was very friendly and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear snp83,

Thank you for such a positive review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be friendly and accomodating. Thank you for taking advantage of our complimentary 24-hour fitness center. With views overlooking the Chicago River, I truly believe it's one of our hidden gems.

I hope you will be able to visit again soon.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel a few months ago to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The hotel is conveniently located on Wacker Drive, just south of the Chicago River. It is a perfect location, close to the attractions in the River North tourist area, the museums/ Loop, and close to public transit that will take you to Northside or Wicker Park neighborhoods.
The hotel was decor was a little outdated, but that didn't matter because of the incredible view of the Chicago River. Rooms were spacious and beds were clean and comfortable enough for a good night's sleep. The only concern was that the bathroom tile was cracked in a few areas and the bathtub was a bit small. This was not a huge problem but it might be for someone expecting luxury.
As far as I know, no pool or hot tub was available. There is plenty to do in the area to keep you occupied otherwise.
All in all, a decent location and an incredible view made for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M_Funk07
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear M_Funk07,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so happy to hear that you chose to stay at Hotel 71 while celebrating such a special occasion. We pride ourselves on our spectacular views and having one of the best locations in downtown Chicago - steps from The Magnificent Mile and within walking distance of all the main attractions like Navy Pier and Chicago's wonderful museums.

I'd also like to thank you for letting us know about the concerns you had with your room. We just started new renovations to the hotel and will be focusing on updating our guestroom product. I think that you will be very happy with your guestroom the next time you visit.

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! We wish you all the best.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed hear with dear old mom this fall when I ran in the 2012 Chicago Marathon. I chose the hotel because of its proximity to the starting line (15 min walk) and its star rating. I was not disappointed. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating with the many questions I had about the area.

The room was huge with a great view of the river north area. Everything was top notch. I would definitely consider staying here next time I come to Chicago on business or to visit friends. Excellent location as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Scott M,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay when you were visiting with your mother. I'll be sure to pass along your great comments to our front desk agents. We pride ourselves on having a friendly and accommodating staff.

I hope you will be able to visit again soon. And a big congratulations on running the Chicago Marathon. That is a huge accomplishment!

Lincolnwood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We live in Chicago and won a free night in this hotel. We were quite impressed. The front desk was very nice at check-in and our river view room was spacious and had all amenities we could want. The view up the river is spectacular and reason alone enough to pick this hotel. Great restaurants all around, and just a few blocks from the Theatre Diatrict and Michigan Avenue shopping. Within walking distance of the museum campus and Navy Pier. I will recommend this to friends and family who visit Chicago.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear shackelton,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of the hotel! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We take pride in our views and our location, so I'm thrilled to hear that even as a Chicagoan you were impressed with them. Thank you for recommending us to your friends and family!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked this hotel for a four night stay and it was a great value. The hotel is centrally located to many of Chicago's attractions as well as plenty of resturaunts and a short walk from the "L". Our room was very spacious with a large flat screen TV, a mini fridge (big enough to stash a 2-liter soda and snacks), as well as a Keurig coffee maker. Considering I visited in December I can bear witness that the heaters in the rooms work very well. The room and shower were clean and the bed was very comfortable. The front desk was friendly even when we checked in at 11:40pm, whoever was mannng the desk always had a smile and a greeting. The business center was reasonably sized, it had two computer with complimentary printing and a couple of sofas. Two warnings however. First, if you love really hot showers you may be displeased. The water never seem to get very hot, its not that the water was cold, the water was comfortably warm just not hot. Secondly, if you are eco concious you will need to refuse housekeeping. We left our towels on the towel rack to indicate that we would be reusing the towels, but our towels were replaced with new ones when we returned. I am not sure if there was miscommunication between the housekeeping staff and management, but to be on the safe side we just placed the do not disturb sign when we would leave. If you are concious of water management I suggest you test it first, it may have been a one time mistake so you may not have this problem.

Room Tip: Get a river view room if you want a guranteed nice view or one of the top floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear ShalymarL,

Thank you for the great review! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and liked our location, in the center of downtown Chicago. I’ll be sure to pass along your nice comments about our front desk staff. We pride ourselves on having a friendly and accommodating staff.

Our guestrooms are among the largest in the city. It’s great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our guestroom amenities, like the Keurig coffee maker and mini-fridge, and our business center. Our business center is open 24-hours a day, so it’s there whenever you need it.

I’m sorry to hear that you were having problems with the hot water and having your towels changed. It is very rare to hear complaints about our water temperature, so I can assure you that this is not a common issue. In the future, if you experience anything you feel is unsatisfactory (even something as minor as the water temperature), please contact our front desk staff and they will be happy to help. In regard to the towels, it is customary for our housekeepers to replace them daily. However, if you do not want them switched out, simply call our front desk and they will make the necessary arrangements with our housekeeping department. We are happy to accommodate anything eco-friendly.

Again, thank you for your review!