“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Reading, PA
“Great hotel”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for a business meeting. At the last minute, I upgraded my room to a fitness suite with a treadmill. The room was huge, especially the beautiful bathroom. The entryway had a wetbar with refrigerator. I didn't find any plates, wine glasses, etc., but room service brought them upon request.

The bedroom itself was large, with a very comfortable king-size bed and excellent pillows. There was also a chaise lounge, which was great for a solo traveler, but made it impossible to invite my friends in for a drink or snack, to take advantage of the fabulous wetbar. The treadmill was a top-of-the-line machine in a separate room, facing the window and a TV. However, the TV was too low to watch, and the view was terrible. I was a bit disappointed after hearing about the amazing views, but obviously, with its city location, not every room can have a view. (I wasn't disappointed at all with the treadmill itself, and I really enjoyed the privacy while working out!)

I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. In fact, I miss it already! This will be my hotel of choice in Chicago from now on.

The location is very convenient, only about 2 blocks from the State and Lake stop of the Orange line. Be warned, though: there is no escalator or elevator to the elevated tracks, so be prepared to carry your bags up and down the steps.

By the way, I found a great cheese and wine store--Pastoral Artisan Cheese--about a block away. Highly recommended for stocking your wetbar!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lake Benton, Minnesota
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel 71 for work and I thought it was wonderful. My room was on the corner and I had LARGE windows all the way along the outside. I was on the 15th floor and had a spectacular view of the Chicago River. The room itself was very nice. My favorite part was the Kurig that they had in the bathroom! I also had breakfast at the hotel one morning and the food was delicious. I would say that it was a little over priced, but it was very good!

Room Tip: Make sure your room faces the river. It's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our room at Hotel 71 was perfect! We had a corner room with windows on two walls of the room overlooking the river - absolutely beautiful. The room had more than enough space to comfortably accommodate three adults. Beds were queen size and very comfortable (I'm quite picky and get back and hip pain if I sleep in a bed that's too firm. I had absolutely no pain after sleeping on these beds for three nights.) Housekeeping always had our room clean by the time we got back at around 5pm, and never bothered us when we had our 'do not disturb' sign up. They always brought us more coffee and towels when we requested extra. The bathrooms were also spacious and had enough counter space for our flat irons, make-up, etc. My sister is very picky about bathrooms and she was very happy with this one. We were on the 25th floor and didn't hear any traffic during the night; just the occasional siren.

The location was perfectly set in the middle of downtown Chicago. We walked to Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier (about a mile away), Millennium Park, Art Institute, and many restaurants in the area.

We didn't try the hotel restaurant or room service so I can't comment on those. But there is a delicious Italian restaurant a few doors down with great thin crust pizza and fantastic tiramisu.

I've stayed at a few other hotels in downtown Chicago, but I absolutely plan to stay at Hotel 71 next time I'm there!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on higher floors have the best views!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hotel 71 is the perfect opportunity to enjoy boutique accommodations in a fabulous location along the River, just steps from Michigan Avenue's "Magnificent Mile" shopping. The hotel has become our favorite for the annual "Greening of the River" at St. Patrick's Day, which takes place between the Michigan and Wabash avenue bridges, right in front of the hotel. An easy walk to Near North's wonderful dining offers a wide selection, from Portillo's and the Billy Goat Tavern, to Numero Uno and Lou Malnati's, to Gibson's and Quartino. Food is never hard to find! Millenium Park and State Street are blocks to the south, Lincoln Park Zoo and Navy Pier are a short taxi ride to the north.

The hotel itself offers an inviting, social lobby, friendly staff, and plenty of elevators. The hotel's restaurant is Hoyt's, an American Bistro offering contemporary cuisine and a lively bar atmosphere. Rooms are spacious and well-appointed at unexpectedly affordable prices. Views of the River are unmatched.

I enthusiastically recommend Hotel 71 and will enjoy its convenience and luxuries again soon!

Room Tip: The lower floors have been recently remodeled. Book a Premier River King on one of the higher floor...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davemaul
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel. Spacious rooms could be laid out better but I couldn't believe the size of a city room! Walking distance to most tourist locations and blocks from the trains. Did not dine in the restaurant but there are many near by (south water kitchen was awesome) Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012
clio michigan
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We Loved this hotel!! Stayed here for the weekend with my hubby! Close to to Michigan Ave, walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. Beautiful skyline of the city .. Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed November 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed here several times over the past 10 years and it seems to be better each time. Great location without the name brand cost of properties on the same block. Staff is top notch. I know I can stay here and not get any unexpected surprises.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask/get a 'River Side' room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business