“fantastic”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #72 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My wife and i had a fantastic stay at the hotel 71 it is right in the middle of all the attractions and within walking distance of most.Ask for a river veiw room they are great.We cannot praise the hotel enough.A special thanks to i think her name was Ali on reception she is so helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,042)

Reviewed July 9, 2011

This was a nice enough downtown hotel but not as nice as others I've stayed at in Chicago. For my most recent stay, the location was really the best feature. Between Michigan & State, very close to both the red line and the Metra Randolph station. The staff at the check in was nice enough. Although the room was on the small side, the bathroom was actually pretty spacious. Everything was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I was disappointed that the room had no refrigerator. I didn't check this ahead of time, but I just assumed there would be one. The wifi connection wasn't great for me but it was available and easy enough to get connected. There was a restaurant/bar downstairs with outdoor seating. Also, within a block were both a 7-eleven and a Corner Bakery. I feel that for $99 a one-night Friday night stay here was a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2011

First week of June, I stayed a week in Hotel 71, which is located centrally in Chicago just opposite the Huge Trump Tower, the other side of the river. River view was very pleasant and there were many attractions in the close distant. My room was quiet big but there were no signs of refurbishments. When asked, I was told that because the hotel was full I was not in a fully re-furbished room. There was no mini bar or safety deposit box in the room. The bath room was old and basic. Internet was free. Since my stay was for a huge conference in Chicago, all hotels were full and rates were quite high. Ground transport arranged by the hotel was not there on my arrival. All minor things were compensated by the friendly staff at the front desk and good service. Even though I was not in a renovated room, because of the location of the hotel and the friendly service, I can recommend it as one of the good hotels in Chicago downtown.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Dr_Rohan
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We made a last minute trip to Chicago and booked this room It was an absolute pleasant surprise. It has impeccable service and its in the center of a lot of important places - magnificent mile, river walk, tourist destination. Great place to stay. The breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: River room - high floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I stayed for 6 nights due to a congress. I knew nothing about the hotel. This was my second visit to the windy city. The staff was very helpful and nice. When I got to my room my jaw dropped:what a rooom and such a magnificent view from the window. The hotel has great location. The room was large with a kingsized comfy bed. Large TV. Coffee maker. Desk. Internet access. The breakfast was delicious. There was a cook preparing omelets for you. The coffee was beyond words.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank kenshiho
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I purchased the Groupon for this hotel which was $109/night for a king riverview room. When we checked in, the staff was very helpful and pleasant. Although a high-rise, you still get the quaint feel of a boutique hotel. The lobby and onsite restaurant (Hoyt) had great modern and comfortable furniture. The room itself had a marvalous view from the 32nd floor. Bed was super comfy, as was the chaise lounge. Like other reviewers said, the walls are a little thin and the bathroom could use some updating (mainly the tub as it was VERY slow to drain after showering), but these things didn't bother me too much to ruin my stay. The staff responded quickly to my request for more towels and I loved having a Keurig in the room. Unfortunately, we had a very busy weekend, so we didn't spend a lot of time there. But I'd love to go back, especially at that price.

Few tips: The attached garage is $45/night. But you can park at the open lot right next to the hotel for about $28/night. We parked our car and walked or took the bus wherever we needed to go, and cabbed it when it got too late.

But the location is optimal, great for those who want to shop/dine/play on Mag. Mile and come back to their room to rest and/or refuel. Also great locale to reach the parks for the Taste of Chicago or other events. Wish they had a pool, but oh well..the beaches in Chicago are a great substitute.

The restaurant at the hotel next door Bacino's also makes a decent deep dish pizza. And try the Corner Bakery (1 min away) or Yolk (5 minute cab/bus ride) for great breakfast alternatives.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverview room on upper floors
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cayatana
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Stayed here June 2011, got a deal thru lastminutetravel.com, hotel staff was very nice and helpful with suggestions and places to visit while in the city. Room was great, we had a riverside view room, view was awesome, room was nice, clean and spacious. The location was right where we wanted to be, close to Michigan Ave (half a block) easy walking distance to alot of places of interest. The double decker trolley bus had a stop right across the street from hotel. I will definitley stay here the next time I am in Chicago. The only down side is they don't have a refridgerater in the room, other than that its a great place to stay. Hotel valet parking was $45 a night, expensive yes, but seems to be about the going rate in the city.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple