“Fun Trip - Decent Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #85 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Nashville, Tennessee
“Fun Trip - Decent Hotel”
Reviewed April 22, 2007

Mom, sis and I met in Chicago for a girl's weekend to celebrate my mother's birthday. We arrived at the hotel at 8:45 AM on Friday morning. I was able to preregister at the desk and the employee told me I could check back earlier than 3 since my room would probably be ready. The extremely friendly bellman took my luggage and teased me that "it was so sad we had to go shopping!" Security was also very helpful and locked my laptop in their security area rather than the general luggage hold.

We came back at 2 and the room was ready. 10th floor, corner room, 2 doubles. Complimentary bottled water was waiting for us as a HH member. The room was very clean and extremely quiet. Beds/pillows were extremely comfortable. The pullout bed was a no-go as it was just too flimsy. Sis and mom ended up sharing a bed :) I lucked out on that one!!

The breakfast bar each day was not crowded, but we were there around 8 am each day. Choices were the normal breads, meats, eggs. The hot foods were slightly cold and the bread a little stale the first day. The next day we got cooked to order eggs which were MUCH better. Overall not bad especially since included in the room rate. We were always gone during the manager's reception so no review on it.

The hotel offers free internet in the business center which I used two days to check email and get boarding passes. The room did not have an ethernet cable (I forgot mine) so my laptop was of no use.

The location is awesome with just a few blocks from Michigan Ave. We had restaurants all around and walked everywhere. We walked to the Oriental Theater Saturday night and did not feel unbearingly unsafe on the walk back - we speed walked back and made it in about 12 minutes :)

Overall, nice clean hotel, great staff and comfy beds. Great location!!

• Liked — Location!!
  • Disliked — Definitely not soundproof to outside noise
2 Thank snwarf01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Korean first
Stirling, Scotland
Reviewed April 11, 2007

We have a family of 4 so to get a room that would accommodate 6 was superb value for money. The breakfast in the morning is more than adequate and the managers free drinks in the evening was a bonus.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city on a budget.

2 Thank LizzyW
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 7, 2007

Booked too far in advance and was stuck with a pricey, inflexible reservation. Lovely view of a parking ramp. Note that the luggage carts can only be used by bellmen. There's a lot of nickel and diming at the facility, which isn't very family-friendly. Breakfast buffet is largely inedible.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
3 Thank mplsmama
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed March 30, 2007

I spent three nights here on business for a conference at the McCormick Convention Center. The location is excellent with respect to tourist locations in Chicago, but poor for getting to the convention center. The hotel staff was nice and gladly let me switch rooms the first evening due to problems with a neighbor. The hotel was a little noisy with tourist traffic (i.e. kids running around), but evenings were quiet. The rooms were large suites, which was a little overkill. The kitchenette area was in need of some renovation. In both rooms, the cabinetry was warping and there were stains on the floor near the minifridge. Everything else was average. Breakfast was included, and consisted for the standard bagels and muffins, in addition to hot items like an omelet bar, bacon, sausage, eggs, hasbrowns, etc. While the room wasn't as nice as I had anticipated, the overall experience was satisfactory and I would consider staying here again if other options were booked.

• Stayed March 2007
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed March 30, 2007

This hotel is centrally located to many of Chicago's inner-city major businesses and restaurants. It is very close to the underground metro and taxi service is easy to and from all locations. The rooms are quite comfortable but I needed maintenance to turn the air handler to "Summer" as all I could get was warm air and it was 80-degrees in the room. The manager's reception is quite nice and you can make a meal of the snacks that are served. I secured this reservation directly with Hilton Hotels and actually received a better rate ($149) than Expedia. One final note - Homewood Suites downtown is a far superior lodging accommodation and is also part of the Hilton Hotel chain.

• Liked — Room cleanliness
  • Disliked — Paying $10 per day for using their local Internet service.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank pittston
Indianapolis
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Spent this past weekend with my husband @ the Embassy Suites Downtown and had a fantastic time. We were very impressed with the hotel and all of the "extras" (fabulous breakfast, Manager's evening reception). We were equally impressed by how friendly and helpful the staff of the hotel were. We will definately stay there again on our next visit to Chicago.

Stayed March 2007
Wareham, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I stayed here for a convention that I attended. What a great place. They have a free cooked to order breakfast daily and in the evening they have a Managers Complimentary snacks and cocktails from 5-7 nightly. Lobby area is actully a floor above from the ground level which makes it a nice place to sit and relax. This is also where the breakfast area is. The rooms are mini suites and are very comfortable. The hotel is close to all of downtown and within walking distance from the Navy Pier. The city of Chicago is a great town. Other members that attended the convention were staying at the Sheraton and the Ritz across the street from us and were disappointed. They had to pay for everything including the newspaper. Our was delivered free daily to your room. There were a lot of families there also so I would recommned this hotel for families. Overall great place and very convienent.
I would stay there again for business or pleasure.

• Liked — Location/ daily breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business