“Good location but a little noisy”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #85 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Ann Arbor, MI
“Good location but a little noisy”
Reviewed November 18, 2008

This hotel is located close to Michigan Ave and the many other downtown attractions. You can hop on the free trolley close to the hotel and get to the further destinations for free. The breakfast is excellent though you best get there before 8:30-9am. Lines can be long. My only complaint is the overall noise of the place. The walls seem to have no insulation and I can hear the rooms around me. Also since I went with my family, I slept on the sleeper sofa. I can heard the outside waterfall and people walking the hallways all night. I was tempted to give it only a three star but I guess you can't control your room neighbors.

• Liked — Location and breakfast
  • Disliked — Exterior room noise
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
EmbassyHotelManager, Hotel Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, December 2, 2008
Greeting from the Windy City! Thank you for both your kind words on the breakfast & feedback on the noise level. I am so sorry to hear that you could hear noise outside your room. While an atrium can carry noise, we certainly will look into the matter and see if we can make corrections.

Thank you again. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Korean first
johncookjr
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Overall not a terrible place to stay. Great location. Friendly Doorman. However, this hotel is in desperate need of some Customer Service training. The Front Desk staff has turned to apathy rather than their training in dealing with their customer's needs. The breakfast was delicous and hot. Unfortunately the silverware and plates needed some attention. Normally I would stay here 2-3 times per year. I'm not so sure anymore.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank johncookjr
EmbassyHotelManager, Hotel Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2008
Greeting from the Windy City! Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on the front desk staff. I am so sorry that they were not attentive to your needs. Please know that your comments are important to us and we will address this issue.

Thank you also for your kind comments about the doorman. They will be so pleased to hear they have another happy customer.
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I stayed here for two weeks for business training. The hotel was in a convienent location near the Magnificent Mile and bus/train stops. The hotel was nice looking. The beds were comfortable. The manager's reception (happy hour) with alcoholic drinks and a few snacks was good when I remembered it. The hot breakfast everyday was great, but don't be fooled by the cooked to order. That only means omlets and nothing else cooked to order. The concierge was very helpful getting reservations and giving directions, but there was only one for all guests so be prepared to wait until the person in front of you has been handled. My complaints: The price for internet daily is 10 dollars or you could use there business center which only has three computers and are always busy. The walls are paper thin in the rooms and you can hear those right outside your door if they are talking in a normal voices. I was almost able to hear full conversations through the vents from the guests near me. You can hear when the guests next door have the water running because the pipes are loud. The noise from the atrium will filter up to the rooms also. There is only one washer and two dryers for all guests that may wash there own laundry. It is inconvienent to be able to get change and laundry detergent at the front desk, but they are willing to give you change and let you buy single laundry detergent. I wouldn't recommend using the laundry service they have because the price is per item (ie. your underwear cost 6 dollars a piece to wash). I would recommend the dry cleaning at the hotel or the dry cleaners about four blocks south of the hotel on the right. The hotel and the travel agency I used didn't get everything straight with the corporate credit card I was suppose to have on file until I checked out on the 12th day and by that time they had already charged my personal credit card for the first week and some days. The hotel did fix this within the next few days, but it temporarily maxed my card out for those few days waiting for them to refund it. All in all, an okay time with a few minor bumps. I don't recommend for extended stays, but do make sure the hotel has everything correct on your reservation once you get there.

• Liked — The beds were very comfortable
  • Disliked — The mess up of the reservation between the travel agency and the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank mixerfsg
Greeting from the Windy City! Thank you for taking time to provide us with valuable feedback from your visit.

My apologies that the breakfast staff was not able to provide you alternative cooked-to-order items. We do serve eggs any style as well as pancakes & french toast upon request. Please also accept my regrets for the noise you heard from the atrium & surrounding rooms. Thank you for your comments about the limited availabity of the business center & laundry facilities. Feedback such as this is very helpful when we are considering what improvements can be made to enhance the experience of our guests.

While I am very sorry there was a confusion with your bill upon arrival, I am pleased to hear the staff was attentive to the error.

Thank you again for all your comments. I truly appreciate it & do hope we see you again when you're in town.
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 5, 2008

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown Chicago for 5 nights, and was very happy with the property. The included breakfast/ 6:30-9:30am was excellent (eating before 8am is best, as it gets busy later).

There is so many great restaurants (Grand Luxe Cafe is one of my favorites) and stores closeby, and it feels very safe to walk about even after dark. I felt it was a safe hotel for a woman traveling alone.

Internet access in the hotel is fast, however not free! $9.95 per day. Even if you only use it for an hour in the evening, after midnight you get a 2nd for the next day's useage.

The 2 room suite was well appointed with a large comfortable bed, microwave, safe, coffee maker, sofa table and chairs. 2 TV's one a flat screen in the living area.
Because there is no desk, the table is your computer work area, and the chairs at the table are hard and uncomfortable. The living room area furniture was hard as rocks and kind of worn in the suite I occupied. I beleive the sofa in the living room was a fold out bed.

Other pluses, a pool and work out area that looked beautiful and clean, Manager's reception at 5pm offered free drinks, and snacks. It looked crowded, and one evening I stopped by at 6pm, and there were no snacks left.

It is attractive and has a great front desk staff.

• Liked — The included breakfast, the staff and the comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Charge of $9.95 for wireless internet and the hard chairs
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank jberger
EmbassyHotelManager, Hotel Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, October 19, 2008
Greetings from the "Windy City!" Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of the hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed our rooms and our breakfast. We hope to see you again soon!
Rockford IL
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Got stuck in a smoking room. I was told upon checkin that while the hotel was fully booked, but not everyone had yet checked in. I asked for a non-smoking room and was told that "we sold all of our smoking rooms to Priceline." I know that as a Priceline customer one is second-class immediately, but there was NO hope of me bidding on this hotel and getting a non-smoking room. Terrible experience. Bidders beware of getting stuck here in a room that reeks of smoke!!!

• Liked — Location only
  • Disliked — Entire floor reeked of cigarette smoke
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank caverbw
Greeting from the "Windy City!" Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Chicago & for taking time to provide us with feedback.

I am so sorry to hear we were unable to change your reservation to a non-smoking room. Please rest assured that as a Priceline customer you are just as valuable to us as any other customer. Unfortunately, our agreement with Priceline does only include non-suite rooms and smoking rooms. While we do our best to move guests into their preferred room types, we cannot always accommodate. However, if you bookdirectly with the hotel or its website, we do guarantee both smoking preference and room type. Our apologies for any negative experince you had.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed only one night over Labor Day weekend in conjunction w/ a special event in Chicago (two DB two room suite). This hotel will not knock your socks off with luxury, but it was clean and in pretty good condition. Bed room had a vanity sink w/ door that closed to living area w/ pull-out sofa.

Lobby and common areas quite nice. Room pretty average for this type of property. Not the best mattress or linens, but pretty good towels, fixtures, etc. Small fridge and microwave were nice for the family. There are two grocery stores within a block of this hotel. Easy to stock up.

Hotel is also on free trolley line (summer only), and short walk to CTA red line, mag mile shopping (with CTA bus services to museums, etc.). Just a great location with a lot of bustle where you can base your city visit.

I missed the evening reception but family enjoyed it. Breakfast in the morning was great. Hotel provided guidance on when it gets busy; we avoided the rush and had a pleasant meal.

Pool area was a bit tired, and they seemed to have used all available chlorine. Gym appears newly refinished, with pretty good equipment.

• Liked — Closed door between parents and kids
  • Disliked — Pool was a bit rough with chlorine
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
michigan
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We only stayed one night but the rooms are laid out very nice walk in to front room small hallway with bathroom then a bedroom pool was nice and clean so was hot tub breakfast was very good loved the omlet station

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — a little pricey