“Great Visit”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #84 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 11, 2014

A really good value, I stayed for $99/night. This is a typical Embassy Suites room. It is Clean. Excellent breakfast served, many options, far more than expected & very well done! Location seemed fine, I had meetings and took cabs everywhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We had an excellant stay in downtown for our 30th Anniversary. The staff was excellent and helpful. They offered suggestions for sites and had helpful coupons. The hot breakfast was outstanding. Alot of very nice sites to see within walking distance. Cabs were also plentiful.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2014

When I arrived things appeared great. However, there was a large wet area on the carpet between the bedroom and bathroom and a type of aroma that faintly smelled of vomit. I carry Febreeze with me so that was resolved. Then on Sunday morning about 7:45 am I rec'v a call from the "front desk, guest services" indicating the systems went down overnight and lost the majority of my info and they want to just confirm my information. Being awakened from sleep I asked if I could come down to the front desk later but the guy on the line indicated it needed to be handled right away. I went ahead and confirmed my info over the phone and hung up. After about 10 mins, I decided to call the front desk to verify if the systems went down. The front desk rep Ronnie indicated I needed to cancel my CC right away because I had been a victim of a scam. I hung up and called My CC Company right away and canceled my card. I was in a tough situation because I only had $40 in cash on me and the CC I had to cancel and my check-book with me. I went to the Front desk and asked to speak to a manager. Ronnie indicated she was the manager and I explained my situation and ask her how this could have happened. She explained that I would not Embassy's fault, indicating the staff does not have access to my personal info once the "check in process" was complete and unfortunately I would have been the fault of my CC authorization carrier. We went back and forth and Ronnie told me she was sorry for my experience but Embassy was not responsible and there was nothing she could do for me. Ronnie indicated that this type of thing happens quite often and others have reported this type of scam while staying at Embassy. Ronnie indicated in the future I would need to check the "caller id" on the room phone prior to giving out personal information. Which was the oddest statement she said because the room phones do not have caller id's but I ended the conversation because I no longer wanted to debate with her. I was so disappointed in the lack of compassion. I had to have a family member from home wire me cash. Prior to checking out I rec'v a letter under my door indicating I needed to contact the front desk regarding my balance. I went down stairs and spoke to Marrissa, who explained everything thoroughly. Marrissa indicated she did hear how Ronnie treated me and that Ronnie had informed me about the process incorrectly. She patiently explained why I had a balance and I understood why I still had a balance. I am not sure if I will stay at this Embassy Suite again.

Only 2 of 4 elevators worked which made coming and going really tough....

Ronnie contacted me on 1/31/2014 at 5:10 pm, indicating she called regarding the review I wrote, and wanted to know if I wanted to speak about it further. I indicated I felt really bothered by her service and I am very surprised and it was in poor taste that SHE would be calling me. Ronnie said given the circumstances nothing she said would have satisfied me and that she felt she did all she could. I let her know, this is not about her feelings and I was terrible turned off by her service, her way of communicating to me and also her only wanting to relieve Embassy of any liability of any wrong and wanting to be "Right". I let her know that I no longer wanted to be contacted by her and would like someone over her to contact me. Ronnie did not honor my request, instead she follow-up with an email at 6:08pm, expressing how sorry she was about me experience and to contact her if I had any further questions. At this point, I am LIVID! I had to research myself who the general manager. I will be contact him. To date I have not recieved a response from him either. I will now be contacting the BBB.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Alessa P
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We (family of 4) spent a week here in August while I had some business meetings and some free time. This hotel is in a great location for good access to Chicago attractions for a reasonable price. Having a suite gave us the space we needed to spread out as well as put kids to bed earlier. The rooms are comfortable and quiet and the kitchenette was handy for preparing snacks and light meals. The hotel serves a great breakfast buffet with a wide variety of hot and cold food. The pool and spa were a hit with the kids and great way to end the day after sightseeing. There are plenty of shops nearby and it is a short walk to Michigan Ave with high-end shopping and bus connections to the rest of the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GoAlong2
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I have never had a disappointing experience at an Embassy Suites hotel, but I did at this hotel. To start, the hotel staff is very nice and friendly and eager to answer any questions or help out. Housekeeping does an excellent job getting the rooms cleaned up nicely and in a very timely manner. It's great that both breakfast and happy hour are offered to guests. The lobby and second level are very nice.
We stayed at this hotel last year and it was being remodeled. A year later, we stay here again and it is still being remodeled. The hotel still only has two of the four elevators working, so it is rather slow getting on an elevator and to your floor. The rooms are fairly well maintained and offer the typical spacious Embassy Suites layouts...front living room area with desk, TV, couch, ottoman, and the bedroom area with a wet bar in between. The thermostat could never get the room below 69 degrees, so it was always warm in the room, which for those that like their rooms on the cooler side, it was uncomfortable. The TV in the front room was very nice and had inputs allowing you to connect a laptop to the TV. The TV in the bedroom, is an old, cheap flat panel that doesn't allow you to connect anything to it, so there is no way to watch movies or anything from your laptop on the bedroom TV. The bathroom is a bit small, but there was always hot water and good water pressure. The hotel internet worked pretty good with nice speeds. The hotel guest laundry is a joke. It is free to use, but you are better off doing laundry elsewhere. There is one washer and two dryers. The washer is very slow and leaves the clothes sopping wet. The dryers don't do anything to dry the clothes...even after three cycles. But I guess you can't complain if it's free. Everyone that used the guest laundry had the same complaint.
This hotel is in a great location, but there are several other Hilton properties right in the area that would be a better choice.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank MartinJLD
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Great lakefront location. Close to main city centre. Suite hotel with good feel, service etc. Would definitely return. We had several people from UK, Europe and US all meet here and all commented on overall experience as very piositive

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This hotel is not only beautiful but convienent to everything you could ever want to do in Chicago. We took a two nigth 3 day get away for our anniversary and it was excellent. The price was unbelievable, the service was superb and the happy hour was fantastic! We walked to PF Chang's for our dinner, went to see a play and enjoyed the pool and hot tub at the hotel. The breakfast was to die for.

Room Tip: All rooms are suites.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple