“No Free Internet”

Ranked #79 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Upland, United States
“No Free Internet”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is not an inexpensive hotel. The suite was beautiful and the reception with Happy Hour and appetizers was very nice. The only problem for me is the that I called the lobby from my room and found that they charge $9.95 for internet access for 24 hours. I later found out from a coworker also staying at this location, as a Hilton Honors member the internet is complementary. I am also a Hilton Honors member but was not offered the complementary internet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Korean first
Tamaqua, PA
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at the Embassy Suites while attending a Chicago convention and really enjoyed my four night stay. The living area has plenty of work space and room to relax with convenient power plugs on the desk. Unlike many suite hotels, the bathroom was not tiny or oddly placed. It was a full size bathroom. My room was decorated nicely and very clean. My only complaint was the slightest trace of mildew in the shower, but it was only a trace. The free breakfast was sufficient each day and the free drinks and snacks in the evening was quite nice. The elevators were very responsive as well despite staying on the 9th floor. The very best reason beyond all of this is the location. I can't imagine a hotel with wider selection of high end and affordable restaurants and bars within a block or two. This hotel is at the top of my list for my next Chicago visit.

Room Tip: Stay high as it's an atrium so you may hear breakfast noise in the morning on the low floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dallas
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were in Chicago to take my son back to college. We stayed two nights at this Embassy Suites. We were very impressed. The hotel looks and feels brand new. It was exceptionally clean. The rooms are typical Embassy Suites rooms with living room and kitchens. The staff was fantastic. The only problem was that there were about a million kids in the hotel, so it was very crowded during the evening reception and at peak time at breakfast. But, we had breakfast early and the food was good. They had an omelette/egg station. They also had some oriental breakfast foods which I thought was odd. The gym was very nice. Pool looked nice, but didn't try it because of all the kids. The location is a bit away from things. It is convenient for shopping, but my guess is it is about a mile from the lake and Navy pier. I ran down there one morning and it took about 9 minutes to jog there. But overall, great experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was our first experience staying at the Embassy Suites. Overall we had a great experience. The location was excellent. We were able to walk just about everywhere. We found out that there was free trolley to Navy Pier just up a block or so. The breakfast was really good. They had a lot to offer and it was constantly being replenished. The evening manager's reception was also good. The pool was small, but it was good for the kids. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff wasn't overly friendly, but not rude either. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Fargo ND
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Easy access to and from I-90. Staff was courteous. Check-in was a breeze. We had a 2 double bed suite. And the beds are doubles, not queens. Although the rooms appeared to be recently renovated the cleanliness (clothing sticker on wall, coffee ring stains on end tables) wasn't up to par. Otherwise I would have given this hotel 5 stars, easily!

The location really is hard to beat. It was centrally located and within walking distance to tons of things including the Red Line, Navy Pier Trolley, restaurants galore, Trader Joe's and a decent size Osco Jewel grocery store, to name a few. The Magnificent Mile was 3 blocks away. Cabs were always available right on the corner.

The nightly manager's reception (free drinks and snacks) was great! And the free hot breakfast was very good. Although it could get busy the line moved quickly and staff was on top of keeping things replenished and tables clean.

Here's a tip if you bring your car ... no need to pay close to $60 a night for parking. There is a parking ramp on the next block called Grand Parking. We got a spot there for our vehicle for $21 a day from spothero.com.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank saraalison
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were very pleased with this hotel from the location (obviously) (3 blocks to Michigan Avenue!!) to the rooms, bed and pillows. We arrived just in time for the manager's reception and enjoyed a couple of cocktails and snacks - much needed after traveling. The breakfast had a nice variety of cold & hot items and great coffee! The staff were great - very accommodating when we asked for a later check-out and when our room keys didn't work. The decor inside is beautiful!! The staircase leads to the second floor which is wide open with a lot of seating and relazing space. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Chicago!!! Well done Embassy Suites!!!

Room Tip: Third floor - that way you can use the stairs instead of waiting for the elevators!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SherryLynn1961
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2013

It has been a while. But everytime I time I think about this occurrence, it makes me want to complain. So, finally, I am doing that. We had this person bring our luggage on a cart from our room to the outside of the hotel, where our car was. I tipped him. Unfortunately, due to an oversight, I gave him an amount smaller than I intended to. He literally threw it back at me (a guest) and advised me to have a cup of coffee on him. Then he went back into the hotel. Having realized my mistake, I went inside and gave him the appropriate amount. To this day, I regret not having spoken to a manager about it while I was there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family