“The renovation of the lobby is very tasteful. The reception and the breakfast is a nice touch. Would prefer queen beds”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #84 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the ES. Rooms with King beds were not available so had to take a room with two full beds. We would have much preferred two queen beds. The reception and the breakfast were very crowded, but was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Make sure to lock down a king suite
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Wonderful accommodations. Free nutritious breakfast. Attentive service. Great location in central downtown Chicago. Reasonable hotel rate. What else could any ask for. My wife and I will stay at this Embassy Suites Hotel property on all future visits to Chicago.

Room Tip: Our room faced a multi-floor parking garage. Wish we would have upgraded to a room with a better vi...
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Fun trip to Chicago, ok stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel. The thermostat in room did not work. The room was too cold and my children came home sick. We found previous guests trash under the beds as we were checking to make sure we had all our stuff before checking out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Checked in early in the day. Glad we did. Hotel got very busy around normal check-in time. We were there over Spring Break -- unfortunately. We were not there on vacation and were dismayed to have LOTS of little children--ages 4-7--running all over the hotel unaccompanied. They were running laps around the floors, slamming doors, playing with elevators, screaming. Breakfast was good but you had to go early to avoid long lines. Wish hotel staff would supervise kids at the buffet--saw some pretty gross things (which is another reason to go early--before all the kids get up). Pool and hot tub were overflowing with people so we avoided them.

No issues with the hotel itself. They were finishing up renovations in the lobby but it didn't impact our stay. Hotel staff opened up additional rooms so that there was adequate seating for breakfast. Concierge had a long line so we asked for info from the front desk, and they were very accommodating.

Bottled water in the room was $4. Water in the vending machine was $2. We walked across the street to the corner market and got 6 bottles for $1.99.

You have to pay for internet access which is ridiculous in this day and age. AND, the access is for only ONE device, not every device in the room. Would have been nice if they had clarified this prior to us getting it. I think it's this way with all E.S. though.

Good stay despite the frustration brought on by the crowds. Comfortable beds and pull-out. Air purifier in our room was nice. Great that the window opened so we could get some outside air.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Luckily I've stayed at this hotel a couple of times before, so I know that the other rooms are better. I booked the "non-suite" because it was the only room type available and it was the same price as the regular suite, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The room was tiny, very hard to move around in without bumping into each other (not what you think of for an Embassy Suites), the bathroom was HORRIBLE, the shower stall (yes, stall) was so small that my elbows hit the walls when washing my hair. The fixtures in the shower were rusty and an organizer was hung on the shower head so you would have someplace to put your soap and shampoo. The sink in the bathroom did not drain properly, so we had soapy water in there most of the time. I really did not even feel like I was staying at an Embassy Suites when I was in the room.

Now, for those of you considering this property I would still recommend it. It is in an excellent location within walking distance to shopping, eating and nightlife. It's easy to get to and from the interstate if you are driving into the city. They have a full, cooked to order breakfast every morning and a cocktail hour with light snacks from 5:30p-7:30p every night. There is a public parking ramp right next door and the rate is $38 per day (a pretty good deal in downtown Chicago). I would not recommend taking a large vehicle in this ramp as it is very close corners throughout the ramp, but especially on the exit -- there were even paint scratches on the side walls of the ramp, left behind from those large vechicles!

So, be sure not to book the "non-suite" room type and you should be ok.

Room Tip: Do not book the non-suite room type
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My two sons and I stayed at this hotel in late March for a "stay-cation" downtown, and the experience was mixed. In sum, I'd say the place was adequate but not so good I'd choose it again.

Pros:

- Big suite with plenty of room to hang out and privacy
- Comfortable beds
- Nice view from 8th floor
- Great location
- Free breakfast
- Great value - $119 a night to stay right in the heart of Chicago

Cons:

- It was spring break, and the place just couldn't handle the crowds. Two elevators of the four were out of service part of the time we were there, meaning elevator waits were sometimes 2 minutes or more (for an 11-story building). And once elevators arrived, they were packed, and stopped at nearly every floor. This becomes annoying.
- Pool was tiny and crowded. My kids and I saw how many children were in the pool and we felt no desire to go in. They either need to build a bigger pool or have some sort of method to keep it less busy. I realize it was spring break, so maybe another week might have been better. Hot tub was so small it had a sign saying it could only hold two people at a time. There were 7 or 8 in there when we were there, and it didn't look comfortable.
- Breakfast - lots of choices, which is nice, but again, the crowds overwhelmed. Long lines; hard to find tables.
- Staff - I never felt much friendliness. And when we wanted to buy a few small items from the sundry area in the lobby, the only choice for paying was to wait 10 minutes in line behind guests checking in.
- Room - with the sofa bed unfolded in the living room, access to the front door of the room was blocked.
- Many rooms (not ours because I asked ahead of time) face right into a parking garage. Make sure you request a room on the other side.

In short, this may be a fine hotel to stay at with kids during a less busy week, but it was not a wonderful experience when we were there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

When are hotels going to realize that we no longer are just looking for a place to lay our head at night? We are spending at least a third of our vacation in our hotel! We made these reservations 6 weeks ago, 2 families, rooms together, upper floor. When we arrived, the very un-friendly desk clerk was armed with excuses on why are needs could not be met. "You need to choose, which is more important to you, upper floor with a view or together? Long story short our rooms were 911 and 916, 9th floor with a fantastic view of the parking garage. Breakfast was good. Manager's reception, peanuts, crackers and hummus, carrots and celery. Dirty, hairy washcloth left hanging over shower from last guests, pretty disgusting. will not stay at this location again. C'mon Embassy your better than this!

Room Tip: You get what they give you.