“Big Disappointment!!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #89 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 8, 2013

When are hotels going to realize that we no longer are just looking for a place to lay our head at night? We are spending at least a third of our vacation in our hotel! We made these reservations 6 weeks ago, 2 families, rooms together, upper floor. When we arrived, the very un-friendly desk clerk was armed with excuses on why are needs could not be met. "You need to choose, which is more important to you, upper floor with a view or together? Long story short our rooms were 911 and 916, 9th floor with a fantastic view of the parking garage. Breakfast was good. Manager's reception, peanuts, crackers and hummus, carrots and celery. Dirty, hairy washcloth left hanging over shower from last guests, pretty disgusting. will not stay at this location again. C'mon Embassy your better than this!

Room Tip: You get what they give you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,538)

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights here during spring break. The hotel was very busy with families. The hot breakfast was definately a plus for our family, even though the lines could be long if you came later in the morning. We enjoyed the evening managers reception--the snacks were good and there were drink options for the kids too (lemonade, soda, ect). The pool was small but it was nice to have an indoor pool option. Parking was spendy-$49.00/day with no in/out privlages (I think some other hotels in the area charge less). The windows in our room faced out to Ohio St and there was a lot of traffic noise. The beds were on the small side but comfortable. Overall I think I would stay at this hotel again due to the great location, hot breakfast and managers reception. If you are traveling with adults only you may want to stay somewhere else that has less families staying there.

1  Thank Jen S
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We decided on this note for our spring break adventure to Chicago, what drew us to the hotel was that it is an all suite hotel, our room had a mini fridge, microwave, and small living room area, The room itself could use some updating, They have renovated the lobby which looks nice but time to start on the rooms, Every morning was a complimentary hot breakfast with a made to order omelet station, The breakfast area was VERY busy in the morning but the staff did a great job keeping everything stocked and tables cleared. Also every evening they had a complimentary happy hour with free alcoholic drinks and snacks which were great. The pool area was great for the kids. There was also a hot tub. The pool area was very busy with kids, but of course they loved it. Overall it was a good place to stay for the price. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I do wish the WiFi was free, you had to pay $10 per day per device you wanted internet for.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in April. The hotel lobby is nice but the rooms need updating - furniture starting to chip, the bathroom showing signs of age and wear - grout discolored and cracked, bottom of tub discolored, tub very narrow. I also found two long black hairs on the bedding (I am blonde and my hubby has very short hair, so I am confident it didn't come from us!) Hotel was very busy, lots of families with very young children running around. Long lines, breakfast was chaos, the noise level in the atrium was out of control, elevators running very slow & stopping @ every floor due to kids pressing every button. No free wi-fi, bottled water left out should be complimentary since they don't tell you they charge for it. The staff was friendly and it seemed like they tried, but it was hard to communicate due to limitations in the English language. Not a terrible experience, but enough aggravation that I will probably try another hotel the next time I come to Chicago.

Room Tip: Stay on an upper level floor if at all possible. I could still hear noise from the atrium in my 7th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I couldn't have been happier with Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown hotel. I took my family there for a weekend and booked a king bed 2 room suite since we have 3 boys and we all loved it! When we arrived we used the valet parking and didn't have to get our car back out until we left. We walked to dinner, Michigan Ave, and only took a cab once. Complimentary breakfast was by far the best breakfast I have had in a hotel and the cleanliness on the hotel is top notch. Will definitely stay here again!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed 2 nights on our hilton hhonors points, so all we had to pay for was parking. That being said, we will most likely use our points to stay somewhere else next time. The rooms looked outdated, well worn. The tub had a grey tinge to the bottom and was chipped, and also very narrow. I also though the appliances in room were very outdated, and not cleaned very well. Fridge never really got cold. Room was also a little dusty. Pool was disgusting. It is only 3 feet 6 inches deep, and I couldn't see the bottom from the edge. Could not even smell the chlorine. The service was pretty good. Very quick responses, helped us check out quickly. Got my extra towels all times but one. The hot breakfast actually impressed me. They do a nice job of serving breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a street view ... we faced a parking garage
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel was excellent for me because it was near to all the places where I wanted to go. The lobby of the hotel had been renovated and looked amazing. It was still not completed but it looked really nice and had an area for breakfast. They also gave out free treats and drinks in the evening. I can't say the same about the rooms though. The beds seemed smaller than usual, and the window wasn't soundproof at all. You could hear the cars passing on the street below so I had trouble sleeping at night because you can hear police sirens all night. You could even hear when the garbage truck passed early in the morning. Keep in mind that I was in the 10th floor. We had this small living room, and then two beds in the other part of the room. Service was very good, they were friendly when I checked in and I ordered extra pillows and they brought them to my room in 30 minutes.

• Stayed: March 2013