“Weekend getaway”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #83 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hotel Lobby & pool under construction. We were aware of it when we booked our room, but not a problem. Easy check in & check out. Good complimentary breakfast & nice manager's reception with frees drinks! Wifi was $10 per day per device. I would stay here again. Close to alot of attractions & good restaurant/stores. Parked at a garage at 21 W Ohio through Park Whiz. Parked the car from Thursday afternoon till Sunday night for $86. Walked &used taxis & uber.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,478)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

First the good points. The rooms are great and the location is fantastic. My company rate is to die for!

Now the bad points. The hotel is being renovated and I'm told will be going on until Easter. It looks like it will be good, but the noise was pretty loud on the Saturday morning I was there. The temporary breakfast area could not cope with the volume (but at least they put a note in the room to advise of the busy times). Everyone was very helpful, but in the end, things were slow due to the construction and the temporary reception area. If you are going to go before the renovation finishes, just allow some extra time.

I'll try this place again next time in Chicago - it could easily get another star at that time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2013

First, I am a Hilton Gold member so I stay at Hilton's whenever I can while traveling. First, I requested a no smoking room but the room I was placed in smelled like stale smoke. I later found out that they put me in a smoking room, which surprised me that they had smoking rooms at all. Second, there was some contraption in the bath tub (I am guessing for someone with a disability). I called and house keeping and they couldn't get it out. I then waited for an hour for maintenance to come up to no avail. When I called down to get service, they said the maintenance guy was doing something more important and wouldn't be up for another hour. I then demanded another room because it was already 11 pm. When I went to the front desk to switch rooms, they told me they didn't have another smoking room and tried to get me to stay in my current room, which I refused to do. I was also supposed to have free water in my room for being a gold member. So, I took a bottle of water from the room and was assured I would not be charged for it, but of course I was charged $4. Terrible, terrible experience and I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank mattjd74
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Very clean room! The Hotel itself is under some major construction inside the lobby and pool area. Other than that, it was a great experience. Very helpful and pleasant staff. Parking is included which is a big bonus in Chicago! It is located in the heart of the city. You can walk to just about anything from shopping, spa's and restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kim_c48346
Reviewed January 14, 2013

While this hotel is under a pretty huge renovation (main lobby area, pool and fitness center), the staff managed to make our stay a nice one. We needed two rooms as there were 7 of us girls enjoying a weekend together, so the front desk staff moved our reservation to 10th floor rooms with a connecting door (nice, thanks!). The rooms were recently renovated but dusty, understandable with the amount of tile work being done on the main level (just left a dusting reminder for housekeeping and it was taken care of). We liked the amount of space in the suites, along with the fridge in each room and sinks outside the bathroom.

Unfortunately we experienced a problem with getting room keys to work, and after going back 3 times to get this fixed, I was frustrated by a front desk person who refused to help without 'proper identification.' Prior front desk staff simply asked a series of questions to verify our room 'ownership' and helped us...no help from one person. We DID get room keys to work after proving our identity, but the extra hassle was a pain.

The lines were reasonably short for both the Manager's Reception and the Hosted Breakfast. We enjoyed the Manager's Reception bar staff as they remembered our drink preferences from one night to the next. Drinks were generous and flowing; snacks were tasty and plentiful.

Location is outstanding...only a couple blocks from Michigan Ave shopping and many good restaurants close-by. As long as you know that there is a bit of a mess (renovation) going on, no pool (but can use Hilton Garden pool across the street), a small fitness center and some noice/tiling mastic smell, it's a great hotel. We spent most of our time shopping and touring so this didn't bother us much. We really enjoyed our weekend!

Room Tip: Any room would be good at this hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2013

As a repeat customer of the Embassy Suites location, we were anxious to enjoy this hotel with my family who came downtown to see the Zoo Lights and downtown Christmas decorations. We also looked forward to enjoying the spacious atrium lobby and pool. Unfortunately, we were greeted by a hotel under renovation, with a closed lobby, pool, and 2 of the 4 elevators, out of service.

The experience was very disappointing, and frustrating given that there were too many guests, to be served by 2 elevators. Guests resorted to using a single stairway, which exited into the kitchen. At times, the stairway was not allowed to be used, which left guests waiting up to 20 minutes for an elevator.

This was a poorly managed situation, primarily to overbooking the hotel beyond the capacity the facilities could handle. Shame on Embassy Suites for letting their customers down.

Room Tip: Stay on lower floors, which will make it easier to use the stairs
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Dudeks
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Shortly after arriving, I realized why we had gotten such a great rate when we booked for the last weekend in December. There was major construction going on in the atrium. It was rather noisy and a little congested in the lobby area. HOWEVER, I felt terrible at all of the horrible reviews the hotel was given. Our room had updated decor and was very clean. The construction hours were only during the day and during the week. Now I will say it was noisy during the day, but it didn't matter since we were out and about. The main thing I would recommend is getting to breakfast early before the lines are long and the food has run out. Unless you or your children take naps during the day, I wouldn't rule this hotel out.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family