“DO NOT STAY HERE UNTIL CONSTRUCTION IS FINISHED!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #86 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“DO NOT STAY HERE UNTIL CONSTRUCTION IS FINISHED!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have stayed at this family friendly hotel for years on our annual Chicago trip. This year the place was a disaster! We waited for 18 minutes for an elevator to go up to your room! You couldn't even use the stairs to go down...we ended up in the kitchen. They say the pool is out and the lobby is under construction. What they should have said is the entire place is under construction except for the rooms, in which you get woken by jack hammers in the am. Shame, shame on Embassy. Oh and we made our reservations back in August, they didn't even send us an email of warning so we could have stayed at their other location in Chicago.
I feel bad for the nice people who work here, all the customers were crabby. The staff was nice and the only good thing about this place right now.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, if you have to get a room on the main floor so the jackhammers can wake you
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank flyntasticmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Korean first
Rural, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Our family has stayed here lots of times over the last 10 years, not to mention all of the recommendations we've given. Long enough to know the bellman, valet men, etc.
i called the hotel directly to make my reservations - no word of construction, no word of no pool, no word of half elevators or 1/3 eating space during holiday week - family filled hotel.
I wouldn't stay in my own house if this type of construction was taking place - the noise was incredible. I had relatives meet me there and expected R&R poolside.
The alternative pool down the block was over crowded beyond allowed guest and hot tub out of order.
Awful stay - dirt and dust was awful, and the construction started before breakfast was over.
Elevator waits were 30+ mins in morning and afternoon.
I'll be calling Revenue Manager.

7 Thank Ellen_mom_of_4
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I was aware that this hotel was under construction, but I was unaware of the inpolite front desk agents. I was not greeted upon arrival which is a bad thing since Hilton requires every guest to be greeted whether they are hhonors or not. I called to ask for the promotional WiFi code (since gold and diamond member get free WiFi) and was given an incorrect code. I just used my att username because I didn't want to speak to the rude girls at the front desk again. This is a great hotel, rooms are clean and its a great location. I believe that the construction shouldn't have to affect the hotel's reviews but friendliness of the staff is key to great reviews. Overall it was a good experience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

The suite was clean, quiet and comfortable. We were in town for a baseball game. This hotel is a short walk to the Metro stop, which is an easy way to travel uptown. We also took advantage of the free city shuttle down State St. to Navy Pier. We found a number of excellent restaurants within walking distance. A grocery store on the next block was convienent. The breakfast offered a large selection of choices along with made to order omelettes. The manager's reception in the evening included drinks and snacks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Worst hotel experience of my life. We were uninformed of MAJOR construction when making our reservation. Staff was unresponsive to our distress. Elevators not working. Line for breakfast was prohibitive. Dirty sock under our bed. Shower too dirty to use. Jackhammers started at 9:30. Absolutely insane!!!

4 Thank QE3
Arlington Heights, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Under major rennovation. That alone is understandle and I'm sure once completed the hotel will be beautiful. What is totaly unnacceptable is the fact that Embassy did not forewarn us. When I queried an employee he lied and said the only people not notified were those who booked through an outside source. When I told him I booked throught Embassy direct on their phone number he had nothing else to say. Expect 30 minute waits for the elevator and expect construction noise to begin at 630 am. (Another Embassy lie. We were told construction doesn't begin until 900 am.) We stay here three times a year as a way to get into the city with the kids. Never again! I can handle the fact they want to upgrade but not the fact they don't tell you about it and give advance notice. Did I mention the dust at breakfast? I don't look to complain for perks but it is riduculous they didn't offer people reduced rates for this. Hotel Intercontinental had the same rates and is much nicer than this. The General Manager can reply to these reviews all he wants and spin his apologies. Never again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank M B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites for three nights in November. Positives: Location, size of rooms, free hot breakfast; Negatives: Room noise.

The Embassy Suites Hotel is a solid choice in the River North/Magnificent Mile area. It’s a block away from the Grand station on the red line. That makes a big difference, if you’re coming in from O’Hare by train with luggage. The location is one of the strongest reasons to pick this hotel. It’s three blocks from Michigan Avenue, and three blocks from La Salle. Gino’s East is about a 7 minute walk. There is a small supermarket on the next block, where you can pick up snacks and supplies. Need a cup of coffee? There is a Starbuck’s attached to the lobby. It’s one of the few that serve alcohol in the evening.

The rooms are true suites, with a door that separates the bedroom from the living area. The room includes a safe, small refrigerator, and sink (in addition to the sink in the bathroom). There were flat screen TVs in both the bedroom and the living area. The sofa in the living room became a pull-out bed. The hotel offers a free hot breakfast each day. Weekends, particularly Saturday, are like a madhouse, with long lines at the buffet. The breakfast includes made-to-order omelets, eggs, pancakes and breakfast meats, as well as cereal, juice, and fruit.
I’ve been to other Embassy Suites with a similar design: the hotel has a large open interior that stretches from the ground floor to the roof. This causes noise to carry. I could easily hear the noise in the breakfast area in my room. Noise is a problem in this hotel. I found the room walls thin, to the point where I could follow the conversation of the guests next door. In addition, the plumbing can be loud, too. Whenever they flushed their toilet or used the shower, it made a racket in my room.

Aside from the noise, I thought the hotel was an excellent base for touring the city. You can easily catch a cab in the area around the hotel, and the subway station was close by. The hot breakfast was convenient. You could eat a quick meal while planning out your day.

Room Tip: Seek out higher floors and away from the elevators. Rooms on the north side of the hotel, away from...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family