“Terrific River North Location, but Watch for Room Noise”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #83 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites for three nights in November. Positives: Location, size of rooms, free hot breakfast; Negatives: Room noise.

The Embassy Suites Hotel is a solid choice in the River North/Magnificent Mile area. It’s a block away from the Grand station on the red line. That makes a big difference, if you’re coming in from O’Hare by train with luggage. The location is one of the strongest reasons to pick this hotel. It’s three blocks from Michigan Avenue, and three blocks from La Salle. Gino’s East is about a 7 minute walk. There is a small supermarket on the next block, where you can pick up snacks and supplies. Need a cup of coffee? There is a Starbuck’s attached to the lobby. It’s one of the few that serve alcohol in the evening.

The rooms are true suites, with a door that separates the bedroom from the living area. The room includes a safe, small refrigerator, and sink (in addition to the sink in the bathroom). There were flat screen TVs in both the bedroom and the living area. The sofa in the living room became a pull-out bed. The hotel offers a free hot breakfast each day. Weekends, particularly Saturday, are like a madhouse, with long lines at the buffet. The breakfast includes made-to-order omelets, eggs, pancakes and breakfast meats, as well as cereal, juice, and fruit.
I’ve been to other Embassy Suites with a similar design: the hotel has a large open interior that stretches from the ground floor to the roof. This causes noise to carry. I could easily hear the noise in the breakfast area in my room. Noise is a problem in this hotel. I found the room walls thin, to the point where I could follow the conversation of the guests next door. In addition, the plumbing can be loud, too. Whenever they flushed their toilet or used the shower, it made a racket in my room.

Aside from the noise, I thought the hotel was an excellent base for touring the city. You can easily catch a cab in the area around the hotel, and the subway station was close by. The hot breakfast was convenient. You could eat a quick meal while planning out your day.

Room Tip: Seek out higher floors and away from the elevators. Rooms on the north side of the hotel, away from...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WashDCRoad_Warrior
Write a ReviewReviews (2,478)

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The weekend before Christmas saw this Embassy Suites in the middle of an Arab-American convention, as well as families visiting, presumably for the holidays. The hotel appeared just about full, and there had to be about 3,000 people that needed accomodation when we checked in. Yet, despite being very busy, the hotel staff could not have been nicer or more accomodating. They always smiled and were calm. Because of the chaos, it would have been easy to just fall apart. Accommodations were standard--by that I mean very good--Embassy Suites. Manager's Reception was fun, and though we came in a little late, we were still able to get some good snacks and fresh vegetables. Make-Your-Own-Omelettes required a 45-minute-1 hour wait for breakfast on Sunday, We opted for the hot buffet line instead, which had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and pancakes and other goodies. Watermelon-flavored water was a treat. Somehow, they kept the hot trays filled despite the amazing number of people. There was no need to eat again until nearly 9 pm! Checkout was efficient, and they were gracious and accomodating when I needed an extra 30 minutes to check out. I would definitely recommend this hotel for families, groups...everyone!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Our room was very clean and updated. Loved the great numbers of outlets. Although the lobby was under construction, our stay was very nice. The front desk was very helpful and pleasant to deal with. They graciously put our two rooms on the same floor. They did everything to make sure our stay was a memorable one. The happy hour and breakfast was great. The omelet cook knew how to work the crowd. The location of this hotel is fabulous. We walked to State Street to see the Christmas lights and to the Magnificent Mile as well. Can't wait to come back next year and see all the renovations.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Not a bad price, not a bad room (2 room suite with 3 kids and 2 adults), and great location. Service was terrible! Took us forever to check in, 2 of the 4 elevators were in construction zone so they were out of service, view was of a parking garage, and $50 to valet for the night. Wait until it's not under construction to try!!!!

Room Tip: Not a tall building, so west side of building looks into a parking garage - no view at all!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We received a 34 year anniversary gift of a night in this hotel. My daughters bought it through priceline, There was no mention of construction. We were shocked the minute we walked in. The noise was so loud I could hardly hear the front desk person. We had no option of leaving and had to stay. I then got on tripadvisor and read all the comments. I can't believe how long this has been going on and what people had gone through. This has spoiled our anniversary as I see many others has had their trips ruined. The management is obviously so greedy they can't let their customers know ahead of time and compensate those who have gone through this horrible stay here. As with any construction there is a time plan. ?? Did anyone bother? Maybe close the hotel for a couple days and get the drilling done? The drilling noise is so loud in our room on the 9th floor we can't hear the tv in the living room area. I plan on writing the corporate office. I hope they believe in customer satisfaction. Also the omelets were overcooked and the food sitting in the containers were cold. Not to mention the dust flying around from the construction by open containers of food would seem to me a health department issue! And plan on a long wait at the elevators for there are only 2 for 11 floors. So frustrating. No pool either. Absolutely don't stay here until the construction is done.

Room Tip: Get a corner room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CjR1958
Reviewed December 27, 2012

As a single mother fro Michigan, I was looking forward to treating my kids and splurging on a holiday in the city. I know that the website indicated renovations to the pool and spa, but I was fine with that. However, had I known abt the extent of the noise and disruption I never would have stayed here. Deafening noise, crowded elevators, and a cold, tiny lobby packed with disgruntled guests made for a ruined experience. Breakfast here is out of the question. We just want to leave. When I spoke to the front desk this morning, the staff person was courteous, but used the renovation disclaimer on the website to put the ownership for this back on me.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank MichiganMomForTwo
Reviewed December 26, 2012

If I could rate a zero, I would. Lifelong patron of Embassy Suites. This hotel failed to warn at reservation that the hotel is under major construction. The esthetics were awful: broken cement, cement mix bags, yellow "crime tape" strewn everywhere. Less than 1/2 of the elevators working, pool closed and under construction, dust-covered and smelly rooms, NO USABLE STAIRWELLS FOR THE HOTEL GUESTS... A VIOLATION OF CHICAGO CITY AND FIRE DEPT FIRE CODES. In 20 loyal years of staying at Embassy Suites... this experience causes me to never book an Embassy Suites hotel again. There was no warning when booking this reservation and it was non-refundable. I would not be so harsh, but because it was a major metro hotel and it had corporate's blessing, I am sure our relationship with this hotel chain is over.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family