“Weekend visit to Chicago”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #80 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This was a great hotel for a weekend getaway. They have a full breakfast and an afternoon happy hour that is included in the price of your stay. The happy hour is a limited on the selection of cheap booze, but no one seemed to mind. And, the breakfast line for omlettes takes forever. But, there is a Starbucks on the corner of the hotel. The hotel area itself is very spacious and the interior of the rooms also have a great amount of room. Everyone has a living room with kitchenette and then a bedroom. It was clean and comfortable. This is also a great location if you want to be close to all the nightlife and tourist areas. Great stay and pleasant staff.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

POSITIVES.
1. Rooms are really nice, really clean and really comfy....and really spacious.
2. Location is great.
3.complimentary breakfast and managers reception in the evening...great!
4. Workout equipment is state of the art.

NEGATIVES.
The SERVICE was the worst i've ever experienced.

after standing in line for about 25 minutes for breakfast, I finally sat down to eat, i opened my yogurt and realised i forgot a spoon.... got up to get a spoon,...about 30 seconds later, my tray and all food i had lined up for was gone. When i mentioned it to the manager in the breakfast area, his response was "we are very busy and have to keep the tables clear"....NO APOLOGY! i was very disappointed that thats the response i get from a hotel of this calibre. i wasnt expecting anything grand, a simple apology and a word with the bussers would have been sufficient.

Being a 2 room suite, there were 2 TV's, but only one remote...not a big deal........when we called for the remote, the phone rang about 40 times; it then took about another 30 minutes to get a remote.

room was also missing an ironing board.

when i called for a room service menu, the front desk transfered me to the restaurant, who transfered me back to the front desk, who placed me on hold for 5 minutes. I eventually went down to pick one up.

The wifi did not work for my entire stay, the front desk response was "it should work" i asked if they had a support line they could connect me with.....the support centre said there was a problem with the hotel's wireless router....I understood, things happen....I mentioned it to desk staff after......" FYI, the wifi is down"...they didnt seem to really care!

The general demeanour of the hotel staff was not very friendly!!! - no one really smiled.

OVERALL, I would stay again because it was a good rate, great location and rooms are nice. BUT given the option of another hotel in the same area at a comprable rate, i will stay elsewhere. SERVICE MATTERS!!!!!!

2  Thank traveller t
ESChicagoDowntown, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Dear Traveller T,

Thank you for your kind words regarding our recently renovated guest suites. We are very proud of our suites and the positive comments that we regularly receive. However, I'm disappointed that we did not provide you with the typical level of service that we pride ourselves on. I completely agree with your closing comment: Service Matters! Please give us another chance to demonstrate our committment to providing a service level that compliments our outstanding guest suites and unbeatable location.

Ed Buckley

Reviewed August 22, 2011

The rooms are large and nicely decorated. The staff was friendly and the location was perfect. It is walking distance to shopping, restaurants and it is a couple of blocks from of subway.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Great room, great pool, great breakfast = great stay! Love staying at this hotel. The rooms are great, the pool is wonderful for the kids and you just can't beat the breakfast buffet. We love the fact that it is walking distance to all of the great stores and Chicago landmarks. Had a great time and we will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I have stayed at this Embassy Suites on several different occasions. It was, however, my wife's first trip to Chicago. I was there for a three day conference, and she decided this time to tag along. The problem with that scenario is that she would be left to her own devices during the day.

The hotel gets four stars from us for a few different reasons. The first is relative convenience. We flew in to Midway via Southwest, and opted to take the train in to the city. We had one changeover, and then the train dropped us about a block from the hotel. It cost us $5 instead of $40 if we had taken a cab.

Secondly, the location. As I said my wife had never been to Chicago and was on her own during the day. This hotel is conveniently located to all the major shopping, there are a ton of good restaurants nearby, and you are a short walk to the train, and a free trolley to Navy Pier.

Third, the rooms. Embassy Suites are nice because they are suites. The rooms are nice and spacious...and always clean.

Fourth, breakfast. It is included in the price of the room and it is a great deal...especially if you are traveling with kids (which we weren't). It is a full breakfast, not just coffee, juice, and some danish that have just been removed from the wrapper. Bacon, sausage, eggs (scrambled or cooked to order omelets), home fries, french toast, pancakes, fruit. You easily save a bunch of money by eating a good breakfast here.

I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2011

All Embassy Suites are pretty much the same... kid friendly, sweeping atrium, great free breakfast and so-so well drinks during the Manager's Reception (but hey, they're free so I'm not complaining). There is always something of a facade to it all; I think the construction and infrastructure are pretty cheap bordering on shoddy. We like the big rooms, but so do a lot of big families so it's really not the place for a romantic weekend. The rooms are drab and somewhat biege, showing a little wear probably due to all the kids. The staff was very friendly and quick to respond to some minor problems with the room. Would I stay here again? Probably, but there are a ton of other options nearby to check out. Best reasons for staying here: big double rooms, free breakfast, location, HH points.

Room Tip: If you want a view you'll have to pay up.
Reviewed August 18, 2011

This location is amazing! I actually like it better than being on Michigan Avenue (and I've stayed at the Conrad). Its close to Michigan Ave- so easy walking distance, but the I like the restaurants and bars right around there, like Rainforest Cafe is fun for everyone of all ages. But I especially love Quartino's. (If you're in Chicago and dont go there, you are sincerely missing out - AND ITS RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE EMBASSY DOWNTOWN!) I was planning on going back to that restaurant anyway, because I loved it so much on a previous trip, and was quite pleasantly surprised by it being next to the hotel I was staying at.

The suite is great- nice to have so much space in a downtown hotel, as well as a centralized atrium (many Chicago hotels have reaaaally long hallways since they just knocked down walls between 2 older buildings). Obviously Embassy atriums can have a bit of a noise issue, but I didnt have any when I was at this hotel, and I was near the elevator. Its nice having the bedroom further back so you dont hear anything!

What can I say - Embassy's have amazing features - free breakfast, spacious suites, a lovely view when you walk out of your room, and a great view at lower levels while having a free cocktail in the lobby. Ahhhh I love Embassy Suites hotel :)

The only downside was after hoofing it around Chicago for hours, I was really looking forward to having a nice soak in the hottub but there were a million kids in the pool playing nerf football (I think one NEARLY hit my head). Not the fault of the hotel, at all, it appeared to be a youth sports team or something....it happens! It was a nice pool and hot tub area, anyway. You have a view of it from the lobby, but it still feels a little tucked back so its not so creepy to feel like people are watching you :-p
Ah well. I went back up to the privacy of my room and just took a nice bath :)

When I go back to to Chicago, I'll be back for sure!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple