4 people are viewing this hotel
FindHotel$111
Trip.com$111
Agoda.com$115
3,417 results
All reviews grant park buckingham fountain a lake view room an older hotel art institute lake michigan field museum the bean few blocks the magnificent mile lakeview aquarium doorman
Selected filters
Reviewed May 28, 2019

Avg hotel. It is located right across the famous fountain so the location is excellent. You can hear the late night subway in our room at all hours of the night. Hotel would NOT deliver packages to the rooms.

Room tip: Ask for a room that you cannot hear the subway go by every 10 minutes.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
congressplazahotel, Public Relations Manager at The Congress Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences encountered during your stay at The Congress Plaza Hotel. Unfortunately, we do not deliver packages to the rooms for security purposes. We look forward to the opportunity to host you for a future stay!

Reviewed May 27, 2019 via mobile

My stay here last week did not start very promisingly—the computerized check-in took forever. The front desk staff, very friendly, apologized repeatedly for the slowness of the system. Once I finally did get checked in the stay was fine. Hallways and rooms show their age in both good and bad ways—some lovely old-fashioned tiling in the bathroom, for example, but also a noticeable amount of worn carpet and peeling paint in public areas. The single room I had was comfortable, clean and mostly quiet, though. The lobby is one of the hotel’s best features, still retaining a lot of its glitter. The claustrophobic third-floor fitness center and ordinary ground-floor restaurant are definitely not in the same class. The staff is very friendly and the location can’t be beat.

Trip type: Traveled solo

Thank you for choosing The Congress Plaza Hotel, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to hosting you for a future stay!

Reviewed May 25, 2019

I stayed at The Congress Plaza Hotel, my first visit to Chicago. This is an old hotel, OK condition, good size rooms & outstanding location. I encountered an extremely scary incident at the hotel.

I was retiring late in my room when I heard some noise at my door. As I got up from my bed I see a lady walk in opening the door of my room with a key! Both of us screamed. It was fortunate that we had the presence of mind not to attack or retaliate. Apparently she had just checked in & allotted this room!!

I called the duty manager & she mentioned that there was some system error. Also added this has been an issue for some time. I was shocked to hear such callousness on an important security issue. Of course I had an extremely disturbed night staring at the door. I felt very unsafe in Downtown Chicago hotel!!!

The next morning I again met the morning duty manager who had no clue about this incident. I wrote to the GM Shakeel Siddiqui who acknowledged & apologized for the same. Apparently their key system was down & Agent made a manual key for guest & in error checked the guest in the same room as mine. They offered to provide "adequate compensation" for the night. Of course it didn't matter to them that my entire next day was wasted.

Someone should audit the processes in these hotels so that travelers are not put to such inconveniences after all they are charging top dollars but can't provide basic security assurances.

3  Thank Prateek P
Reviewed May 23, 2019

Once you leave the first floor of this facility you will feel as though you entered into a bad haunted house or theme park horror ride. The place is decaying around the guests. Our first assigned room was on the 12th floor of the South Tower. The hall was shadowy, the doors on most rooms were a mishmash of different styles with various obvious damage. The "lock" on the room was a deadbolt with only one half of the lock in place, severe damage and a door handle that was about to come off in one's hand. The entry light was a flickering flourescent that would not stop buzzing. The bathroom was tiny and you had to step up to get into it. The windows were dinky and placed oddly on the walls. We were moved to the North Tower which is in slightly better rough repair but everywhere there is gouging of wood, badly painted trim and sleazy carpeting. And there was no heat. Apparently the management decided the cool weather was over and the central air unit in each room could only blow outside air in. They did send up a small "space heater" which quit working 3 minutes after it started. The "furniture" is a poor version of IKEA products. The beds and sheeting were actually better than anything else This said, there is a feeling of old times about the place and the public places are interesting and most of the staff is grumblingly helpful. When cleaning the staff did not replace the towels and we had to call them. The towels are adequate at best.

2  Thank RHSSantaBarbara_CA

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are extremely sorry that you dealt with so many frustrating and unacceptable issues during your recent visit with us. As you can tell by most of our reviews, these issues are not common to the hotel and we are both surprised and disappointed by the lack of service you experienced. Rest assure your comments will be directed to Hotel Management.

Reviewed May 21, 2019

I was in the Buckingham Wing which should be renamed the scary, tired and dirty wing. I am not exaggerating. The room numbers on the doors are actually made from a label maker where you peel off the back and stick them on what you are labeling. The room was decorated poorly and there was a strong chemical smell which I later found to be a cleaning solution that housekeeping had put in the toilet and closed the lid and left there. The noise all night was horrendous, there was a train going by all night, traffic, sirens and drunk people yelling on the street into the wee hours of the morning followed by garbage trucks in the early AM. The next morning I went to take a shower and the bottom of the tub was super slippery, I almost fell. I had to lay a towel in the tub so I would not slip. When I went to dry off, the bath towel had two long hairs on it. Gross! I also found that I was sharing my room with some kind of insect that was up near the roof. It kept making a buzzing sound. I had breakfast and room service during my stay and the food quality was poor. When I went to speak to the manager to let her know the issues with the room, a nice gentleman in the lobby asked if there was something he could help with and I said my room is terrible and he said, "Yeah, we get that a lot." I am beyond disappointed.

Room tip: Run far, far away
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank WorldTraveler95
congressplazahotel, Public Relations Manager at The Congress Plaza Hotel & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are extremely sorry that you dealt with so many frustrating and unacceptable issues during your recent visit with us. As you can tell by most of our reviews, these issues are not common to the hotel and we are both surprised and disappointed by the lack of service you experienced. Rest assure you feedback will be shown to the correct departments. We sincerely appreciate you bringing this to our attention.