“dirty & did not feel safe”

The Congress Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #153 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Traveling for business, this was a last resort as everything else was booked. I did not feel safe, heading to my room, poorly lit, the door barely locked with an ancient deadbolt. Make sure you request a no-smoking room. My room smelled awful. So did I when I left. I could hear a man in the room next to me..... and I think I could have seen him if I peered thru the gap in the "adjoining" room door. There was a mark from an iron burnt into the carpet (do not go barefoot). Stains on the bedding. Plastic curtains that would not close to block out light (luckily I had a bobby-pin). DO NOT STAY HERE. I wish I would have left. A co-worker compared it to a Steven King novel. That spooky!

Room Tip: Request non smoking. Bring slippers and your own shampoo!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank annomatopia
Write a ReviewReviews (2,847)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

At arrival we were given a very dirty and run down room on the 5th floor when I asked, at booking, for a higher floor. We were told the hotel was full. When I complained and said we would live the day after, they proposed a room on the 12th floor: better but noisy as looking down on the Chicago subway line. Very poor service at the reception and baggage handlers. Very poor for such a high price.

1  Thank mtagliaferri
Reviewed September 25, 2013

First time stay and the last @ The Congress. Hubby and I for a seven day stay. Great location for most the attractions and parks. Everything the other reviews say are true: lousy service except for the rare employee or the ones expecting a tip. Had to ask for clean wash clothes/towels and house keeping to clean the room several times. The bathroom sink was clogged on arrival, poor lighting in the rooms, poor view, toilet didn't work well and it was not clean. The wall around the head board of the bed look like dark blood splattered on the wall. Not what I would expect for 170$/night and valet parking was a joke, we had the car parked and never moved it for 7 days, we were told $82for all, but they charged $40 per day. Then we were home for over a week a charge for $176 was applied. They said it was an over charge for parking and will refund, but Im still having a problem getting it back.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is a large hotel, bang on South Michigan Avenue. While this is a slightly dated hotel and hence reasonably priced. If you are a tourist and see the sights and sounds of Chicago at a reasonable price, this is the place to go. Reasonably good rooms, good bathrooms and options of Lake Michigan views as well. Also, close to CTA Metro as well as the Metra. Recommended.

Room Tip: Book in advance for good pricing
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We are two couples who spent 3 nights at the Congress Hotel last weekend and we are very disappointed with how poorly maintained this hotel is, given its room rate and historic reputation. Although the lobby and public areas are well kept and Classic, from the time you get on the elevator until you get to your room, you'll find torn wallpaper, dingy carpets and an general lack of upkeep. The furniture in our rooms appeared to be from a garage sale with chipped paint and sticking drawers with lamps that hardly work. My room looked like a not-so handyman refurbished it with mix of painted and unpaintd baseboards, cracked floor tiles and toilet bowl. Overall, it looked like something out of the Soviet Bloc.

Although the location can't be beat I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone I cared about.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank whisperwd
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was not expecting much from this hotel since we got a "good deal" but I was counting on a clean room, a toilet that worked and a professional staff. Unfortunately, I did not experience any of those during my 3 night stay. ROOM: The wall on the side of our night stand was filthy. The nightstand on the other side of the bed hadn't been wiped off and had some powdery residue all over it. The toilet stopped working after one use. (We called the front desk and they did send a repair man who fixed it BUT he dripped the toilet water all over the floor on his way out). There were also no towels in the room upon our arrival. The most disappointing part of our stay was how the front desk handled a refund situation. I put $3 in the soda machine on the 11th floor. The machine was apparently broken because I did not receive a soda or a refund. I called the front desk and they said to come to the front desk for a refund. Since it was so late I decided to ask for my refund the next day. The not so friendly woman behind the front desk told me that a security guard would have to escort me back to the 11th floor to the soda machine to try and retrieve my soda. If at that time I still could not get a soda they would issue me a refund. Really??? Please don't waste your money staying here.

Room Tip: I don't believe this hotel has any.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank prudy72
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Chose hotel because of location to race start/finish. Decor outdated, rooms small, water got cool at best - that would be an issue in the winter. Room was clean, bathroom updated, king size bed very comfortable. We had no troubles getting clean towels. The carpet was no dirtier than other hotels. Our view was terrible! But...we only needed a place to sleep and we did that quite well. If you're looking for fancy, or celebrating something special then I would suggest another hotel. If you're just looking for a place to sleep in a great location then you'll be satisfied.