The Congress Plaza Hotel and Convention Center
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$317
$164
$181
$162
  • Room Service
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$233
$194
$141
  • Room Service
2,914 results
All reviewsgrant parkbuckingham fountaingold rooma lake view rooman older hotelart institutelake michigansoldier fieldshedd aquariumthe beannavy pierking roomfew blocksthe magnificent milelakeview
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the Congress Plaza Hotel. My friends and I spent 4 nights there in February of 2013, and we had a wonderful experience. Yes, the hotel is old and showing it's age, but it is very clean and the staff is wonderful. When we first arrived in our room (2 double beds, no view), we discovered that our hot water wasn't working. We called the front desk to see if someone could come up and fix the hot water, but instead of making us wait, they just moved us to a bigger, better room at no extra charge! We ended up with a lake view room that was twice the size of our previous room. It was beautiful and well maintained. Beds were very comfortable, and the pillows were fluffy. The only complaint we had was that you could hear every noise from the hallway to the street.

Our housekeeper went above and beyond cleaning our room, and she was very helpful in getting us extra coffee and creamer when we requested it. Although this hotel is said to be haunted, we didn't experience anything out of the ordinary during our stay. The "stairway" signs were kind of creepy, and the long carpeted hallways begged to re-create the scene from "The Shining," but overall, these little things gave the hotel a lot of character that the newer hotels lack. I would definitely stay at Congress Plaza Hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beth T
Reviewed March 7, 2013

It is very difficult to be too negative about this place. Sure the rooms are somewhat run down & shabby but the setting, views & people are all fab. I heard that the place has been the subject of the world's longest running labor dispute (13 years) As a result the City won't let the owners make the investment required to refurbish the place. Whether that's true or not I don't know. But my room was ideally located to look out over Grant Park to the Lake beyond. The people are so friendly & helpful. So if you're looking for a comfortable central place to crash out this is fine. Otherwise there are plenty of decent alternatives

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Facility was clean. I loved the high ceilings in the rooms and the extra tall doors. Very vintage. Staff was friendly and helpful. It does show it's age but that adds to its appeal. The room was very warm, we even had to open the window even though the temp was in the 20s. I would recommend to those not looking for a 5 star hotel. One thing that bugs me about Hotels in big cities is the internet charge. $10 a day per device. Really? You will have to pay extra if you want a room with a lake view.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in a Lakeview room this past weekend, and it was perfectly acceptable for us. There was a beautiful view, but they could definitely use some better curtains because the light was entirely blinding in the morning, even with the curtains drawn shut. The room was too warm--we ended up having to open the windows. Definitely outdated, but not gross by any means. However, despite these few negative things about the room, the bed was absolutely awesome. Strangely enough, it was probably one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept on, which for the price I paid was something I was not expecting. Worth the price considering the location and view we had. I would stay here again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Get the lakeview room!
4  Thank 20sketch12
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel. It is a worn out,old hotel. The hotel was so empty this time of year that it felt like a horror movie. We were provided a room on the back side of the hotel, so we had the wonderful opportunity to listen to the trains. With an empty hotel, you would think they would provide their guest with a lake view and impress us for futhre stays. As we entered the room it was so hot, we had to open the window (it was in the 20s outside), and as I approached the window I was greeted by a Roach, now I know they are difficult to get rid of, but it didn't make for a great start for my stay. I did not make any complaints, cause when I did call the front desk, no one answered. I sat on the bed and the mattress fell to the floor, I had to put the bedslats back up. I love this location, but I think I will learn to love another for my next visit.