“BED BUGS!”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I went to sleep and woke up with bites ALL OVER MY LEGS IN LINES OF THREE! Although I didn't see a bug, the bottom of the box spring was ripped open - which suggests that they spray for bugs! When I called the hotel, they reacted fast and changed my room. They said they would "lock-down" the room and have an independent third-party confirm whether there were any bugs. Although they told me that this thrid-party did not find any bugs, they also refused to show me the report generated by this third-party (which would have showed the type of tests they ran, etc.)!

Later that day, I asked the hotel to bring a flash light to my new room so I could thoroughly check my new bed. The first staff member that arrived was not accompanied by a member of management and I told him what had happened to me and he was VERY SYMPATHETIC and said IT WAS NOT THE FIRST TIME. He gave me the flash light, let me check out the bed myself and then left after I was finished. About 10 minutes later, I got another knock on the door - this time with a member of management with another staff member with a flash light. This time they conducted the search (which was not as extensive as mine) and kept putting doubts in my head like it could not have happened!

Don't stay here unless you want to be some creepy crawler's meal! Hotel management will not admit to the problem!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
10  Thank creeped_Out_10
Write a ReviewReviews (2,796)

Reviewed August 7, 2010

This hotel is nicely located but so are many others along Michigan Avenue. Most disappointing for us was the lack of microwave and refrigerator. Our room was very small, barely room for the two queens and the bathroom was miniature. For the price, it is not a value. The staff was very gracious, especially the concierge and maid service. Room was clean, wall to wall windows afforded a beautiful view at night. Siren noise frequent. This hotel is geared to conference and business travelers, not families. Good restaurants are in the neighborhood. Our stay at the Hyatt last year was much much better. Disappointed to pay $16 a day for in-room high speed internet. Felt nickel and dimed for every add on. Free wi-fi hotspot in hotel lobby hard to connect and slow and blocked my e-mail service.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel on Michigan Ave. So central to everything. The room was wonderful, quite large and Marriott bedding is always so comfy. The bathroom was a little small. The lobby is large and lively and has a full serve Starbucks! Great service everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. We were on a combination business and pleasure trip and it fit our needs perfectly.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Stayed here for a week for a business meeting. The event staff is exceptional. The rooms are average and halls dark. Very busy property--lobby is always bustling. Concierge lounge just OK. Breakfast consisted of eggs or oatmeal--typically they have bacon or sausage and switch it up--here it was the same everyday. Also, they didn't have sodas as they normally do--just fountain sodas that the staff had to get for you. It's a great location though--right on Michigan Avenue--walk out and you're in the middle of everything. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We have never seen a bathroom this small in a hotel.
It is a busy hotel with lots of people in the lobby.Location is very good and there are many restaurants and shopping within walking distance.
As other reviewers have mentioned, you can hear loud sirens during the night.
The good thing is that you hardly hear your neighbors and also you do not hear loud door slammings as in alot of hotels.
We have also stayed at the Intercontinental which is located on the opposite side of the street.We will stay at the Intercontinental next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2010

The hotel lobby was filled with people and it was a bit overwhelming at first. I found it difficult to find the place to check in but an employee of the hotel saw my confusion and directed me to the registration desk. I checked in a bit earlier than the normal check in time but they did find a room for me so I would not have to wait. After getting up to the 34th floor, I found that the room was in the process of being cleaned. I used the phone near the elevator to contact the front desk to let them know the situation. They apologized and sent someone up with a new set of keys to a new room. The new room had a spectacular view of Lake Michigan. It was a bit loud because of the sirens from emergency vehicles that seemed to come by every 30 minutes or so. Everyone was kind and accommodating. I was out one evening and came back to find a member of the hospitality staff turning down my bed and asking if I needed an additional towels or other supplies. The location is perfect and is close to everything. We never had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator. This will be my hotel whenever I stay in Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We spent 2 nights at the Marriott Downtown. The hotel is quite good. A bit aged and in need of a facelift, but it was clean and comfortable. The hot tub was broken and pool is quite small, good for kids, not adults. We had to swtich rooms as the thermostat was not working right in our room, but the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. Common areas of the hotel were nice. Perfect for a place to sleep in the heart of the action. And that is the main thing. The location is awesome. Right on the mile, Rush & Michigan. Central so you can walk to all of the shopping, to the pier/lakeshore, restos, bars, etc. Fantastic. If you are looking for a decent price, decent (but a bit aged) hotel and fantastic location, this is it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple