“Loved it!”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #107 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Great location, clean rooms, and an outstanding staff! We had catered meals for our business lunches, and it was delicious- could not have asked for better service from the staff the entire stay. Breakfast was expensive, but Starbucks offers a more affordable option.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kimberly3810
There are newer reviews for Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We recently had an event here and it was great. The employees at the hotel are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are your basic hotel rooms, nothing impressive. The food at the restaurant is terrific. Overall had a wonderful experience, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are the best.
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I live in the Chicago area, so I stayed at this hotel because I was attending a major conference in my field.

The staff members--from the desk clerks to the servers in the restaurant, just everyone--are absolutely terrific and guest-centered. The property itself is a bit tired. For instance, while our room was clean (and the housekeeping folks are great, too), the furniture was damaged and rough and there weren't enough outlets that were easy enough to access (or that were functional).

The food at the coffee shop in the hotel was quite good--and again, the staff members are great. The location, of course, can't be beat.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Carmella G, Senior Executive Assistant at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at the Chicgao Marriott Downotwn. Your kind accolades were appreicated regardinng our pime location and how focused our Hosts were in extending outstanding customer service and hospitality to you. We were delighted as well to learn your restaurant experience was enjoyed. Our primary goal is to ensure we consistently provide our guests with a stellar experience. Your feedback regarding the furniture and additional outlets will be shared for further consideration. We look forward to welcoming you back again and the opportunity to "Host You Brilliantly".

Reviewed February 13, 2014

If in Chicago then be sure to stay at this venue! Staff excellent although expect to tip heavily. Room service faultless. Very busy which adds to the atmisphere, location good, plenty of taxis from the doir.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - you won't be dissapointed
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed during a weekend where the hotel was hosting a gymnastics meet, so they were very busy.

When we checked in, the clerk advised that our room was close to the elevators, so there might be noise. We changed rooms, but in hindsight, we shouldn't have.

The room we ended up with (2 doubles) was...cozy. While there wasn't any elevator noise, we heard lots of sirens all night long. We had family who stayed in the room near the elevator, and that room was considerably larger. There was some elevator noise, but not as much as we would have thought. Much less siren noise too.

The hotel bar is great. The drinks are priced like hotel bar drinks typically are, and they do make their own beer. The staff was generally helpful and attentive.

The hotel restaurant was pretty decent also. We had breakfast and ordered a room service burger. Room service was a little overpriced.

The lobby and the bell staff were absolutely fantastic. Attentive, friendly, helpful even during a very busy weekend. They made our visit!

Hotel is located in walking distance of a lot of things. I felt totally safe walking around going shopping and to nearby places.

In closing, we had a great visit and would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room behind the elevator shaft; they're larger.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I was here for a business convention. Awesome location, overall very clean, however when I first arrived there was a used wash cloth left in the shower. The only other negative was I put the do not disturb sign out to get a little extra shut eye, no one came in but they called my room and woke me up to see if they could come in and clean. Isn't that the point of do not disturb.... Anyway great view, tasty food although a bit pricey, staff very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I was required to stay at this property for my companies yearly week long meeting. Before arriving I did not have one opinion either way of what to expect but thought it would be nice because of the location. The lobby was average and the room was ok. Nice view of a dirty roof top. NOT!!! The room was clean but the daily cleaning service did not ever seem complete. Seemed like the housekeeper was interrupted and left before finishing the room. All the employees were extremely nice and helpful during my stay. Always saying hello and nice. But there were a few things that really scared me. I arrived on Tuesday at noon and within an hour a pregnant coworker was robbed at gunpoint coming around the corner from the hotel where the taxi driver said that he had to drop her off. The was within 50 feet of the hotel. During my stay as I am a smoker would go outside to smoke, staying as close as I could to the building and were the valet was let's see there were homeless people coming up to me and my group asking for money, wanting to be paid to sing to us, offering free shoeshines and offering to sell us drugs. This occurred every time I went outside. When the employees of the hotel they would chase them off but still scary. After my work events I went to the bathroom and was offered to buy drugs, needless to say I did not use the public restroom after that. I was approached at the lobby bar to buy drugs there, needless to say I did not go to the lobby bar after that. My coworkers that are a bit more adventurous to use the public bathroom and drink at the bar were approached over and over and over again. I went to the front desk to report my experience, they took a description of the people and said that they would look for them. Not sure if they ever found them but I was not taking the chance to run into anyone again. I am not sure what I am going to do if my company wants to hold next years event there.

1  Thank 87LisaC87
Carmella G, Sr. Executive Assistant at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Thank you for your follow up feedback regarding your recent experience while in Chicago staying at the Chicago Marriott Downtown. It was unfortunate to learn of your colleagues experience with a city taxi cab. Our Loss Prevention Director and Team pride themselves in keeing this hotel and area surronding a safe enviorment for all. We appreicated your detailed feedback and can assure you your comments were shared with our Diretcor of Loss Prevention as he and his team will remian diligent in ensuring guests safety is first and foremost.