“Weekend to Chicago”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #110 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. Stayed the same place last year. What a difference a year makes. The hotel lobby and bar are awesome but are misleading as the rooms are a letdown after you've seen the main lobby and have high expectations. The rooms are in need of refreshing and updating. Not in a major way but they just look and feel tired. The washroom is also not accomodating for two people at the same time. It didn't feel this way a year ago. Despite that it's a great location and the staff are absolutely outstanding. So go but don't expect the 5 star you are paying for.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,780)

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just returned from a 4 night stay at this Marriott. The best thing about this hotel is the LOCATION!!! Great proximity to shopping and dining locations...two doors away from The Shops at North Bridge (Nordstroms). Short walking distance to Grand Lux Cafe, Shaw's Crab House and many others.The lobby at this hotel is great. We hung out there on Sunday afternoon, watching football games on their wall of 6 TVs. The Concierge Lounge was another plus...a very nice-sized room with great breakfast selections. Our room was clean, but small, especially the bathroom was very small for the price of room. However, we were not in Chicago to hang out in our room. We were in town for shopping, dining (and Notre Dame football)...for this, the location was ideal! We would probably stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We selected this place to meet a friend as a surprise for his 50th. Its a great place and the lobby/bar is ALWAYS hopping. You can't go wrong with a Marriott. Got great rates, room service was prompt. No mini-fridges in rooms which was the only negative comment for our stay.

Room Tip: If you need a mini-fridge, you need to ask ahead.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I agree with previous reviewers. We were in room 3122. The view is awesome, with a floor to ceiling window. We could see Lake Michigan. However, the room is small and the bathroom is really small. Also, there are no shelves in the bathroom and the only towel rack is a small one in the shower. We were 2 adults and 2 children. If it were just 2 people, it probably would be OK. I had to stay here for a conference, so I had no choice of accomodation. I have to say that the staff are very nice. If you ask for extra towels, they bring them up STAT. If you leave a note for housekeeping for extra toilet paper or tissues, they actually read the note. This does not happen all the time. The beds seemed comfortable to me. You are in walking distance of lots of good restaurants, and close to the Red line. I went to the pool one night with one child. It is a small pool, but most of the kids there seemed to be having a good time. There is also an exercise room that looked good, but I did not use it. The parking is a public garage across the street. If you tell the hotel you are parked there you can pay at check out and get a discount. I think it was $41 per night. If you use valet parking, your car goes to the same lot. I can't remember the valet rate, however. Overall, if you want a great location, and there are only two people, I would consider this hotel. For a family, I would probably look elsewhere first for a larger room. If I was going for a family trip (not a conference) I would have tried another hotel. Also, the day we left we got room service for breakfast to save time. They came promptly at the time we requested (we used the card that you stick on the door to order the night before). There were no prices on the card, and I learned why when the bill came. It was hideously expensive. However, the kids loved it and thought the food was WONDERFUL. I was not as impressed, but it was convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake, on a higher floor. We were in room 3122, and the view was awesome.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

It's right on Magnificent mile, which is where you want to be when visiting or on business. I was here for a meeting and the hotel is well-kept and the location is perfect. The hotel food was pretty good too, but I preferred to step out for meals!

Room Tip: It's in the city, so higher floors are better!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel is located on Magnificent Mile and is close to the best shopping, restaurants bars and the train. The lobby is well appointed with a convenient Starbucks and a nice to bar to relax. The rooms aren't huge, but it's what you come to expect from big cities.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for a terrific view of downtown and the lake.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Beautiful lobby - valet entrance off Rush St - with vibrant bar scene and lots of comfortable lounging couches meant for groups. Second floor restaurant was OK - oatmeal was mushy (not steel cut). Concierge lounge for elite members is on second floor also and overlooks the lobby.

Room was TINY, as was the bath (door hits toilet seat), but linens and towels were clean and plush. No make-up mirror but there was a bathtub. Room view was other buildings, and as an elite member I expected better especially since I contacted the concierge a few days before check-in to let them know I was coming in late. Oh well. I only spent about 6 hours here, most of it asleep.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business