“Great Location, But A Bit Noisy”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #108 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Irvine, California
“Great Location, But A Bit Noisy”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We checked in for a business trip my wife went on and her company put her up here. The hotel is centrally located downtown, near the Grand St. L station. The staff has been extremely helpful and the room is comfortable and reasonably sized. The only drawback is the street noise, mainly a lot of sirens at night, and also through the door, you can hear people talk pretty easily.

We had a nice view of the city along Michigan Ave, with a peek of Lake Michigan, also a pretty early and bright sunrise which was mostly blocked by the curtains. Lots of great shopping and great restaurants nearby as well. Also the elevators come quickly, which is a big plus for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I used to stay in Marriotts all over Latin America and the US (California, Chile, Bogota, Sao Paulo), but never found a property so poor like this. Rooms are not nice, front desk staff act like they are doing favors to you (my reservantion included club lounge, continental breakfast and internet and was not given to me by check in), no room service after 9:00 pm (Big city as Chicago no room service after 9pm?). Really this property needs much more to be at a level of a Marriott.

Room Tip: Avoid get rooms ending on 03 internet doesn't work in these rooms
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed May 10, 2013

First, Concierge Gloria helped us get our bearings! She Is such an asset to the team! Great location of the hotel. friendly staff and overall, a great stay! Smaller rooms, but that is to be expected with a city location.

Room Tip: we had a city view. Nice, but I suspect a lake view would have been better!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Located just on the Magnificent Mile,very convenient. Has a parking package, the garage is just across the street, can park until 4pm the following day.
Rooms are smaller, and older, just OK, nothing fancy. Lobby is small too. Check in/out really fast. We were early like 11am, but they checked us in anyway (checkin time is 3pm). Very helpful staff. Driehaus Museum is about 3 blocks away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I spent three nights in this property in march 2012. The weather outside was in the 60's but the room was in the low 80's. I asked for another room and it also was extremely uncomfortable. The door/window could only be opened about an inch. The hotel provided fans to blow around the hot air.. I realize that this time of year can either be cold or warm but that is no excuse for a uncomfortable room - especially at the rates that they charge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Holbrook, NY
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here on a recent business trip for one night. The hotel lobby when we arrived in the early evening was large and open with a fairly lively bar scene. Check in is fast and easy. Plenty of friendly staff at the check in desk. No waiting. All good.

My room was on the 30th floor of the tower. First impression is very good. Fresh carpeting, nice modern furniture. Overall, very clean which is critical. One thing that was particularly nice was that the desk had two outlets built-in albeit it took me a few minutes to figure that out. I carry a lot of devices that need to be charged so I appreciate that there were plenty of open, accessible outlets. They have fast WiFi in the rooms albeit it will cost you $15 to connect. I connected my laptop, phone and iPad... no problems.

As for the bathroom, mine had a standup shower (no tub). For me, this was good. I prefer a nice roomy shower. Downsides? There were two... first, the bathroom needs to be retiled. The grout looked dirty (stains? mildew?) and several tiles were cracked. Small thing but anything put a perfect bathroom sort of grosses me out. Take away one point. The shower has a detachable wand... very nice. It is helpful because the water pressure is very low. I don't get it. The hotel is a few hundred yards from the great lakes sitting on rivers and you can't get decent water pressure. Cheap. No points taken away for this because this is the norm pretty much in every hotel. Therefore, average. Towels were nice and fairly heavy.

The bed and bedding... this is the most important thing. Cudo's for nice fresh blankets, sheets, pillows. Take away another point for a bed that noticeable sagged in the middle. I don't get this either. It is one of the most important things in the room (if not THE most important thing). Replace the box spring and mattress, Marriott! One last thing. The NOISE. The elevators are loudly humming in the hotel all night long. Very noticeable and loud enough to be annoying. I was dead tired so slept through it. My wife, if she were here, would have been up all night.

I guess, overall, I expect more from a Marriott. Some good here, some not so good. Would I stay here again? Maybe. I have been in a lot of better hotels in Chicago for similar cost.

Room Tip: Try to get as far away from the elevator as you can.
new york
Reviewed May 7, 2013

this btfl hotel is located smack in the middle of everything. its an easy walk up to the lake and just as easy to walk down michigan ave to explore the shops, theaters, business etc. My only comment is the rooms need to be spiffed up, they need full length mirrors, modern bathrooms. However I still recommend this local to many people especially female business travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business