“congress in the hotel”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #110 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I came to Chicago to a congress that took place at this hotel in November 2012. I stayed 3 night. The hotel is nice and its location is great. I went every night with my friends to great pubs and restaurants, which were really close to the hotel. Before I left the city I looked for gifts for my family; and again, many shops are located in the vicinity of the hotel. The Metro station is about 10 minutes walking from the hotel. For me, with small baggage, it was quite ok. So in summary, the location is great.
The people at the hotel, and especially in the reception are very nice and helpful. Full with freat information. The rooms are nice and comfy. For some reason I had two big beds in my room, but I guess that for family its great.
What I didn't like:
- the lighting in the room is too weak. It was very hard for me to work on my computer in the room.
- the price was high (164$ per night) and it did not include breakfast.
- the price did not include internet in my room. For free internet you should go to the lobby.

I did not compare prices before I chose this hotel; i chose it because it hosted the congress and the city was too cold for traveling every morning and evening between a distant-cheaper hotel and the congress. In my opinion the hotel was too expensive in comparison to what it offered.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,805)

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The location is ideal, right in the heart of shopping! The lobby in the hotel is great. The rooms need a bit updating though. The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are small.
There was hair in the shower when I arrived and the shower was not hot the 2 days that I stayed there. The staff were friendly and very helpful.
There is a business center that charges a fee for printing and computer usage. There is a Starbucks in the lobby.

I would choose a Courtyard ar Fairfield on my next visit to Chicago.

1  Thank MAUREENH47
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed for 1 night on business. 29th floor on the north side - room 36 - corner room - wonderful views. Front desk staff was pleasant and efficient and managed to allow all of our group of 20 to check in prior to noon. Marriott lounge on the second floor was one of the better staffed I've seen in quite some time. The lounge was well stocked with a hot breakfast, Starbucks coffee. Very pleasant experience. Nicely done. Room was average to large size for a large downtown hotel in a major city. Price was excellent ($143 plus taxes). Bed was very comfortable. Desk chair did not adjust. Bathroom was small but clean and functional. The room was quiet. Conference rooms on the 6th floor were served by an excellent audio visual & telecommunications staff. Our meeting presented well. Lunch was very good - with the wait staff very attentative and non-disruptive of our working lunch. Each conference room has a hot line to a meeting coordinator who handled our ad hoc requests for more flip charts etc... and at the end of the first day we decided to have wine brought to the center to finish out our day ... staff handled it extremely well and with a touch of class. Nicely done. Whether on business or pleasure I were certainly stay here again. Impressed.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We live in the suburbs and were spending a weekend in the city. This hotel has a great location right on Michigan avenue with plenty of shopping and restaurants within the area. It is also is only a short drive to the museums.

The main drawback is that the rooms are small for a family of 4. We had the standard 2-double bed room. Fine for 1 or 2 nights, but I would look for more spacious quarters if I stayed longer. The bathroom was about as small as it could be.

There are 2 fitness areas. A cardio room with about 15 pieces of varying machines and a separate weight room with weight machines. I did not discover the weight room until it was too late as it is separated from the cardio room. You need to walk through the pool area to get to it. It would have been helpful to have a sign in the cardio room letting you know the location of the weight room.

Pool is nice. Kids loved it. It is about 2.5 lanes wide. It has stairs to get in and depth ranges from about 3 feet to 5 feet.

Small room not withstanding, I would stay here again for a short stay due to the location.

1  Thank KLRock
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We just returned from a long weekend stay. First, let me tell you the good... Great location. Great lobby and bar area and quick check in. The hotel is under staffed in the bar area on a busy weekend in December but otherwise seemed to have plenty of employees who are willing to help. Now the bad,,,The room. We were on the 41st floor. Nice view of the lake, but it was extremely noisy from the street. The bathroom was really small but the worst part was we could not regulate the heater in the room and we were so hot at night we could not sleep. We had to open the window to let air in to cool but we still were hot. The first day we were there housekeeping did not show up to clean the room until around 5 PM when we were getting ready to go to out so we couldn't let them in to clean. Day two was cleaned in a more timely fashion. I honestly don't think I would stay here again. I think I would try another Marriott in the area.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel was crowded for two of the three days I was there, so I ended up going out for breakfast. Otherwise it was a pleasant stay. The rooms were reasonable and definitely quiet, the staff were friendly and it is in a good location.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my first stay at this particular Marriott. I have to say it is the best customer service I have ever received after years of being a Platinum Marriott Rewards member. I checked in at the 'Elite' desck and we got a nice upgrade on the 46th floor. Excellent view. My daughter loved the pool even though it was very simple. I liked it because it was warm! We ate breakfast and dinner in the conceirge lounge, which was excellent. It is in a great location for shopping and seeing shows. We will be back.