“Rooms not up to par” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #109 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Kelowna
“Rooms not up to par”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I had a corner room with a great view but it smelled musty and showed signs of water damage. Just not really what should be expected at a Marriot. The location is great close to shopping and many places to eat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
atlanta,ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott this weekend to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my 40th birthday. You can do the math on that one later.

Location and walking:

Ahem. Now for the review. This is a great location. It's in the heart of all of the glitzy shops found on Michigan Ave. Chicago is my hometown but I live in Atlanta now. It was great to take in the city as a tourist. You can walk just about anywhere from this hotel. You only need a rental car if you are going way out somewhere. Walking is probably the top option all would choose during the summer and fall months. We were able to walk to Navy Pier in 15 mins. There are plenty of buses, cute trolley cars (which I believe are free) and cabs to get you to all the tourist destinations.

Concierge:
The concierge desk is manned with at least 3 people to assist. They are located in the super beautiful lobby area. The bar is right smack in the middle with plenty of seating. It's truly a "hot spot" for everyone staying there. On the 2nd floor is a business center with a FEDEX office if needed.

Breakfast:
Speaking of the 2nd floor, this is the location of their awesome breakfast buffet. You can order off the menu but as your server will explain, anything and they mean Anything off the menu can be found in the buffet. They will also custom make an omlette for you at no extra charge. I also highly recommend the chicken sausage.

Noise:
Now for the noise. No worries about noisey guests. It's the noise outside that may get to others. Since I am from Chicago, I was not surprised to hear sirens. This hotel and others are located very closely to one of the best hosptials in the city (Northwestern Hospital). You may hear sirens of ambulances on the way to the ER. If you think this would be too much, you may want to consider hotels that are further south on Michigan Avenue passed Wacker Drive...go ahead I know you want snicker. :-)
Walking is feasible but when you head South on Michigan Ave, there is not too much happening unless you go on State street. For ambiance in my humble Chgo gal experience, I think Michigan Avenue is better.

Shopping at the hotel:
I should mention this hotel is connected to a Nordstrom and Forever 21 so that may be another reason to stay here. There are other stores inside.

More on the room:
The bathrooms are a little small but the big plus was having a couch in our King size bed area.
Overall I would stay here again if given the option. There are other Marriott properties in close proximity like Marriott Courtyard and Marriott Residence Inn.

Overall..phenominal stay for a birthday weekend!

p.s. Ignore my rating on the spa. They don't have one. I was clicking too fast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melnatl
Liberty, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This trip was the most amazing experience and it's all because of the customer service at the Marriott hotel on Michigan Ave. I'm a Marriott Platinum member and have been for the past 7 years. This was far and away the best hotel I've stayed at. Upon check in I was named "Guest of the Day." The hotel staff upgraded me to a suite with 2 bedrooms, which was very exciting for my girls weekend with my 3 aunts. I recieved 2 complementary drinks at the bar, 2 complementary breakfast buffets and a complementary appitizer. We had a few issues with the room (the TV didn't work...simply unplugged, the room was very hot and wouldn't cool down and the toilet ran), no big deal. The customer service was incredible. Things were fixed in a matter of minutes and the hotel staff was on top of everything and very apologetic! On Friday evening I asked the lady at check in if I could trade in my drink tickets for a free movie and of course she agreed. In fact, she let me keep the drink tickets. The bellmen were wonderful, the check in folks were curdious and I will stay here everything I come back to Chicago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
arkansastraveler74
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel! Excellent views overlooking the city! We had an excellent experience! Nice large suite on the 45 floor. Very helpful staff at check in.

Breakfast buffet was average.

Overall, great hotel in an excellent location. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed here three (3) nights while attending a conference and enjoyed the comfort, cleanliness, and amenities of the hotel. Disclaimer: I did stay in a hospitality suite. My only complaint was the lack of power outlets convenient to the bed in the suite: no place to charge my mobile overnight and have it beside me with the white noise app playing. There are plenty of restaurants and bars in downtown Chicago to keep you fed and watered for weeks.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is my second visit to Chicago in the last 18 monhts. Last time we stayed at the Sofitel. We tried booking Sofitel this time but they were fully booked on the dates were were in Chicago.

Comparing Downtown Marriott to Sofitel, Marriott is definitely more run down in terms of the room size, especially the washroom. The shower is weak and so small. You can hardly find space to place the shower mat. There was no mini fridge nor electric kettle (they do have a coffee maker). Consider such a brand name hotel, they only provide paper cups for client use. Price-wise, it is comparable to Sofitel. Definitely not good value for money paid.

What good about this hotel is the location. it is in the center of the Magnificent Mile and is easily access to shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Nothing to add