“Nice home for our convention”

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #110 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here for a conference and was pleased. The front desk staff was always courteous. Even the 800 number customer service before I came was impressive. I was afraid they would get confused with our uneven splitting of the room, but they did just as we asked. I have no complaints! It was also a great central location with good restaurants and shopping nearby.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This seems like an old hotel that was updated a while ago. While we were there, the lobby was always full of convention goers which made us scurry quickly to the elevators on the other side. Our room was on the 27th floor and we could see Lake Michigan off to the side of the buildings. We liked the view. The room was okay. The location on North Michigan Avenue was excellent. You can walk to great stores, the Art Institute and Millennium Park. We never saw a restaurant, just the bar in the middle of the lobby.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views, facing the lake.
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I went to Chicago to run the Half Marathon and as Marriott Reward Member I was very excited to find a Magnificent Marriott very close by where I needed to be. What a mistake!
The hotel is nothing similar to magnificent. The service is very bad, the first day my room was never made! I arrived back to my room around 4pm and it was still undone, I called housekeeping and they said they will send someone, that person arrived 2 hours later.. by 6pm I didnt want to have ANYONE in my room.
My minibar was empty, and i do not remember getting asked if that was my choice.
Given that I was going to run the marathon I asked them if they were going to have a special breakfast for the runners, and the answer was no. I asked the if I could then have an early breakfast, around 4am... the answer was also negative.
The hotel is old, terrible service and I didnt feel they cared about anything. And it has a lack of details, such as a ramp in case you enter the hotel from the magnificent mile... you have to carry your bag down the stairs with no help ofcourse.
The hotel is perfectly located, but i think a travelodge service would be better! So look for something else.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank adrialvarez
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I travel continually and this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. Service was beyond bad. Saying "Our Policy" is preferred to any help. Standing urine in stairwells. AC can't keep up with temps. Decor circa 1970. Unwashed bowls of mints. Drains clogged. Weak restaurant. Broken ice machines. Too few elevators. Poor tv reception.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank DrRGR
Dan P, Director of Sales at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We take these comments very seriously and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations in a number of areas. We would like to discuss your concerns in detail at your earliest convenience. Please contact Dan Preston, our Director of Sales & Marketing at 312-836-6104 or dan.preston@marriott.com.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Good location. Hotel shabby and poorly maintained. 70s design and very much in need of just a little bit of investment in maintenance. Several strips of black duct tape were holding the corridor carpet together on the 44th floor; not acceptable for the price you pay. Aircon in my suite could not cope with sunshine on a mid-70 degree day. Bathroom towels so old they were distinctly grey against the porcelain of the bath; unacceptable pennypinching. Lifts slow and unreliable. Checkin had plenty of staff but quantity does not equal quality, it took me nearly 20 minutes to check in. Concierge staff disinterested. Housekeeping and maintenance staff were good, cheerful, efficient and professional, a lovely contrast to the desk staff. This hotel makes its money from conventions and conferences and very clearly does not care about the individual guests, which is OK in the short term because we have no choice where to stay for a conference, but you can bet that Marriott will be bottom of my list when I choose hotels for my own travel, and when I am on conference organising committees myself.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are quieter; even numbered rooms overlook Michigan Avenue and because the window...
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The location, lobby, and the rooms were great! However, the service was really poor! I am a light sleeper and upon check-in requested a quiet room far from the elevators and vending machines. The front desk lady told me it was not a problem and gave me a room ..... right next to the very loud vending machines. I called the front desk and requested my room to be changed. I was told that the bell man would be in my room with a new key within 10 minutes. I waited over 30 minutes and after one more call he finally arrived. The rest of my stay was basically uneventful..... until I got home and reviewed my credit card activity. I realized that I was charged about 50 dollars more than what my bill said. I called the hotel right away to clarify. I was told that every guest gets charged 50 dollars per day just in case they order movies, phone calls etc. Then the money is returned to the customer within next 5 bussiness days. This is their policy. I was shocked because I have never heard about this and I stay at different Marriotts all the time. I was never informed about this poicy in the first place and I should have. This is how you loose your customers (and I am a Marriott rewards member).

3  Thank Tourist222
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel provides the predictable Marriott service experience at a great location on Chicago Michigan Avenues's "Magnificent Mile.". I was here for a company conference. The meeting facilities were spacious ad well laid out. The rooms are a little small and cramped more like what one would expect in New York or London. But clean and comfortable nonetheless. The banquet food was actually quite tasty, not at all the typical "rubber chicken."

Stayed: August 2012