“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #108 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a conference, and I was completely satisfied. It had the nice bonuses of most Marriott's these days: really comfortable beds, good front desk service, nice hotel bar. The room I was in was a little bit small for my liking (as was the bathroom), but nothing was wrong with it. Very clean hotel. I second the comment made about needing more elevators-- I, too, had to wait quite a long time to get down from the 36th floor in the morning. Also, they shouldn't have charged for wireless internet, but I paid for it anyways. Nice lobby to "people watch"-- very bustling. Overall really nice hotel, would definately stay here again!

• Liked — View from my room, bed, food
  • Disliked — Small room, price
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for two nights to attend a conference, also held at the hotel. The food served at the conference was surprisingly good.

The room was nice, I had a great view of downtown. No complaintes on the room equipments, cleanliness, and atomosphere. I can't believe they charge for wireless internet in the room though.

They need to add more elevetors. I had to wait for such a long time every time I wanted to go to my room or conference floor.

Overall, the hotel met most of my expectations of what this hotel would be. I would have given them 5 points instead of 4 for not charging extra for wireless internet.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

This Marriott is perfectly located on Michigan Avenue. It is next to a mall, and within walking distance to all of the shops, the Chicago River, Millenium Park, etc.

The hotel itself is very nice, though the rooms are not as updated as some of the other Marriott's we have been to. However, our room was clean and quiet. Also, the Concierge Level was above average and offered an extensive breakfast.

Chicago is a beautiful city, and if you are there to tour the area and see all of the sights, then I highly recommend the Marriott.

Recommended Sights: Hancock Observatory (within walking distance), Millenium Park (nice walk if the weather is cooperating), and a boat ride of the Charles River & Lake Michigan.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The room was a bit small
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

I recently stayed at the Marriott Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile for a medical conference. Upon entering the lobby, I was very impressed with the upscale decor and ambiance. The staff was friendly, prompt and courteous. That’s where it ended. The rooms left much to be desired especially at a rate of $300/night (which was a “discounted” conference rate). The décor was very dated. The bathroom had marble countertops, but nothing else. The bathtub had rust and mold was growing within the caulking. The carpeting, décor and lighting in the hallways was so dark, dim and gloomy that I thought I was in an Alfred Hitchcock movie classic. The ice machines did not function properly, so I had to travel up several flights of stairs, to find one that actually worked. Granted, these were small problems, but I had higher expectations for the brand name and price. However, on a brighter note, the location was superb!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very small rooms with dated decor and upkeep
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

I stayed at the hotel on a Friday night. Location is a 10 out 10. I felt like I had an apartment on Michigan Ave. Elevators were easy to get to. Hotel staff extremely friendly. Train stop (Grand Sr Station) one block or so away. I bid the hotel on Priceline and paid $140 compared to $289 at Marriott.com. Would I stay her again. you bet I would.

Stayed October 2007
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

Stayed at this hotel on business and found the location right on N. Michigan to be perfect. Good access to trains, restaurants, shopping, river, etc. I lived in S. Florida for a few years and was excited to see a Joe's Stone Crab directly across the street when I arrived.

Room was good sized, clean, and decorated well. Alot of the convenience plugs added to the desk area for business travelers did not work, so i found myself searching for plug-in space behind furniture. Not a huge thing, but if you're gonna bother with the extra plugs, why not make sure they work?

Hotel was full with a convention at the time I stayed and it took along time to get an elevator. This was my biggest complaint with the place. Bar in the lobby was fun and active. Restaurant is kinda outta the way up on the 4th or 6th floor, but had a good breakfast buffet at a reasonable price.

Price was in-line with other comparable hotels for features and location. I would stay here again on the company's dime. For personal travel, there are slightly better deals close-by that I would choose first.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Elevator wait times
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

Let me start by saying that I love Marriott hotels. I have never stayed at one that I didn't enjoy. That being said, they are sometimes above my price range. For this trip, I needed to go as cheaply as I could without lowering my standards.

While searching, the Marriott website was the first one I looked at. Then I looked at different hotel sites as well as travel sites offering deals. Everything was above my budget. So I tried Priceline. This was my first time using it, and I was so very happy when my third bid was accepted to see that I'd won the Marriott Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile!

Being a Pricline reservation, there were restrictions. However, it doesn't hurt to try, so the week before our arrival, I emailed the hotel directly to request that the 2 rooms I had reserved be adjoining and that we have 2 beds in each room. Within one day, I had a reply from them saying they would forward my request to the front desk and do everything possible to accomodate us. When we arrived, I mentioned emailing, and the front desk person assured me that they were going to accomodate that request! I was very happy, as we had 5 in our party, and wanted to stay together, if possible.

The rooms were beautifully decorated. The beds were the most comfortable beds I have ever had in a hotel room. Lots of soft, fluffy pillows, down comforters, quality bed linens. Modern, flat screen tv's in each room. Two phones in each room. A desk with chair, and an upholstered chair as well. We also had a full length mirror in each room, which was very nice.

The only down side, and this was very minor, was the size of the bathrooms. The toilet and tub were in one very small room, and the sink and closet were outside of that room. Only one person could stand in front of the sink, as there was no room for anyone else. Having 3 women in one room and 2 in the other, this made it a little hard, but we made do just fine. Water pressure in the shower was good, not a fine spray like most hotels. Never had a problem with water temperature either.

The staff at this hotel were wonderful. Every time we had a question or request, it was dealt with very courteously and quickly. Check in and out was quick and easy. The only time we ate in one of the hotel restaurants was the morning we left. We grabbed a muffin and coffee on our way out, where the service was quick and the prices were decent.

We tried out the pool and the hot tub the last evening, and that was a big hit, as we were all pretty tired from all the walking we did while shopping. The exercise room looked very nice, although we didn't have an opportunity to use it.

Location of this hotel was great for our needs. Close enough to walk to the Loop for the theater, and right on the Mag Mile, close to shopping and restaurants. We caught the bus right across the street for the northern end of Michigan Ave, and for going to the zoo.

All in all, a wonderful stay, and this hotel may just become the only place I want to stay while visiting Chicago! If only I could afford to stay there more often!

• Liked — The beds were the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel.
  • Disliked — small bathrooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family