“Overpriced and disappointing”

Ranked #110 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Overpriced and disappointing”
Reviewed September 28, 2007

As a frequent traveler to Chicago, I always welcome the opportunity to come back to a city that has some of the best hotels in the US. Usually I stay at the Park Hyatt or the Peninsula, but our conference was at the Marriott so I stayed there out of convenience- what a mistake! For over $300, you get a room smaller than some closets, with virtually no amenities. The Michigan ave location is good, but for another $150, the Park Hyatt is sure to delight you!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank liborman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northern California
Reviewed September 25, 2007

We stayed our first night in a hotel just down the block but were not happy with the premises. Walked into the Marriott on Sept. 8 and they were very helpful - showed us a room and we promptly booked 5 nights on the spot, government rate for 3 nights and AAA rate the other two, so overall less expensive than the hotel down the block.

Everything about this hotel made our stay a pleasant experience - the hotel staff, housekeeping, breakfast at their 4th floor dining room, view from our room on the 41st floor, and the fact that the entire hotel is a nonsmoking facility. Rooms were tastefully decorated and very clean. Beds were comfortable and room was quiet, too - no noise from rooms on either side. Ask for a lakeside view - you get a little of the city and a little of the lake. We had a city-only view with sunsets, and that was nice, too. One added bonus: Trader Joes is in the next block, which is convenient for snacks and wines.

Location is good - one block off the Magnificent Mile and within walking distance of Millenium Park, the Art Institute, and the Chicago Architecture Foundation (the latter for great tours & info). We didn't care about the shopping on The Mile, but it's where to get buses to go places elsewhere in the city.

Overall, the Marriott made our first-time stay in Chicago a wonderful experience. I'd recommend it to my relatives....

• Liked — The room + facility and central location
  • Disliked — business center charges 50 cents per minute for internet access
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
New Orleans
Reviewed September 21, 2007

We stayed at this location for a conference for 5 days. The location was nice but I was not impress with the hotel at all. I rather stay off of Michigan Ave. if it meant we can stay at a hotel where it is cleaner and spacious.

We arrived during the conference and it took awhile for us to check-in. Unfortunately, it was during high school proms, the lobby was swamped with 4 different proms the weekend and the attendees of the conference (McCormick Convention Center).

I was not impress with the wait in the elevators and because it was so crowded with unsupervised teenagers and professionals, getting to the top floor was a hike.

The hallway was very narrow and gloomy with unattractive 70's carpet.
The room was very tight. It was two double with a 'view' but it was not much of a view. The got us excited during check in but the room/
window was against a wall so we can only see out at an angle. The bathroom was very ugly. The tub was standard and small. Very dated. The toilet was old and the seat was chipping so I can't tell if they cleaned the toilet or not.

The closet door did not slide; we called someone to fix it and not one came by to fix the door during our stay. (5 days of neglect).
The iron did not work so we had to call for another one. We needed to iron our clothes for work. That was also a drag.

Bar was small and dingy. The desk did not know of late night restaurants. Getting a cab was about 20-30 minute wait. I was not impressed at all. The city is full of fun things to do but at the end of the day, we dreaded coming back to our room.

I have to go to Chicago every year for the conference and this is one hotel I plan on never returning to. I felt like I was in a run down old Vegas casino-hotel.

• Liked — Location on Magnificent Mile
  • Disliked — overall experience was below average; crowded and hectic, rooms are dark and lobby is dated.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Indiana
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I stayed in Chicago with my new FIANCE. We booked a room at the Chicago Marriott. It was a little pricy, but included a lot. I recommend the "Romance Package" to anyone looking for a "wow" weekend. It included champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, breakfast in bed for 2 and a later checkout. Not only was the hotel nicer than anything I've stayed in, but the service was also great. They gave us info on where to go (dinner, nightlife, etc.) We got to check in early. The room was great. Not the biggest, but very nice. We were on the 33rd floor which meant just a magnificent view of the city. I proposed at Navy Pier, and everything worked out great. Needless to say, this was the greatest weekend of our lives. A great hotel, great location and an all around great city. What more could you ask for?

• Liked — The location and very friendly staff
  • Disliked — Not enough time to enjoy everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Walnut Cove, North Carolina
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Arrived early and was able to check my bags and pre-register. The front desk was helpful and friendly. Room was a little small but nice. Room was on the 43rd floor. Fast elevator ride. Great view of the Saturday night fireworks at the Navy Pier. Comfortable beds.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 9, 2007

I was there this past weekend, and honestly, have no clue what the prior poster is talking about. What construction?

We checked in with ease and a smile, even though it was only 10 a.m. Got a room on the 23rd floor. Elevators were never a problem (not even the problem earlier posters had pointed out about crowds, let alone what the prior poster said about only one elevator being in service). Most of the time there was nobody or one other person/couple in the elevator with us on the way up or the way down. We never waited more than a minute for the elevator.

The lobby is nice - as I said in the title, very Marriott-like. We were only there for a short stay, so never even sat in the lobby. Did get a cup of tea at the Starbucks in the lobby, again, nice, pleasant service.

The room itself was average-size. I'd estimate the main part of the room measures 16 x 13. Unbelieveably comfortable king-size bed and linens. As Marriott rewards customers, we have stayed in many many Marriotts, as well as many many other hotels over the years, and I'd venture to say this was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, including my own at home. Small dresser and desk, loveseat, two nightstands.

The room's biggest "issue" is the size of the bathroom. I've only ever seen one smaller hotel bathroom in my life. This one was shockingly small. It was functional for one person -- it had a nice-size vanity, and it did have a good shower -- but the size made it impossible for two people to get ready at the same time. Even the one person had to wait for the mirror to de-fog.

The best things about the hotel - the bed, and knowing that the room would be non-smoking, because all Marriotts are.

We would stay here again.

• Liked — Comfortable Bed
  • Disliked — Size of bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sf7307
Michigan
Reviewed September 5, 2007

Great location; service was not so great. Like other reviewers I felt it lacked character. My opinion is probably colored by the fact that the "gentleman" at the front desk was rude to me on check-in. There was a snafu with my reservations and I almost ended up with no place to stay and two teenagers in tow. I had spoken with Marriott directly and asked if this were the hotel next to Nordstrom on MI Ave, to avoid any confusion. They said yes, but apparently I had reserved with an outlying hotel. This one is IMMEDIATELY next to Nordstrom. The man at the front desk let me stay but told me "only this time" and then continued to lecture me. It was demeaning, but I was in a big city with no other decent reservations and felt stuck. I've stayed in Chicago many times and this is the only time I have almost cried at the front desk. The basketball court on the roof, which is advertised on the website, is no longer available - a disappointment to my children. They generally have only ONE elevator in service. The internet costs too much and works only sporadically. I paid for parking but the parking folks were not aware of it. The gift shop is not where it is supposed to be, never found it. The salon has moved. Nothing is where it is advertised in the hotel guide and half of the services are "out of service at this time". Almost nothing is as advertised or where/when it's supposed to be. Small rooms, but it is fine for a place to sleep in a good location. If you are accustomed to good service you will be disappointed and should take your business elsewhere. Perhaps it will be better once their renovations are completed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family