“we like this hotel and recommend everyone but...”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #104 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Between September 9-12 we stayed this hotel.
We booked a standard room.
But we were lucky, our rooom was on 15th floor and lake front at the corner.
Room is clear and comfortable.
View was perfect esp around 6 am you can witness the sunrise just in front of you.

We made our reservation over Priceline with $80/night-room.
I think it was a good deal.

Our problems were..
1. There is no (complimentary) internet access
2. We are a little far from downtown (we solved this problem to buy 3 days CTA)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,337)

Reviewed September 10, 2010

After all the bad reviews, I was really concerned about staying at this hotel. However, after checking in and seeing my room I was relieved. This is not a four star hotel! The hotel is listed as a 3 star hotel at the Hilton Chicago webpage. However, Priceline lists it as 4 star. I hope they change that.

Keep in mind that this is a very old, historical building/ hotel. The hotel is huge, it occupies a whole block. The entrance to the hotel is grand! There are crystal chandeliers everywhere, beautiful carpets, and fresh flower arrangements. Front desk staff was polite and friendly. We didn’t use their parking or internet, so if you want to know how much they charge for parking, internet and gym call the hotel prior to your arrival.

Room (1246):
The room was small, but not too small as other people had mentioned. We did not feel cramped at all. There was plenty of room for two people. Our room was in a somewhat quiet location on the 12th floor, facing State St., with a beautiful view of the Sears Tower. Even with the windows closed, you can still hear the EL trains. My Homedics sound machine, which I always take a long with me, completely blocked the noise. The room was bright, with plenty of natural light. It was fairly clean, the king size bed was comfortable, with good quality linens, and plenty of pillows. Good, solid, classical style dark wood furniture, 40 inch LCD TV, a small fridge (mini-bar) and a Cuisinart coffee maker in the room, as well as a desk area with a computer (internet fee). There is a large closet with hangers and an iron & board. The bathroom was small, but decent. Marble sinks and floors, small bathtub. I must say it was not as clean as I would like it to be. But, since I always carry my Clorox wipes no matter where I'm staying… Next day housekeeping did a much better job. Room had a musty smell; not too strong. I fixed that with some candles and air freshener. Air conditioner worked very well.

Location:
The location is great! Grant Park is across the street and it is beautiful. Buckingham fountain is a very short walk away. You can walk all the way up to Millennium Park and the Art Institute from the hotel in about 15 minutes. And you can walk all the way down to the Museum Campus. Buddy Guy Blues Lounge is right behind the hotel. There is a Lou Malnatis pizzeria a few blocks away on South State Street, a Starbucks at the hotel next door (The Blackstone on S. Michigan), and a very popular breakfast spot (Yolk) a few blocks south of the hotel on Michigan. I was disappointed at the lack of good restaurants in the area, especially at night. Plan your meals accordingly, you can easily and safely take the subway on Harrison, (the Red line is your friend) two blocks from the hotel. There are good restaurants at River North area - Clark Street. Also, if you want to go to Navy Pier, Magnificent Mile, or Lincoln Park, I suggest you take the subway.

Overall, our stay was very pleasant. We would stay at the Hilton Chicago again. I really hope Priceline changes its rating to a 3 star hotel. We stayed at the hotel over Labor Day weekend and paid $70 dollars per night. (4 star bidding – South Michigan-Grant Park area).

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I felt bad for the family in front of me; 10:30PM and they had to wait two hours for their room.

Rooms are pretty beat up. Parking is obnoxiously high. They also charge for wifi. In short, they seem to be nickling and diming their patrons quite a bit.

I thought the staff was a bit rude, certainly indifferent. Maybe pay your people a bit more.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Stayed here for a Valentines break and found the Hilton to be the perfect setting to see all the city can offer. Hotel was very grand and traditional and the staff there were friendly and well mannered. Located right by the museum campus and lake michigan, the hotel setting was romantic and quiet. Transport into the downtown area was a couple of blocks walk away, we really liked the elevated railway and found it relatively easy to use. Hotel facillities were of a high standard, especially the pool and free ice machine in the corridors. The room felt luxurious and homely with a nice ambience, the bathroom was spacious and clean too. Would defnately stay at the Hilton Chicago again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2010

This hotel had been booked for the first night of our route 66 three week holiday. After a really long flight, it was great to arrive here. I always have high hopes of a Hilton and this didn't disappoint. Staff were courteous, our room was spacious and very clean. I liked the addition of the Crabtree & Eveyln toiletries in the bathroom - the best out of any of the hotels we stayed in over three weeks. We had a great view from our room, which was (from memory) on the 21st floor. For us this hotel was perfect and certainly some of our subsequent hotels fell well short of this one. The elevators were a bit crowded at times, but the hotel was very busy and this was a weekend in July.

The hotel was in a great central location, only a short walk from the Lake.

Because this hotel had been booked for us via an agent in the UK, we didn't have the same issues as some other reviewers regarding value for money - so I couldn't really comment on that aspect.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I booked this hotel on Priceline with a winning bid of $70 per night. Priceline rated this hotel four stars. I have stayed at other four star hotels in Chicago (Palmer House Hilton & Westin North Michigan Avenue), sadly this is not a four star hotel.

I was excited to stay at this hotel due to its history and Grant Park location. The lobby is regal and stately, if a little worn. The greatest disappointment was my room. I was given a room on the 13th floor (I should have known!) at the end of a hallway. The door to my room was difficult to open and there was a used pillowcase on the floor. In addition, the room had a distinct odor, like antiseptic and pesticide mixed together. The furniture was dated and the bed springs creaked - this was most surprising to me as most HIlton beds are great. A few other tidbits I noticed during my stay - toenail clippings on the floor (I guess they don't vacuum) and mildew in the shower. The fixtures and style of the rooms are circa 1979's idea of regal and stately. A friend of mine stayed on the 6th floor and visiting his room (which was smaller) confirmed my review.

Some people would say that I shouldn't complain as I only paid $70/night through Priceline. I say that Priceline should re-examine its rating of this hotel. This hotel is not on par with other four star hotels it lists in Chicago or in other cities where I have bid and won rooms such as Los Angeles, Houston and New Orleans just to name a few. The Chicago Hilton might not care about its Priceline guests and place them in its least appealing rooms. This is a mistake as most of my travel is work related (over 50 room nights/year for work) and I choose to stay at Hilton or Hyatt hotels. I will never book this hotel when I travel to Chicago for work, nor will I recommend it for coworkers. I might use Priceline for personal travel, but pay the full rate when traveling for work. Earlier in the week, I stayed at the Palmer House Hilton and found that to be a true example of a four star experience. The Palmer House is also an excellent example of an old hotel that has been renovated to keep its history while updating for the 21st century. It was exceptionally clean too.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2010

The Hilton is in a great spot. Check in was easy, but upon arriving to our room, there was a distinct odor of smoke (it is a non-smoking hotel). We called the front desk and they sent a bellman up with a new key, and he escorted us to our much nicer new room! We had a beautiful view of the city and the room was very clean and comfortable.

There was also a computer on the desk that was available to look up local restaurants, bars, and attractions, as well as check facebook and other social networking sites (all for free), or, you could purchase music for the room or internet access directly. Very nice addition to the room!

The parking is exorbitant - $44/night to valet (as are most hotels near it) but we self parked for 2 nights at a nearby garage for $34 total. Definitely shop around for parking if you're OK with a short walk.

This hotel is certainly a little outdated, and the inside is kind of a maze (it's huge!), but if you are looking for a basic room with a great location at a reasonable price (we got our room for under $100 with priceline), definitely book here!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple