“We loved our stay here”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #103 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I took two 13 year-olds here for a mini vacation and we had a great time. The hotel is beautiful, and offers a unique experience that most chain hotels just can't match. The place just oozes history and class. The grand entrance is worth seeing, even if you aren't staying here.

Our room was very nicely sized and we had a gorgeous view of the the lake. We also had wi-fi and a nice sized tv, although we never turned it on. Clearly, the hotel itself isn't new, but the room we had felt very up to date. I only wish they would put queen sized beds in these rooms, as there is more than enough room. I was sleeping alone, but if my husband had been with us, we would have been very uncomfortable in the double bed. There is an attached parking garage which was great. We chose a room option that included unlimited in and out parking during out stay, which was a real deal, as most parking in the area that I saw was at least $30 for the day, not including overnight. We didn't move our car for 3 days, so I definitely feel we got our money's worth in that department. If you are in town to visit the museums, Grant Park, go to a Bears game, shop the magnificent mile, etc, this is an ideal location. It is barely a 10 minute walk to the Shedd and maybe another 5 to get to Soldier Field. It is just over a mile to walk to Watertower and surrounding area, so even if you decide you can't make it the cost of a cab won't break you. The cost of the room was less than or equal to many of the hotels that were closer to the magnificent mile.

The staff was wonderful. They were responsive and friendly during every interaction I had with them. And while it is a very large hotel, they still managed to provide a personal and welcoming experience.

Room Tip: Ask if their room renovations are complete. If not ask, for a room an a floor where the renovations...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Michael H, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our beautiful, historic and classy hotel with a unique experience and the quality of service you received from our friendly staff. I was delighted to hear you found our location convenient for travel and to the surrounding museums, attractions, Grant Park and Millennium Park.
We thank you for your patronage and again, for your wonderful feedback in advising us you loved your stay!
We look forward to serving you for many more years in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

The hotel IS historic, central, clean and comfortable. But … there are better places to stay if you want those things. Housekeeping was disinterested. Additional charges exist for everything. This may be trivial for some, but the selection of TV stations was paltry. At the end of a long day, I just wanted to stare, but there were few choices and those were hard to navigate -- its the Stanley Cup playoffs and they didn't carry the station with the Blackhawks! The most unpleasant surprise was the the add'l taxes amounted to nearly $40 PER NIGHT. It seemed much higher than other cities I have stayed in. IF I got a super good rate, I might stay here again, but otherwise I will try something else.

Room Tip: Choosing high doesnt help if you get put on the west side. You will hear the L all night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our historic hotel and that you found us centrally located, clean and comfortable.
Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointments with the Housekeeping staff, TV viewing and added charges. Please be assured, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for a large downtown Chicago area hotel. We do show the Blackhawks games in both our bars and the tax rate is the same for all hotels in Chicago.
We truly hope you will visit us again and allow us the opportunity to regain your trust.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Went to Chicago for a short family vacation and to celebrate a couple of Birthdays. Staying at the Hilton Chicago made it all the more special!! The hotel is very close to many attractions like the Zoo, Jazz Showcase, Museums, Parks, and a variety restaurants. Great view of Navy Pier and Lake Michigan from our room! Love both of these places.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Gwendolyn C

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the Hilton Chicago and its convenient location to the surrounding attractions like the zoo, museums, Grant Park and Millennium Park and dining establishments. I was also pleased to hear you enjoyed the view room your room and that staying with us made the birthday celebrations more special!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was my first stay at a Hilton and I must say it had been an exceptional experience. The room, the generous space, the bed, the pillows, the towels.....I was very impressed. Above all, the staff is second to none. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: ask for a corner room if possible
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from our staff and of our excellent accommodations and service. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your room accommodations with generous space and that the bed, pillows and towels added to your exceptional experience!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Grand historic hotel on Michigan Avenue facing the lake, a few blocks up from Millennium Park, where dignitaries of all nationalities have been pampered for nearly a century. We stayed here because I had had a good time on business a few years ago, and I liked the location. I might have tried the other old Stevens’ property, the Parks Hotel, which is closer to downtown, in order to save the wear and tear on my feet, but the reviews are better here. Maybe next time.

Thanks to my Gold status and expert advice and handling by the hotel staff, including the Executive Club concierge from Italy, we found ourselves in a corner room on the uppermost renovated room overlooking the lake, with a partial skyline view as well. Being Gold does have its privileges, including free continental breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres, free WiFi, free water upon check-in, free upgrades, late check-out, and free access to the health club.

The hotel lobby, ballrooms, and museum-like collections of memorabilia from earlier hotel days are definitely worth perusing. Great place for photos. Little did I know that “Fugitive” was filmed here (along with many other movies and TV shows).

The renovated floors are a bit art deco compared to the 20-or-so other floors that will be updated soon. The lighting is rather white compared to yellow. Not sure I prefer it, but whatever. The rooms feel modern, replete with a touch-less key entry system and “HCN navigator” PC-like device that you can use to locate fine dining and attractions. Honestly, with all the personal devices we carry these days, I’m not convinced it’s worth the space on the desk, but I suppose it might be fun if you have more kids than PCs! The room itself was on the small side compared to newer hotels, but we had enough space to get around. No way to fit a roll-away, for example.

General condition was okay – a little surprising given that it was so recently renovated. I found yellow “munchies” on the floor under the desk, part of the wallpaper was ripped, the vent in the shower was assembled crooked, the ones in the room weren't flush to the wall, the bed had those useless feather pillows (in spite of my documented preference for foam), the main ceiling light fixture had no cover, and a couple of the light switches went nowhere. Our wonderful view of the lake was mildly tarnished by a double pane window that was in dreadful need of cleaning, showed signs of compromised integrity with internal condensation, and served as base for two big happy spiders on the exterior. Of course, these factors pale in comparison to the fact that we were comfortable, the bed was new and of quite cozy, the ventilation system was quiet, and we were happy vacationers.

Speaking of the bed, after three nights of sound sleep, I can attest that it really was excellent. It was a standard height pillow-top king with a thick, luxurious mattress cover, and silky, high density cotton sheets, including those covering the down comforter. We could see the sunrise across the lake without getting up.

The Executive Lounge was pretty crowded given that it’s “reserved” for Gold and Diamond Honors members. I saw a few questionable characters up there over the weekend. The view was great, especially from the tables by the window. Oatmeal was perfectly prepared (not too dry, not too loose) as were the evening homemade hors d’oeuvres (chicken dumplings with soy sauce, mushroom phylo wraps, etc.). The coffee machine, on the other hand, should have been left at the Citgo gas station!

Internet access tasted worse than the coffee machine. How’s that for an analogy? The hotel gave us the obligatory code, but our devices only worked in the room – not the lounge or gym, for example. Every time we exited the room and returned, we had to reenter the code which, for some of us with thick fingers, isn’t always easy – I kept hitting the terms and conditions URL instead of the box to accept them. Unfortunately, the code needs to be reentered every new day. What ever happened to providing a pass that lasts the duration of your stay? Want to retrieve a message first thing in the morning on your phone when everything is dark? Sorry, dude! You need to get up out of bed, turn on the lights, find the activation page, and carefully type in the 12-character code. Plus, the code needs reentering after midnight (not a complete hotel day). The code needs reentering whenever the laptop awakes from sleep mode. The code needs reentering after YOU snooze for a couple hours. Sometimes, I had no idea why I needed to renter that stupid code. I'm convinced there was either a conspiracy with the service providers to maximize data usage while at the hotel or with the accounting department to limit WiFi usage by the guests. I literally spent 40% of my device time accessing the wireless network!

Returning to more pleasant thoughts, the hotel has a sizable workout center that adjoins a lap pool with two hot tubs. Not bad for the inside of a city hotel . The locker rooms have saunas set at about 190 degrees Fahrenheit, towels and headsets are complimentary, and there’s even a small track around the gym area in case you’re so obsessed that you’re willing to run in circles like a rodent.

Service at the hotel was splendid. On our first day, I ran into one gentleman with a decade of service who spontaneously gave us a private tour of the ballrooms. Franco on the Executive floor hand-selected our room prior to arrival based on my input over the phone. The lady serving breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres (and cleaning up everyone's mess) was delightful. Someone from the front desk volunteered to come to our room when we were having WiFi connectivity problems (do we sense a theme?). The folks behind the gym counter were easy going and helpful to out-of-towners. The gentlemen outside the front door whom we saw every morning and evening made us feel like family. Even the bellman with whom we checked our bags was cordial.

All in all, I would of course return to the Hilton, because the overall experience was quite special, although I'm hoping management can fix the aforementioned “quirks” beforehand. Until then, I’m giving the hotel 4.5 stars on the coveted Cherry Wonderdog Tripadvisor scale -- which rolls up (just barely) to 5. We found a great seasonal promotional rate through Hilton.com for Chicago hotels, so even though we didn’t find perfection, the Hilton Chicago surely represented the best price-performance value in the area. Hard to beat!

Room Tip: Don't assume that the renovated floors are better and worth the additional cost. They're de...
6  Thank Cherry_Wonderdog

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your very detailed comments regarding your recent stay. I certainly appreciate the time taken to provide us this valuable feedback. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from our staff and to hear you describe us as the “true classic” that we are. I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed our pool and your room accommodations and that you had a sound sleep on the pillow-top king, with its luxurious mattress cover and high density cotton sheets. I’m delighted it all contributed to an excellent stay for you. We thank you for being a HHonors gold status member and for being such a loyal guest to the Hilton brand.
Please accept my apology for your disappointments with the coffee, internet, HCN unit. Please be assured, we take feedback such as yours very seriously and use this feedback to allow us to focus on opportunities for improvements.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I will start with the positives: the hotel is beautiful, well kept and well located. As a tourist, it was easy to find, close to the metro (cta) and walkable to museums, parks, etc. The staff was also friendly.

The reason why I rate it average was because I cannot believe the hotel charges for using the gym, accessing wifi, and even safekeeping your luggage once you check-out. Even though I have been to hotels that charge for wifi, I had NEVER stayed at a hotel/hostel/etc that charged to sfafekeeping your bags and using their gym. I find this ridiculous!

Also, the walls aren't too think because you can hear very well the guests next door. Finally, my sheets had rips.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the beautiful Hilton Chicago, its convenient location to public transportation, museums and parks. I was also pleased to hear you found our staff friendly.
Please accept my apology for your disappointments with the added charges for the athletic club, Wi-Fi and baggage storage. Please be assured, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for a large downtown Chicago hotel. Also, please allow me to apologize for the ripped sheet and the noise from the room next door. Again, we thank you and appreciate your feedback as it is comments such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for any necessary re-training and improvements.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with a great history! Easy access to the magnificent mile (by bus) and museums. I loved the two bathrooms in our two double bed room for our family of four! Breakfast in the on-site restaurant was good!

The staff was great! I especially appreciated the grand customer service provided by Antonio G. (bellman). He was extremely kind, willing and knowledgeable (about the hotel, restaurants, etc). He along with the concierge staff made our stay pleasant!

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from our staff especially; Antonio G. and the Concierge staff and that you enjoyed our beautiful hotel with all its great history. I’m delighted to hear you found us to be easy access to the surrounding magnificent mile, museums and that you loved your two beds, two bathrooms room accommodations.