“Great location, nice hotel. .”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #103 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great location, nice hotel. .”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We've stayed here many times but I've never reviewed this hotel. Just came back from a 4 night stay with my husband for a convention at McCormick Place. We were upgraded to a double suite with a great lake view. The room was in great shape and had a couch, couple chairs, desk, and a wet bar. Nice lighting as well. The bathroom was small and needs an update but it was OK.
The hotel is close to the lakeshore, the museums, shopping, and great dining and theater.
The staff was very business like but accommodating. Had some trouble with the TV and that was fixed immediately.
The gym is large and is open to public membership. The equipment is mid range quality--Life Cycle but pretty basic features. They have a good selection of weights, bands, etc, and there is a running track around the machines. Nice locker rooms.
Room service was fast and good. We did not eat at the hotel restaurants this time.
I will stay here again. Wish I could gush about something but it's just a nice hotel in a city of great hotels. No complaints, no raves. We are HH members so when we head down to Chicago we stay at the best priced Hilton brand hotel at the time in the downtown area.

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to hear of your appreciation of the Hilton Chicago, staff and its great location to the surrounding museums, shopping, dining and theater. I was also very pleased to hear you enjoyed your guestroom accommodations with the great view of the lake, our athletic club and Room Service was fast and good.
Thank you for being loyal guests to the Hilton brand and for being members to our HHonors program.
We look forward to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 17, 2014

During my trip here my cell phone got wet to the point it wasn't working. After i checked in I stepped into the bar near and Guillermo A, asked me if he could help. I explained my situation and asked if I might be able to get some rice to try and dry out my phone. Guillermo stated that he would be glad to help but that he had to deliver a few drinks first. Several times during in the course of his regular job, Guillermo stopped, appoligized to me for being busy and that as soon as he was able he would get some rice. I don't think I had to wait more than 5 minutes he Guillermo was able to run to the kitchen and grab me some rice. I immersed my phone over night and so far so good. Hats off to Guillermo, there are several things he could have done include send me to the restuarant which was in the process of closing if not closed, but instead he offered to help, and did.

Thank you to Guillermo! Excellent customer service above and beyond expectations!

Dave S
Minneapolis, MN

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to hear of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from Guillermo! I am always delighted when I hear a team member goes above and beyond to ensure a great experience for our guests. Please be assured, I will personally “thank” Guillermo and inform him of your appreciation for his service.

Redwood City, California
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Rohan, the bellman, is terrific!!
But, the freaking HCN Navigator screen won't stay off. I guess Hilton management thinks it is okay to turn the damn thing on during the night. They are lucky I didn't throw it out of the window (but, the window is screwed shut to keep insects and spiders out =)
Vito Longo room 1948

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to hear of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from Rohan and to hear he Rocks! I was delighted to hear he was terrific!
Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointment with the HCN unit. Please be assured, we appreciate your feedback especially; as it relates to the HCN unit as it is comments such as yours that allows us to focus on opportunities for improvements.

Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Hilton Chicago is one of my favorite hotels in the Windy City. Built in 1927, the building has a lot of history. Although renovated, the entire hotel retains the architecture and feel of a true classic, The rooms are generous size and the furniture is reflective of the period. Convenient to the Art Institute and Lake Michigan, if desired, the subway is only a few blocks walk on Wabash Ave. and O'Hare is reachable by train with one change.

Room Tip: Get a Lake view and high floor if possible.
Dear David B,
Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the Hilton Chicago and that we are one of your favorite hotels in the windy city. I was also pleased to hear you enjoyed your generous size guestroom and found our location convenient to the surrounding establishments and easy access to the airport.

Benton, United States
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Chicago. Its central location makes it accessible to entertainment, shopping, and great restaurants. The staff is extremely helpful and wonderful to work with.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Cathy S,
Thank you for taking time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us and for recommending us. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the quality of service you received from our staff and our central location to the museums, shopping and great dining establishments.

Cape Cod
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Just returned from a business trip in Chicago. The Hilton was as expected. Large, and historic with a good location. The only real people I came into contact with were the doormen who were amazingly nice and friendly and helpful. The little market in the lobby is also nice. It was understaffed so the service people were stressed.

The lay out of the hotel is odd, that is because it is a historic hotel and has lasted through generations of travelers. I find that Hilton offers fewer and fewer amenities for the price. No water in the rooms, no free wifi unless you are one of their top customers. Small-ish bath amenities etc.

Overall you pay for the location of this hotel. It's walking distance to Miracle Mile, Lincoln park, museums, lake front. it's a short bus ride to McCormick. It's not terribly far to Wrigley or the airports.

I have stayed here before and would return. I just wish they would do more to impress the road weary traveler.....

Room Tip: I had a room with 2 beds AND 2 bathrooms but no view. Depends on your needs. View did not matter t...
Green Features: They have a recycle bin in the rooms. I did hear about their composting efforts and rooftop garden which is great. I applaud that. Guests should be encouraged to recycle and do more for the environment in the rooms. Save water? Don't throw away paper? not sure...
1 Thank Roadlesstvled
Michael H, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our large, historic hotel with a good location to surrounding park and establishments. I was also very pleased to hear of your appreciation with the quality of service you received from our staff especially, the doorman.
Please accept me sincere apology for your disappointments with the added charge and amenities. Please be assured, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricing for a downtown area hotel and that we appreciate your feedback as it is comments such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for improvements.
I’m happy to hear you appreciated our green features. We too are very proud and dedicated to our continual efforts to the Green environment!
We look forward to serving you for many more years in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We were so excited to stay at this hotel, and the location was perfect for us being so close to so many great restaurants and attractions, plus it does have a great view of Lake Michigan. But, the problem that we experienced was that we were initially placed in a parlor suite with the attached bedroom as an upgrade. But, what we learned when security knocked on our door was that the door to the actual bedroom had been mistakenly left open by housekeeping and that our bed was the one on the floor - a murphy bed! When we called the manager on duty to voice our concerns, it was emphasized that even though we didn't book a room with a murphy bed that those were the only rooms they had left! Then, the whole view of Lake Michigan was so emphasized, as it would be a plus of staying in a room with the most uncomfortable bed! Along with incredibly expensive parking, and overly unresponsive staff - apparently, it is okay to not greet your guests as they are walking by, and being helpful isn't a priority. We were told that a Manager would follow-up with us, but we never heard from anyone. Ultimately, we felt quite unwelcome to stay here. It is a shame because the history of the hotel is fascinating, and the location is terrific. But, we will never stay here again. There are far too many better choices in this city for our future trips.

Green Features: Perhaps they are environmentally friendly, but we saw no evidence of this being an actual practice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HalfMarathonTravel
Michael H, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of the history of our historic hotel with a perfect location to great restaurants and attractions and a perfect view of the lake.
Please accept me sincere apology for your disappointments with your room accommodations and the level of service you received from our staff. Please be assured, your incidents are not the typical level of service that we are known for and I’m very disappointed to hear your experience was not a welcoming one and truly hope you will visit us again and give us the opportunity to show you the great hospitality we provide all of our guests. We appreciate your feedback as it is comments such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for any necessary re-training and improvements.
In 2013 we won an award for our sustainability efforts and are very proud and dedicated to our continual practices to the Green environment! Within guests’ use we offer recycling bags in our rooms, recycling bins on our guest floors and we recycle a lot of our environmental work behind the scenes’ with composting, paper, cans and bottle recycling amongst other things.