“Lovely stay”

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #105 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Three of us (mom and 2 adult daughters) showed up mid-morning on a Friday (with a reservation). Without even asking, we were checked in (offered before we agreed to an upgrade) and found our upgraded room, in the renovated part of the hotel well worth the extra tab: 2 full bathrooms!! Room was quiet and clean. Pool was excellent. Would return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,380)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great location for a nice, historic hotel. Rooms are large compared to a lot of other hotels in the area. Faculties are nice, and every interaction with a service staff member was pleasant. I was there for a conference, and found the conference facilities to be great, and we are able to make great use of the facilities.

Not really a complain, but the rooms are older and could probably use an update. Not in a sense that anything was really wrong, but just in the sense that everything seemed a bit old and dingy.

The hotel has obviously paid attention to the common spaces. They are nicely upgraded, while retaining the historic touches where appropriate.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have neutral feeling on this hotel. The room was nice, clean and spacious. I wish they had make up mirrors installed as the lighting in the bathroom is dim. We had a king bed and they only provided two large towels, it would have been nice to have a third to dry hair with. Our room was ready (we were there by noon) so that was nice. The check in person was cold, I didn't have my honors number with me and they grilled me like I was trying to slip something by them by standing in the honors line. When they finally found it the response was, "it's under your husband's name" (which I had indicated it may be and then wouldn't proceed until he was there with me - he was parking the car). We got a decent rate with parking considering it was a weekend in the city. If you wanted a safe, refrigerator or to use the health club, you had to "upgrade". Hate "add on" charges at hotels. It has been remodeled and the addition of more relaxed "Starbucks like" coffee shop is welcome. We had some issues at the restaurant (Kitty O'Sheas) but I will save that review for the restaurant section as I am not positive if it is hotel or independently owned.

Room Tip: Some have been remodeled, some not. If you need a safe, refrigerator or the health club make sure y...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Booked a 1 night stay via our corporate travel booking online site. Chose a standard, non-discounted rate. My meeting changed dates. Hilton wouldn't accept changes done via our corporate booking site.

Took 5 calls and a full hour on hold. Still never reached a human being at the hotel. Called central reservations and was given 45 minute runaround. Three levels of supervisors later I was told--guess what--"Call the hotel"!

The fourth, truly delightful supervisor was very helpful, even though she had to hold for 15 minutes to speak to a human being at the hotel. Finally, after nearly 2 hours of the circle jerk, which I'm sure cost Hilton more than the cost of the reservation, they rebooked me miles away at another hotel in their portfolio. Moral: Do not use this business unfriendly hotel if you need flexibility, quick response, and value.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I would rate the condition of the room I occupied a one star out of five. The service at the front desk was slow and below average. I have stayed at many Hiltons for both business and pleasure, this was by fay my most disappointing. I would not recommend it to any of my business or personal friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Room was spacious, comfortable beds, nice amenities. Best part of the hotel was the indoor pool (which the kids loved) and attached outdoor deck, both of which are not common in central Chicago.

Drawbacks are all somewhat minor: It's a bit farther south than I'd want to be in Chicago normally, but it is only a couple of blocks to an El station. Extra fees for wi-fi, and working out at the gym, which seems like nickle and diming guests, Those are the reasons I didn't give the hotel five stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This past weekend, My girlfriend and I decided to to go to Chicago. Our main goal of the trip was to visit the Shedd Aquarium, and we wanted to find a nice hotel close to the Shedd. We decided on the Hilton Hotel. We arrived in Chicago via the Train. From the Train Station to the Hotel, It was about a $8 or $9 cab ride. Once we arrived at the hotel via cab, We were met in the street by a gentleman from the Hilton who offered to help us with our bags. We only had 2 small bags and didn't need help. He also let us know once in the front door, check in was to the right. We arrived at the hotel around 11 AM, and wasn't sure if we could check in. We walked to the desk, and the gentleman who checked us in was a little over friendly. He was friendly dont get me wrong but was a little too friendly. I don't really like the fake friendly. The friendly were they always call you by Mr so so and no problem Mr. so so. I like to have a regular everyday conversation where my last name doesn't need to be used to start the sentence. They let us check in early which was awesome. We went to the Room which was Room 712. We immediately turned the air down to 65. The coldest our room got was 70.5 the whole stay. The air conditioning wasn't working the best but thats OK. It was a corner room. We had a view of the lake just over the tree tops, and a pretty good view of the street which was nothing special. Sodas in the vending machine are $2. Sodas in the little shop on the first floor are $3 and $4. We didn't have breakfast or any meals at the place. We didn't check out the pool. The bed was comfortable, lots of pillows, and everything was good. I would recommend this hotel for your next stay. Parking is $65 for Valet, and $50 for self park. This is for 24 hours. The concierge desk does offer $38 Shedd Aquarium passes - You must pay with CASH. No credit cards or checks accepted. If you are going to the Shedd, I highly recommend this. The line to buy passes for the Shedd was an hour long, and with this Pass, you just walk right in and start your adventure.

Room Tip: 7th Floor is a great floor. It is over the tree tops, and rooms are not a premium price. 9th floor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple