“Worst hotel I have ever stayed!”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #102 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

There are so many bad things to say, but I will keep it short. This was my first, now last, Hilton I have stayed at. The rooms are dated - I stayed on the 19th floor and you could smell the dust the second you stepped off the very slow elevator. I booked through JetBlue Getaways, which I have done at least 6 times before, with no problems, but I was told at check-in that I needed to print my voucher - I never have printed the voucher because I have never needed it.

Do not waste your money on this hotel. Walking around Chicago, there are many hotels that look so much more inviting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christina M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maine
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here two nights for a work meeting. My room was not renovated, and definately needs it, but it was clean and comfortable. My refridgerator didn't seem to work properly, water left overnight was still warm. My biggest complaint was the temperature in my room. The front desk said that the hotel A/C was not turned on, since it was winter. I left the windows open in my room the entire time, and didn't seem to do much. The executive lounge was small and weak. My first experience with an executive lounge was a major disappointment! The lobby area was renovated and comfortable. Bar area was very cool.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Chicago for meetings during February/March - it is a landmark hotel which has a lot of history but the rooms (sleeping and meeting) are hit or miss. Some floors aren't renovated, there were challenges with the heat where some rooms were too hot and others too cold. In a hot room (over 85) the staff 'fixed' the problem by simply opened a window allowing the freezing Chicago air in. Not really a great fix. Ensure that you get a renovated room. The hotel is a series of connected towers and end rooms can have some lovely views. One of my rooms 979 looked out over Grant Park and the Navy Pier at night. Other rooms faced directly into other rooms - making it mandatory to pull the shades. Some of the meeting rooms were very nice and others are far from the main hotel - difficult to manage a good flow for meeting participants.

Check in was slow, we arrived in the evening as a group and there was only 1 person working the front desk. The line got up to about 20 people waiting to check in. SNAX is a coffee shop/snack location on the main floor which has food all day including an extensive set of options of ready salads and sandwiches - almost like you would expect to see in an airport - and Starbuck's coffee. Overall, if you can get a renovated floor on the end of a tower, the hotel was a great place to stay and a deal in February!

Room Tip: renovated floor, facing the lake (less noise) and towards the end of the tower halls
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TriangleTravelers
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Very nice hotel, I stayed there recently for business. I thought the staff was very friendly. The meals provided during the meetings were good. The room I had was very nice, which was on the executive level. I probably would not stay here if I was on vacation, I did a lot of walking uptown for shopping and restaurants.

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

we had a lovely sea view room in june 2011
the hotel was really great
with lovely breakfast area
Chicago is the BEST city in USA and second only to
my beloved London
The massive parks, Navy Pier , Boat tours , architechture
and socially orientated park ares with free summer concerts
are wonderful.
Not keen on shopping but if you are then State Street is the
great street
We got overnight train to Niagara awesome!!!!
please get HOLD of your tickets for return journey otherwise
the system will cancel you and leave you to walk home 500 miles
or get a plane as we had to
Beaches are fabulous all white sand
What more can I say
Ive been there 3 times
Taize France Christian gathering is really the place that even beats
my london

Room Tip: up high sea view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New England
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This historic and impressive hotel is well-run and beautifully outfitted. I spent a total of 3 nights over 2 stays with 2 different rooms. It's just plain luxurious! Views are spectacular in both directions, but, of course, the lakeview side is the most impressive. I had a very large room with a wet bar for one night, facing the lake, and small single facing the city. The one drawback to the big room was that it was on the bottom of the "U" shaped corridors, and when I had the curtains open to be able to enjoy the view, the rooms facing inward towards the inside of the "U" had clear views of my room. I just made sure the curtains were drawn when I wasn't properly atired, so to speak, and it was fine. I must say I did not like the computer that the hotel has installed at the desks in the rooms, as it seems to come on at will to advertise stuff in the hotel, even after it has been turned off. Instead of a book with hotel information in it, you have to find what you want at this annoying computer. Also, it's a very old hotel, and some of the windows open but others do not, I think because they need repair. But, the heat worked well (my stays were in the dead of winter). One of the best features of this hotel is the convenience store/mini grill called Snax, just off the lobby. There are lots of meal options, including takeaway salads, sandwiches, and entrees, priced much more reasonably than the restaurant. They brew Starbucks there, have excellent pastries and breads, and even have a soup bar for lunch. There is even one of those cool Coke machines that dispenses whatever mix of Fanta and Coke flavors you want. I loved the breakfast egg souffle thing! Sadly, the Irish pub conveniently located in the hotel, Kitty O'Shea's, was closed due to light hotel occupancy. What??? Why not shut down that stark lobby bar with disappointing service instead of the cozy pub? Who doesn't like a pint in an Irish pub...I can think of a lot of people that would not be comfortable in that lobby bary. Anyway, that was my biggest gripe. Otherwise, great experience and would stay there again any day.

Room Tip: Gotta love the lake views! Be sure to ask which way the room faces.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four days for a business conference with about 1200 participants. The hotel ran like a well oiled machine from check in to check out. I was pleasantly surpised to see a smile on EVERY staff members face that I encountered. They were always willing to go the extra mile and were very helpful. We had hot meals served three times a day and the food was actually hot and very good. My only suggestion would be to serve more fruit as an alternative to dessert on the buffets.