“Do not waste your money”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #103 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My sister and I stayed on the 22nd floor, there was a refrigerator in the hallway for the first three nights, beat up and old dorm style. It was not until we told the concierge that we were going to post the picture we took of it on Tripadvisor did the thing get removed. Breakfast dishes left outside rooms will stay on the floor for a day or two routinely.

All night there are chimes that make noise, that are supposed to be comformting or relaxing and rather they are just annoying.

There is no wifi - no matter what they tell you, I paid for the wifi, and still we were unable to get on.

Lastly, my sister and I split the bill, I had already paid for the first night in form of a deposit and they gave her the credit. Room cost with city taxes etc. was 313.69 a night. I know the Comfort Inn just a few blocks away is significantly cheaper! So while the View was wonderful, it is NOT worth the money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jacqueline S
DMcArdle, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments in regard to your recent stay. It appears we fell short in meeting your expectations and for this we sincerely apologize.

Please except our apologies on the inconveniences you experienced with housekeeping, internet service, billing and noise. Please be assured, our goal is to always provide the best service possible and we take comments such as yours very seriously. It is feedback such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for additional training and improvement.
We look forward to the opportunity to many more years of serving you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hiltons are known.

Damien G. McArdle
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here the night before the Chicago marathon and everything was perfect. Our room had two beds and two separate bathrooms. The service was perfect and the staff friendly and helpful. Considering how swamped they were the morning of the marathon, they still delivered excellence service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2012

As a rule, I try to stay away from hotels that are as big as small cities, but an emergency trip to Chicago necessitated a third party making my reservation. Good news, I wasn't disappointed. tAnd although I was booked in another Hilton for the 2nd night (my original reservation), I cancelled that one to stay here for 2 nights rather than one (the front desk was very helpful in figuring out the logistics and the most advantageous price, which was even better than my original hotel). if the weather had been a bit warmer, I would have taken advantage of it being right across from McCormick Park, but I got there too late in the day for it to be comfortable to do that.

The room was a nice size (two double beds), as was the bathroom. Plenty of pillows, although I would have preferred down instead of foam (not a big deal). There was a computer monitor set up with "Welcome, MY NAME" greeting me as soon as I walked in. They offer some free services on this computer (such as some local restaurant suggestions, but full Internet access is costly).

Room service had a nice choice and was prompt, but WAY too expensive compared to other hotels (the bill was more than double the cost of the food I ordered due to excessive fees). In the morning, rather than pay $50 for a nothing-special breakfast, I walked down to the lobby and at the Starbucks coffeeshop was able to get a delicious bowl of freshly made steel-cut outmeal with brown sugar & raisins on the side, to go (self serve), for $5, and I prepared my own coffee in my room using the in-room coffee maker (The Starbucks also had a full choice of pastries, muffins & coffees for those not so inclined.)

The gym was large, with many treadmills, stairsteppers & ellipticals, as well as a fully equipped weight room, surrounded by a running track (unfortunately, I couldn't find the distance per lap posted anywhere, although I;m sure the staff would have been able to tell me. The locker room was also roomy with different size lockers available (key available at the desk for asking), with plenty of towels, a nice blow-drying area with all sorts of toiletries available, and a lovely hot sauna. There is also a pool and a spa, but unfortunately,I didn't have time to use them.

As this location is only about a mile and a half from the Merchandise Mart, I fully intend to stay here again even if I'm not attending a convention.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Didn't expect much from this conference-oriented hotel knowing some of the rooms (including the one I was assigned) are on the smaller, dated side. However, the overall experience over several days was positive and I can see why it is such a popular destination for business and leisure travelers.

What wasn't great:

1. "King Room" consumed mainly by the bed, requiring me to store my luggage and other bags in the closet to have any walking space.
2. Un-adjustable desk chair designed more for sitting than working.
3. Dated old monitor/gaming system taking up desk space.
4. Annoying, dated menu system requiring multiple keystrokes to get to the regular TV menu. I solved this problem by leaving the TV on when I left the room.
5. No laundry bag left by housekeeping any of the days of my stay. To be fair I didn't ask.
6. Long lines at the SNAX center. Why not have one line for folks ordering food and another for those just picking up water, etc?

What made up for it:

1. Very quiet, well ventilated space albeit with no view whatsoever. Great sleeping.
2. The fastest elevators of any hotel I've been in recently.
3. Plenty of bell staff ready when and where you needed them (thanks Nick, Pat, Brett, and all)
4. Helpful, pleasant concierge team
5. Convenient Fedex centers (2)
6. While I didn't use myself, colleagues raved about the hotel pool.
7. While not on the Miracle Mile, an easy walk to inexpensive carryout food like Corner Bakery. Less frenetic for walking around the neighborhood.

For a business stay, this hotel is well situated and priced. It's some distance from the N. Michigan corridor but very convenient to art museum and theatre district. Would try it again and ask for a room on the higher floors which have been modernized.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Chicago during the 2012 Chicago Marathon, and while it was busy with marathoners, we had a great stay. Everyone was very helpful and room service was great! The room we had was pretty good, no view, but we didn't stay inside much so we didn't care about that! We LOVED the fact that it had two bathrooms (every hotel should have this feature), but were disappointed there wasn't a fridge or microwave to keep the expensive drinks and food you could buy downstairs either cool or warm (and there was space for both). Thought that was strange. I'm pretty sure the beds were doubles; I think we were expecting at least queens for what we paid! But they weren't small enough to keep us from going back. We did love the fact that you could walk to the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, and various other places that were on our agenda through the park across the street. That was a great surprise! The restaurants downstairs were pretty good and we also ate at the pub one night, which wasn't bad. Overall, a great first trip to Chi-town!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We booked the Hilton Chicago online via an opaque service where you name your own price, at a substantial discount off rack rate. Check-in was easy and we were assigned a high room with two beds that had evidently been recently re-modeled. This was a wheelchair-accessible room, but rather than compromise, the room had two bathrooms, a standard shower/tub, and a roll-in shower. The furnishings were clean and modern, the bedding comfortable, and climate control worked well. When I was ready to depart, I tried to check-out using the automated TV system, but it was non-functional. Bad Hilton.

Now my big complaint: There was a computer monitor of some sort in the room (flat panel display) which was welcoming me to the room by name, and pushing me to interact with it. This was both creepy and annoying--very reminiscent of the billboards calling after Mr. Anderton in MINORITY REPORT. And like those billboards, I couldn't seem to get the monitor to turn off and leave me alone. I was ready to defenestrate the whole thing. It even woke me up in the morning by it's lighting up the otherwise dark room. Furthermore, this monitor had a webcam built-in to it, aimed directly at the bed. VERY inappropriate. In the future, if such consoles appear in hotel rooms I will demand that the hotel either remove it or provide a covering to hide it. You should, too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here in the summer of 2012 and were very happy with the rooms. The rooms were roomy and the beds very comfortable. The service was excellent even though we were there at a very busy time. Very clean and comfortable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family