“An Elegant Octogenarian”

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #103 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Wow, I hope I look this good at 85+ years old! Consider this. Tens of thousands of twenty-somethings (and younger) descended upon Grant Park, directly across from the Hilton Chicago, to participate in the annual music festival known as Lollapalooza, and thousands of those revelers camped out in the rooms of the Hilton Chicago. Although the lobbies were always filled - and from the looks of things, all the rooms, too - my business-class corner room was totally quiet. I heard nothing but music from the festival grounds. The view was fantastic, facing east toward the park and the Lake. To the north I could see Navy Pier, allegedly Chicago’s number one tourist attraction. The bed was incredible; I didn’t want to leave it. The shower worked perfectly, the amenities were quality, the Wi-Fi fast, and the room itself quite spacious. In the bathroom was a built-in night light (see the photo). Ah, such joy. Don’t you hate to turn on bright lights in the middle of the night for a short run to the facilities… All of the hotel personnel were polite and thoughtful, and bearing in mind the pressure of a hotel filled with what seemed to be mostly kids on spring break, they were accommodating beyond the call of duty. The hotel is perfectly located – easy walking distance to all sorts of public transportation, a variety of restaurants, Millennium Park, Navy Pier, shopping, theaters, everything. The Hilton Chicago itself has a fascinating history. Read about it here in Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilton_Chicago

Room Tip: Grab a lake-facing room if you can.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had two rooms here from August 2-6. My daughters attended Lollapalozza across the street in Grant Park and my wife and I toured the city. We purchased lake view rooms overlooking Grant Park and had a wonderful and lively view of the concerts. The hotel is beautiful and well maintained and I was very impressed with how the staff handled concertgoers with gentle firmness, particularly during the weather evacuation when they flooded the hotel all at once. There is a taxi stop for six or seven taxis in front of the hotel making transportation very easy. We had rooms 1314 and 1370. Both were modern and clean with spectacular views. Cons: Wireless internet is free in the lobby but pricey in the rooms. Also, the front desk line moves slowly and the staff forgot to call me when my rooms were ready. But we were treated very nicely by everyone at the hotel and were impressed. We had meals at both the Irish pub and the lobby hotel. Both were good. Great experience overall.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel is very good. First, the entry is very fancy, with old-fashioned opulence. The main entry had both a door and a revolving door, which allows for easy access (especially when you're carrying stuff). The lobby is well air-conditioned and quite refreshing (despite how hot and humid it was outside). The beds in our room were comfortable. Our room had two bathrooms! There is a pool on floor eight, which was just the right temperature (not too hot, not too cold). There was also a fitness center that had a running track! The service at the hotel was very nice -- they gave us a free upgrade even though we had purchased our room through a set deal. The only minor problem with this hotel is that you have to make sure to choose the right elevator to get to your floor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Great lobby. Even if you don't stay here check out the michigan ave entrance. This is the way hotels should look. Great lobby bar and Irish pub and the location can't be beat. A walk thru grant park in am in summer is superb
Be warned a lake view room has a really small window unless I assume you pay way more
Check in staff was great
Housekeeping? Took them until 5pm to get to my room but in fairness I was working in room this am until 11am with do not disturb sign out
Nice place great location wonderful history
Will stay again

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank BernDude
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Hotel is in excellent shape for something that's 100+ years old. Great ambiance and well-maintained. Few small issues... if you're on a low to mid-floor, you'll have to take 2 elevators to get to the exec lounge. Parking is also extremely expensive but that goes with the location. I was also charged for internet as a HHonors Gold member but that was rectified upon talking to the HH desk. Lastly, my room had one bed and two bathrooms - not complaining, just odd.

Room Tip: High Floors for easy access to Exec Lounge!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have stayed in quite a few hotels but I always seem to have poor experiences at the Hilton. This particular experience was one of the worst. I paid a premium price for my room. The hotel room was dirty and in need of remodeling, the hotel staff was overall very unfriendly and everything that was usually included in my other hotel rooms was an added charge at this hotel. I had to pay for parking (almost $50 a day), gym use and even the internet. They didn't even have wireless available to customers for free. I manage a small business and we would NEVER think of charging our customers for wireless internet. Just when I thought I got out of there without them finding another way to charge me for something they tacked on another day of parking at the gate since I didn't "get out before 3PM". Even though I arrived at 6PM the previous day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
DMcArdle, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback Please accept our sincerest apology for any disappointments you experienced during your stay. Our goal is to always provide the finest in guest services and from what I understand we failed to do so in this instance. Please be assured, your experience is not typical standards of the Hilton Chicago.
Please allow me to take this opportunity to inform you of a renovations project we recently underwent that included some of our guestroom accommodations. This project brought new modern rooms with added amenities such as an in-room safe and refrigerator. We hope you visit us again and experience a newly renovated room.
Please be assured, we work hard to maintain one of the most competitive pricings for the downtown area on added charges. With this being said, I am excited to inform you that as of January 1st 2012 we started offering complimentary wireless internet access in the lobby and restaurants of our hotel.
We truly hope you will allow us future opportunity to serve you again in the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Damien G. McArdle
Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Firstly I want to say in my experience, hilton hotels are far superior to starwood properties. I would always recommend hiltons over starwood.

That said, this hotel did not disappoint. It is so grand when you walk in - beautiful and opulent! We are hilton honors diamond elite members, and the service was superb. Our room was very nice, with a great corner view of the Navy Pier. However, I should note that the room was very small.

The executive lounge had very good breakfast, and nice views. The service in the lounge however was not up to par. There was one woman there and she was pretty rude.

Overall the hotel was beautiful, in a great location for us on business and had overall great service. If you are staying as a tourist however, note you may need to take cabs often. This hotel is not really within walking distance to a lot of places. Other than that, I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business