“Wonderful Historic Hotel”

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #103 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I am so thankful that I reserved a room at the Chicago Hilton through priceline and got a superb price; otherwise I would never have stayed at this lovely hotel. Our room had one king bed, a sofa bed, and two bathrooms on opposite sides of the room. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever had in a hotel. We used room service one evening for dinner, and the food was very good. We also had lunch in the hotel dining room and were impressed by the service and enjoyed the food, as well. I recommend googling the history of the hotel before you go because it's very interesting. This hotel has hosted every president of the US since it was opened. The Grand Ballroom is gorgeous and enormous. The location of the hotel is excellent, too, a nice walk to the shops of the Mag Mile and close to Grant Park, Millennium Park, and the museum campus. I would love to return here sometime if I could again get such a good price. I wouldn't call it a super luxury hotel, though I believe they do have some very luxurious suites. But it's a really nice hotel that makes for a very pleasant visit to the Windy City.

Room Tip: We did not have a good view, but there are rooms with beautiful views of the lake. If that's imp...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hilltraveler
There are newer reviews for Hilton Chicago

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had a pretty good rate for a Hilton Hotel. When I arrived with my grandkids I asked the reservation clerk if I met get a room with a view, due to having two kids with me who'd never seen a city this size. The clerk gave us a corner room on the 23rd floor with a great view of the Chicago skyline and Lake Michigan. The room was big enough. The bathroom was a nice size for the kids. The swimming pool was clean and the kids really enjoyed swimming at the end of one of our busy days. We were walking distance-close to Millennium Park, Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, and walks in Grant Park were right across the street. The staff in the hotel restaurant were great with the kids, and went out of their way to make our meals special and give the kids what they wanted. This was the best hotel experience I've ever had, and I've traveled quite a bit. I can't say enough about this hotel's wonderful staff. Next time I travel - whether alone or with kids -- I'm booking a Hilton.

Room Tip: Ask at the Front Desk if there are any rooms with views or rooms that meet your needs if you booked...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank milestogo56
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Old world grandeur in the lobby, but the rooms are strictly today's typical Hilton.
Our junior suite had a tiny bathroom with a single sink, no counterspace, no make-up mirror and almost no light.
Lighting throught the room looked as if they were using 20 watt bulbs.
The living room was spacious with a lovely view, but the bedroom was so small that you had to dodge furniture on the way from the bed to the bathroom or risk bruising your shins.
The price and location were very good, but this just isn't the luxury hotel it's trying to be.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

1. Front desk attendant insisted on asking different credit card saying "Your card didn't go through" when she got "Processor Not Available" message on the computer screen. When processor is not available, it doesn't mean card didn't go through it means Hilton is not able to accept my card for that moment, when I explained her she could process my card old school way (knuckle buster or photo copy) she replied "we don't have that/we don't do that"). I was forced to use a credit card that I didn't want to. She not only did not show ignorance or unwilling to work with us, she did not exhibited any smiling welcome. Hilton should train their staff better.

2. Mattress is one of the cheapest one I have ever seen in an hotel, last time I slept on a such springy mattress was at my dorm room. Any movement on the left side of the bed, was causing earthquake on the right side. That is not becoming to Hilton.

3. Toilet paper was terrible, there is no excuse to such toilet paper, it was so thin and torn apart easily and harsh on skin. Does Hilton really think some one who chooses or can afford to stay in a Hilton, is accustomed to such awful toiletry.

4. You could see an inch thick accumulated dust in the bathroom air went while showering.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
DMcArdle, Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It appears as if we fell short in meeting your expectations and for this we sincerely apologize. It is feedback such as yours that enables us to focus on opportunities for training and improvement. Please be assured, I will personally speak with the Front Desk department head to ensure such incidents do not reoccur.

Again, please accept our sincerest apology for all of your disappointing experiences. We hope it was not too big of an inconvenience for you. We truly hope you will allow us future opportunity to serve you again with the true spirit of hospitality for which Hilton Hotels are known.

Damien G. McArdle
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Chicago hotel..Had a decent view of Grant Park..I traveled with my daughter who also enjoyed the hotel. I was so happy i upgraded to a room with two bathrooms. The staff was nice and very helpful..Clean and comfortable room. Would i stay there again...YES!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel is located in a great area within walking distance of shops , entertainment and food!
Rooms are clean and the staff is great - had one problem with check-in - but was not a big problem. Would recommend to any for a stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Lake - not another building!
Reviewed June 25, 2012

What a beautiful, historic, fine hotel. Service was wonderful, from the excellent lobby bar to the housekeepers turning in a lost pair of rx glasses and the hotel expressing them to me after I inquired. We had a little trouble with the room temp, but that is understandable for the age of the hotel & considering that the sun was beating on our LAKE VIEW windows (so wonderful). Very handy to the events in Grant Park, and walking distance to the museums and the Art Institute. If I ever stay anywhere else in the Loop, it won't be because it was my choice!

Room Tip: Don't leave your lake view windows open overnight! The heat from the rising sun expands them, ha...