“Flat screen computer annoying, lounge isnt that great”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #101 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toledo, OH
“Flat screen computer annoying, lounge isnt that great”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I have stayed erea couple times. While this property isn't awful, it isn't my favorite hilton property either. I prefer the Palmer House or Wit.

Location isn't that great compared to the other two properties. It's a decent walk from the L if you have luggage and are flying and if you are coming from Ohare you need to transfer train lines. In nice weather I don't mind the walk to go shopping, but it is is a hike in bad weather. I usually drive and park my car when I stay here and parking at the hotel is expensive but there is a garage owned by another company directly behind the hotel that is only $25 a day with in/out privledges that is secured. Taxis are easy to get at this property.

The exec level on 24 is accessible without an elevator key card which is nice for a fast checkin. The lounge leaves a lot to be desired here. I didn't find the food offerings to be very good at all, I don't typically drink alcohol at Hilton Exec Lounges, but if you do they only have beer and wine which the attendant gets for you and you fill out a drink chit. There is no full service bar like at most lounges. I have never seen them enforce access either, there is a diamond card you are to show the attendant at the front desk and I have never seen them ask anyone to show it for access.

I have eaten on site a few times here and the food is good and reasonably priced for hotel food. I really like Kitty O'Sheas.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jamesteroh
HiltonChicago720, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear jamesteroh,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at The Hilton Chicago. I appreciate your feedback and will address your comments with the appropriate departments. Our executive lounge staff is very good at remembering faces and names of those who check in, so even though they might not look like they are policing the lounge - they are. :) Thank you again for your comments and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 26, 2011

The Chicago Hilton is a large, historic hotel with a lot of character, but it is ready for some updating and maintenance. The location is very close to Grant Park, the aquarium, and the Art Institute, but is about a 25 minute walk to the heart of Michigan Ave. While there is nothing bad about this hotel, there is nothing especially outstanding either. I think the best aspect of this hotel is the gym on the 8th floor -- it is large, up to date, and very clean. Definitely check it out for a great workout. There is also an indoor pool and hot tub. The rooms are very average, check in was quick, and housekeeping was pretty reliable (although I didn't get new soap, shampoo or conditioner all week).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Megan S
Dear MGreulich,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at The Hilton Chicago. I am happy to report that we will be undergoing a renovation in the fall of 2011 to freshen up our guestrooms and corridors. We are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our state of the art athletic club and the pool/hot tub. Next time, please call down to the front desk and tell them your situation with the bathroom amenities and we'll be sure to restock them for you. I'm sorry for that inconvenience. Thank you again for your review and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!
hot springs village
Reviewed June 26, 2011

My sister and I stayed at the Chicago Hilton at the last minute when weather canceled a sidetrip to the Michigan shore. We loved it. We had a 21st floor room with a view and used the executive elevators. The room was large and comfortable. The staff, especially the concierge, was very helpful. We could walk to most downtown attractions and restaurants. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Book at the last minute worked for us.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Marcia U
Dear marcia2465,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Hilton Chicago and for your great review. I will be sharing your wonderful comments with our staff! Thank you again for your comments and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The rooms are comfort and the staff accommodating however the food is not what you would expect from a hotel of the Hilton's standard. My biggest grip are the extra charges. I have never been charged extra by any hotel to receive a small parcel (book from Amazon) or store my bags on check out whilst waiting for the bus to the airport. They also charge for the internet $35 for 5 days.

The advise from the concierge on trips, where to eat etc was not great as talked out of buying a go-card with the price of the attractions included to a trolley bus pass with no attractions included on the grounds that the go-card finished at 5.30. Only to find the trolley bus pass also finished at 5.30 and you were not able to queue jump as you would with a go-card.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear iyoung54,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Hilton Chicago. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you experienced in regards to the extra charges for certain amenities we offer. If you are interested in becoming an HHonors member, additional amenities such as internet access become complimentary. I will also address your comments with the concierge to see if we have the most accurate information to help our guests. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 23, 2011

After looking for a decent hotel. God's favor found us this hotel. I wasn't so sure about because some reviews weren't all that great.
We arrived about 6:30 am, they allowed us to check into the room. Yipee!
Our room was on the 11th floor (non-smoking, 2 double beds) and after I laid in the bed, I could smell smoke. I asked the housekeeper to get me some more sheets.
Before I knew it the supervisor was at the door, checking out the room. I told her it wasn't that big of a deal, but she insisted on taking care of us. She had Calvin come a remove all the sheets and covers and they replaced them with new ones.
The housekeeping staff was extremely Friendly and Professionally. I felt like my need was their priority and that made me feel really good!
I do have some complaints...the lady at the concierge's desk didn't tell us we had to cross the street to catch the bus! We managed! LOL!
My biggest complaint is that the bathroom did NOT have a fan!! Ugh!
The hotel should also update the carpet in the hallways and in the rooms (or at least on the 11th floor), or maybe even a really good cleaning, it would look a lot better.
However, it was really neat that the room had a computer that said welcome and had information for me for free. That was cool!
I am really big on customer service, because for many people/companies...its is lost, but NOT for Chicago Hilton!
Great Job Chicago Hilton!!!!! 2 thumbs up to the staff!

Room Tip: Exceptional staff, very friendly
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dear kayxd1,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at The Hilton Chicago. Thank you for your kind words in regards to our service from our housekeepers and entire staff. I am happy to report that we will be undergoing a renovation in the fall of 2011 to freshen up our guestrooms, so I hope you get the opportunity to come back and see us after the renovations. Thank you again for your time in posting this review and we hope to host you again soon!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Not unlike an apt. ad, cozy reads small. Reading reviews before booking, I was forewarned. The bed, QUITE comfy; I slept well and awoke refreshed - no mean feat for one with a night lifestyle having to attend early morning activities. The lake view, always hypnotizing ...it was unfortunate that I had no time to experience the Blues Fest in the park catercorner to the hotel. Arriving 3 hrs before check-in, my room was ready in 1.5 hrs. w/no extra charge. My PC was activated within 45 min., although told the problem may take 2 hrs to resolve. I also had no problem (upon check-out) storing my luggage for a sm. fee, as this allowed me to stroll Michigan Ave & lunch outside at a nearby establishment until the shuttle picked me up.

My only complaint is my coffee supplies were never restocked. I hate styrofoam cups, but it beats a blank :o) I called Customer Srvc Sunday for more cups, to no avail (we waited 45 or so min.). Hoping they'd left the requested cups, Sunday night I went back downstairs to the lobby's Lakeside Green & the young lady (Mashakki?) accommodated me with 2 Starbucks cups & cuffs,+ stirrers (I was informed the concierge desk had JUST closed).

Room Tip: The lakeview rooms are worth the upcharge.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Wedding- block of rooms reserved. Most had rooms on top floors, nice view, large rooms.Several other couples including ourselves, had room so small could not walk around bed. King sized bed was the room. Large desk was almost up against the side of the bed. Dresser and TV right at the foot/side of the bed. View was of a gravel roof and two walls. Very dark. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Tray and tissue holder were tarnished. We felt cheated because we paid same rate as those who had top floors and larger rooms. (They did not upgrade).If booking for wedding, make sure all are in same grade of rooms. We were embarrassed to invite any of the family to our room. There was not room to move with just two people.
Not happy.Do not feel price justified room.

Room Tip: Ask about room location when booking
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JosefGP
HiltonChicago720, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at the Hilton Chicago. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you experienced in regards to felling your room was inadequate compared to the rest of the wedding block. I have addressed your concerns the Event Manager and the Director of Front Office. Please feel free to voice your comments with our front desk staff during your stay so we can assist you in finding comfortable and comparable accommodations. I am happy to report that we will be undergoing a renovation at the end of the year that will freshen up our guest rooms. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!