“Top Notch on Nearly Every Account”
Review of Hilton Chicago

Hilton Chicago
Ranked #105 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Nearly everything about this hotel was wonderful, and I got a fantastic price on Priceline.

I was in Chicago for a quick weekend to attend a friend's wedding, and shared the room with my (adult) niece. From the moment I checked in, I could tell that the stay would be great. Despite arriving very early - my flight got into Midway at 11AM, I was able to check in right away. Staff at the check in desk were very friendly and accomodating. The room was very clean and comfortable, a nice size, and was set-up perfectly for sharing, two beds, two closets, two bathrooms.

This is a very large place with lots of meeting space, and is popular for weddings and conventions, and the weekend we stayed was no exception. The lobby area was always bustling and busy, and is perfect for people watching. Because we were in town for a wedding, we didn't spend much time in the hotel restaurants, but did have a very nice - if pricy - breakfast buffet in the very casual lobby restaurant. It was fast, and the made to order omelettes were especially tasty.

If anything could have been better, it would have been nice to be a tiny bit farther north, but that's really just nitpicking. The hotel is located very close, within easy walking distance, of Grant Park, Millenium Park, and the Art Institute, and everything in the Loop. Though it's a bit south, we even easily walked to Watertower Place and back.

All in all, a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2beds, 2baths rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bookish12866
HiltonChicago720, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at The Hilton Chicago. I was very happy to read your very detailed comments and learn of your appreciation with every aspect of your stay with us from the check-in process, guest rooms, and breakfast in the Pavilion Restaurant. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff and General Manager. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,386)

Reviewed May 18, 2011

Good location, fairly clean hotel. Unfortunately, our non-smoking room wreaked of smoke after we checked in. Promptly brought it to the attention of Customer Service, who after much discussion, informed me they could only offer me another room on their smoking floor which was all they had available! I find it hard to believe I was in the only open non smoking room in a hotel the size of the Hilton Chicago. Customer service offered to have housekeeping come freshen the room, I don't believe they ever did because it still wreaked of smoke when we returned later in the evening. For the price, there are nicer, more modern options where I have received better service in downtown Chicago. The W, Hyatt Towers, and Palmer House Hilton all come to mind.

Bottom line, my experience at the Hilton Chicago was average at best.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cheechman32
HiltonChicago720, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2011

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay with us. I am sorry to read your comments regarding the smokey smell in your non-smoking guest room. Thank you for bringing it to our attention right away, but I'm sorry our response did not meet your satisfaction. I will address your comments with the Director of Housekeeping and the Director of Front Office Operations. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.
Thank you again for your comments and your time in completing this review.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

We booked at priceline,it is really a good value. the location is convienient. everything is good.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your first stay at The Hilton Chicago. I was very happy to read your comments and learn of your satisfaction with your stay. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 12, 2011

I arrived in the morning, but the woman at the desk offered me options to have a room immediately. The restaurants had great food reasonably priced with terrific staff members who were friendly and helpful. The staff answered my questions about the locations of rooms and neighborhood venues and were generally really fabulous. I would definitely stay there again when I return to Chicago.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your first stay at The Hilton Chicago. I was very happy to read your great comments and learn of your appreciation with every aspect of your stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff and General Manager. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Well just to start with this hotel has a lot of history. It is a beautiful hotel with a very nice and helpful staff. Kitty o' Sheas (the restaurant) is amazing. The rooms are quite spacious and comfortable. If you are staying on the front side of the hotel you have a great view of Lake Michigan. If you are staying on the other side you have a view of the "Windy City." The pool and fitness center are in the best condition possible, and the pool is heated all year so if you go in the winter, YOU CAN SWIM! So if you're going to Chicago any time soon stay here, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: To get the best room sign up for upgrades.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
HiltonChicago720, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your first stay at The Hilton Chicago. I was very happy to read your great comments and learn of your appreciation with every aspect of your stay from your guest room, to Kitty O'Shea's, to the fitness center and pool. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff and General Manager. Thank you again for your comments and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon!

Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed recently at the Hilton after getting a great price on priceline.com. The hotel itself is beautiful, and while it is south of the Magnificent Mile, we had decent walking shoes so we walked to pretty much everything closeby. The room was smaller than we expected, but given the price and location, we were fine with it. Front desk did offer to upgrade to a lake view for an additional $50 a night, which we didn't accept. Good service, and a nice, historic place to stay on a quick visit to the city.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
HiltonChicago720, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

Management Response:
Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at The Hilton Chicago. I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your time here. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton on Michigan Ave on Easter weekend. I called the morning before arriving to confirm my reservation and was told I may arrive for an early check-in at no extra charge. when we arrived I asked for an upgrade, which they did give us a 2 bed, 2 bathroom upgrade. The room is super small, but we were never in the room anyhow. It was nice having the 2nd bathroom since we had a teenage girl and boy with us. One bathroom has a stand up shower while the other has a bathtub. The beds were small, but worked, especially considering I shared my bed with my neice and it was fine and my husband shared his bed with our son, no complaints from anyone. The pool and jacuzzi were very busy, but we still managed to get a spot and enjoy the jacuzzi tub. BTW-there are 2 jaccuzis by the pool, so that was a plus. The pool is very large, and I'm sure one of the largest you'll find in Dowtown Chicago.
The location was ok, we wanted to be as close to the museums as possible. The Shed and Field Museum are both within walking distance. We did get an all day bus pass on the second day, since the museum of Science and Industry is way to far to walk. The bus pass was only $5.75 each and we ended up going from the hotel to the museum, to Ed Debevics, Navy Pier, and Willis Tower, so it was well worth the cost. Much cheaper than a taxi cab would have been. There wasn't really any restaurants close by, except for Buddy Guy's Legends. Do yourself a favor and go there, I had the BEST jambalaya ever, no wonder its rated in the top ten of the taste of chicago. My neice had the Gumbo and it was also fantastic. Stay away from the chicken, husband and son had that, they both said it was dry. While we were there, we even got to enjoy some blues music. My first ever experience and it was awesome. Also you can bring kids as long as its before 8 pm, and btw- after 9 pm its a $20.00 cover to get in..We were there on a Friday night, so not sure if that cover is every night.
There was a liquor store by the hotel which was an easy walk for beer, pop or wine and I must say they have a HUGE selection of wine, plus on that Friday they had a wine tasting event going on at the store, so I was able to try a sample of $80.00 bottle of wine that I will never buy.
If you get the bus pass, ask the concierge at the hotel to write down what #'s or name of roads that you have to get on/off at. That way if your not familiar with the area your aren't questioning every bus driver to which stop you need to get on/off at.
I am appalled that the Hilton charged me $7.68 for a bottle of water that I never touched. Its ridiculous that they would even leave the bottle of water in your room, with no note stating how much it cost. Now I did call the hotel today when I saw the charge on my account and they said they are reversing the charge, but I still think charging that amount for water is CRAZY! Also there is no internet service????? I did stay at the Hilton, right??
Overall, it was a good stay, but paying $159.00 a night(Included parking-booked on Travelocity) I do think the hotel could have included breakfast and internet, but we are in Chicago.
Always, Always ask for an upgrade, the worst they will do is say no.
BTW- I did ask for a late checkout and we got one, at no charge.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank rebe_9
HiltonChicago720, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2011

Dear Traveler,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. Your review was very thorough and gave a very accurate description of our location and offerings in and around the hotel. I'm sorry for the experience you encountered with the bottled water in your guest room and I will address it with the appropriate department. We appreciate your thoughtful suggestions. It was a pleasure to read your comments regarding your stay and we hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for your time in completing and posting this review.